Will expensive ram give me more performance than cheap ram?

Cantaloupeman
1 minute ago, Scatoogle said:

Better than the one he had and he's obviously not willing/able to get anything better.

even if he's not willing, that doesnt mean you should recommend something that will catch fire ;)

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

I've seen a lot of people here recommend ATX boards with only 2 slots.

if i see people recommend that board i like to tell them what idiots they are, for all of 15 bucks more you can get a board with all the toys that will not make it a shitshow going into the future.

5 minutes ago, Scatoogle said:

Better than the one he had and he's obviously not willing/able to get anything better.

Thanks for backing me up on that one. Im curious though what makes it a potato? I mean all it does is supply power to the pc. If its a reliable brand and outputs enough power for your parts it should be fine right?

1 minute ago, Cantaloupeman said:

Thanks for backing me up on that one. Im curious though what makes it a potato? I mean all it does is supply power to the pc. If its a reliable brand and outputs enough power for your parts it should be fine right?

Reliable brand doesn't mean reliable PSU.  A bad PSU can fry your entire system.  If you look at reviews, you'll see plenty of people complaining about failure.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Reliable brand doesn't mean reliable PSU.  A bad PSU can fry your entire system.  If you look at reviews, you'll see plenty of people complaining about failure.

Okay that makes sense.

27 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Are there even any games that use more than 4GB of RAM?  The most that I've seen is 3GB.  I can't imagine why you would need 16GB or more for several years.  I have 16GB for virtual machines, but that didn't improve any gaming performance going when I upgraded from 8GB.

I've seen 19gb ram usage in Rise of the Tomb Raider and GTAV at 4k, I had memory crash issues with 2x8gb sticks and hence why I now have 32gb. Only those 2 games and only at 4k, but that was on 2x 970's and I have a feeling textures were been loading into ram

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, Cantaloupeman said:

And if i did go with the 6600k with ur build how much more performance would i get out of it oc'd than a 6500?

when gaming, depends on how cpu heavy it is, in cpu dependant workloads, this much:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6500/3503vs3513

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

I've seen 19gb ram usage in Rise of the Tomb Raider and GTAV at 4k, I had memory crash issues with 2x8gb sticks and hence why I now have 32gb. Only those 2 games and only at 4k, but that was on 2x 970's and I have a feeling textures were been loading into ram

I have Rise of the Tomb Raider, and it uses around 2GB at 1080p.  I don't see why it would jump to over 9 times that at 4K.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

what.. the.. fuck.. do you do to your system memory...

i have 16 gigs, and no matter what i do, the only thing that gets me past the 12 gig line is minecraft with "a not quite sensible amount" of mods.

I have Rise of the Tomb Raider, and it uses around 2GB at 1080p.  I don't see why it would jump to over 9 times that at 4K.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

what.. the.. fuck.. do you do to your system memory...

i have 16 gigs, and no matter what i do, the only thing that gets me past the 12 gig line is minecraft with "a not quite sensible amount" of mods.

Did you actually read the whole post?

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

the thing is, those two games gladly run on 8GB system ram for plenty of forum users, and off all my tests with stupid resolutions (if you've seen my monitor setups, you know you're talking to insane res) i've never actually seen it impact system memory *at all*.

in fact, i've not even really seen much of a rise in VRAM going up to stupid res ;)

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the thing is, those two games gladly run on 8GB system ram for plenty of forum users, and off all my tests with stupid resolutions (if you've seen my monitor setups, you know you're talking to insane res) i've never actually seen it impact system memory *at all*.

in fact, i've not even really seen much of a rise in VRAM going up to stupid res ;)

The required vram for GTAV and RotTR at 4k is around 4- 6gb (RotTR will take as much as possible) however the 970 has 4gb (3.5gb meh) which makes the think the system was loading the excess textures into storage. Its not been an issue since I got the 1080

Ryzen Ram Guide

7 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Yep.  The game itself is only 25GB.  Textures shouldn't take up 19GB, especially when you've already got 4GB of VRAM.  I've got 16GB and it's still only using ~2GB.

The required vram for GTAV and RotTR at 4k is around 4- 6gb (RotTR will take as much as possible) however the 970 has 4gb (3.5gb meh) which makes the think the system was loading the excess textures into storage. Its not been an issue since I got the 1080

looks like i'll need to pick up GTA V for testing next time its on sale on steam then.

but i seriously dont believe that 4K will have such an impact that it'll nuke 16 gigs of system memory ;)

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

looks like i'll need to pick up GTA V for testing next time its on sale on steam then.

but i seriously dont believe that 4K will have such an impact that it'll nuke 16 gigs of system memory ;)

Honestly have no idea how to translate that page you gave me into how good my fps will be in a game. Im relatively new to the pc world so id appreciate it if you could try to work with me here especially since i have a pretty limited budget at around 500$.

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yep.  The game itself is only 25GB.  Textures shouldn't take up 19GB, especially when you've already got 4GB of VRAM.  I've got 16GB and it's still only using ~2GB.

25gb compressed, in game textures are uncompressed and used. Remember what I just said, 970 has technically 3.5gb vram,2x 970s still only have a total 3.5bg vram. Now imagine you have a bucket which = 3.5gb vram or water in this case and our system memory is the overspill tray beneath the bucket (after all we don't want water all over the living room xD) Now whats going to happen when we start trying to pour 5 or 6gb of "water" into the bucket? It's going to overspill into our tray slowly, filling up and filling up until eventually the overspill tray is full. At this point we're gonna say "hey stop filling that bucket, we can't hold anymore" and switch off the tap (app)

Ryzen Ram Guide

25gb compressed, in game textures are uncompressed and used. Remember what I just said, 970 has technically 3.5gb vram,2x 970s still only have a total 3.5bg vram. Now imagine you have a bucket which = 3.5gb vram or water in this case and our system memory is the overspill tray beneath the bucket (after all we don't want water all over the living room xD) Now whats going to happen when we start trying to pour 5 or 6gb of "water" into the bucket? It's going to overspill into our tray slowly, filling up and filling up until eventually the overspill tray is full. At this point we're gonna say "hey stop filling that bucket, we can't hold anymore" and switch off the tap (app)

I understand that, but the textures can only be compressed so much before they take too long to decompress.  Only a small portion of textures are used at one time.

Please take a screenshot of Rise of the Tomb Raider taking 19GB of RAM.  I'd very much like to see it.  I might even print it and frame it on my wall. xD

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I understand that, but the textures can only be compressed so much before they take too long to decompress.  Only a small portion of textures are used at one time.

Please take a screenshot of Rise of the Tomb Raider taking 19GB of RAM.  I'd very much like to see it.  I might even print it and frame it on my wall. xD

Give me 2x 970's and I will ....

Ryzen Ram Guide

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0556-B 39.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($8.49 @ SuperBiiz)  <<Waste of money
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz)  <<Will not support the features of the K-Series CPU, no overclocking
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg)  <<The motherboard does not support RAM faster than 2133MHz, and with two sticks you have no way to add more RAM without discarding this set
Power Supply: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply  ($27.99 @ SuperBiiz)  <<Low quality PSU
Total: $373.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-16 12:50 EST-0500

@Cantaloupeman

While faster RAM does increase performance, higher quality RAM usually only matters if the user is trying to reach a maximum RAM frequency and tightest timings.  For the general user, the RAM must simply work.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($201.89 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($49.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $369.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-16 12:56 EST-0500

36 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Oh shit, look what I found (here's your picture @JoostinOnline)

03Ksven.jpg?1

Ryzen Ram Guide

33 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Oh shit, look what I found (here's your picture @JoostinOnline)

03Ksven.jpg?1

That's system-wide usage, not single process usage.

Ok well I had RotTR running on windows 10 with usual background apps, drivers, audio codec, usual stuff. You asked for the picture, I want it framing!

Ryzen Ram Guide

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

03Ksven.jpg?1

was only GTAV and RotTR and only 4k using 2x 970's

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Also http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2958259/rise-tomb-raider-high-vram.html

Ryzen Ram Guide