I did a test on every single USB cable I own - here are the results

Pancake

Here is an image of the spreadsheet, and here is the spreadsheet and here is a mirror

LC43LxB.png

If there is enough interest, I could put together some charts and graphs to show the information a little better

Some notes:

• The "Dual" cables are these weird things. They make me question the intelligence of the people who make them. If they gave you a half-decent quality cable they could skip the extra connection. They are included with cheap USB to SATA enclosures

MINI-USB-5PIN-Y-cable-Data-to-USB-2-0-2-

xiCo1Gk.jpg

k9MlsnH.jpg

lSd8QCm.jpg

YIJLkaW.jpg

• The iPad had an OEM Apple Lightning cable attached, so the actual measurements at the iPad would have been lower than recorded. This means an Apple iPad Mini 3 would probably still accept charge at as low as 4.3v
  • the iPad was powered on, with the screen on. At 50% charge
  • All length measurements are my own

Some observations:

• Good quality cables are a MUST if you are charging a modern device, and in my opinion required if you are using a power bank
  • Length plays a role, but not nearly as much as quality 
  • Monoprice are fantastic bang for buck
  • Anker is fantastic Bang for buck
  • Belkin is disappointing 
  • Be very careful of buying ANY cables from eBay
  • I still don't really understand how an iPad chooses its charge speed as the results are dramatically different to the 2A load tests
  • The iPad can get the charger to actually pull more current at times than the load tester at the same ampage, probably because it can sense the voltage and ampage, and communicate with the Anker charger to fine tune the output voltage?
  • I now have a bag labelled "Shit" where I store all the bad, but still functional cable. I threw out that really bad Mini USB one. Here is what the connectors look like, if you want to identify yours. I had 2 of them for some reason, but can't remember what product they came with

FQy9Cjo.jpg

4g1KC0r.jpg

Some tests that were not recorded:

• A guy at work had a dollar store "Apple style" fake USB charger. This could not even deliver 500ma without the voltage dropping below 3.5v - Don't buy
  • A guy at work had Micro USB cables from the dollar store, these performed VERY bad and were worse than any of the Micro USB cables in my test
  • All name-brand chargers exceed their output ratings
  • A 2017 Ford Escape will do 5.2v at 3a out of the built in USB Ports
  • A Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 Tiny will do 5v 2.4a out of the yellow "Charging" port
  • a Mid 2014 MBP will charge an iPad at 5.1v 2.1a out of either port, even on battery

10 minutes ago, Pancake said:

Here is an image of the spreadsheet, and here is the spreadsheet and here is a mirror

If there is enough interest, I could put together some charts and graphs to show the information a little better

Some notes:

• The "Dual" cables are these weird things. They make me question the intelligence of the people who make them. If they gave you a half-decent quality cable they could skip the extra connection. They are included with cheap USB to SATA enclosures
  • If it says MAXED OUT it means that I reached 3A and could not go further
  • All load tests were performed using a YZXstudio 1270 meter, a XINY Load Tester Board and RIJER USB adapters. The iPad tests did not include the XINY load tester. Here is how it looks
  • All tests were powered from the bottom port of an Anker PowerPort 6 USB charger (60w total output) which claims 2.4a per port, but will easily handle 3a
  • If they were USB Extentions, or Micro USB then I did NOT use any adapters. If they were Mini USB I used an adapter, and if they were USB A to A I used an adapter. Please be aware of this when trying to compare 2 types of cables against each other. I imagine the adapters did cause extra power loss, if only minimal
  • The iPad had an OEM Apple Lightning cable attached, so the actual measurements at the iPad would have been lower than recorded. This means an Apple iPad Mini 3 would probably still accept charge at as low as 4.3v
  • the iPad was powered on, with the screen on. At 50% charge
  • All length measurements are my own

Some observations:

• Good quality cables are a MUST if you are charging a modern device, and in my opinion required if you are using a power bank
  • Length plays a role, but not nearly as much as quality 
  • Monoprice are fantastic bang for buck
  • Anker is fantastic Bang for buck
  • Belkin is disappointing 
  • Be very careful of buying ANY cables from eBay
  • I still don't really understand how an iPad chooses its charge speed as the results are dramatically different to the 2A load tests
  • The iPad can get the charger to actually pull more current at times than the load tester at the same ampage, probably because it can sense the voltage and ampage, and communicate with the Anker charger to fine tune the output voltage?
  • I now have a bag labelled "Shit" where I store all the bad, but still functional cable. I threw out that really bad Mini USB one. Here is what the connectors look like, if you want to identify yours. I had 2 of them for some reason, but can't remember what product they came with

Some tests that were not recorded:

• A guy at work had a dollar store "Apple style" fake USB charger. This could not even deliver 500ma without the voltage dropping below 3.5v - Don't buy
  • A guy at work had Micro USB cables from the dollar store, these performed VERY bad and were worse than any of the Micro USB cables in my test
  • All name-brand chargers exceed their output ratings
  • A 2017 Ford Escape will do 5.2v at 3a out of the built in USB Ports
  • A Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 Tiny will do 5v 2.4a out of the yellow "Charging" port
  • a Mid 2014 MBP will charge an iPad at 5.1v 2.1a out of either port, even on battery

There is no image...

I have more dedocated WAM than you on my Minecraft server!

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

i5 4460 w/ Raijintek Aidos cooler

XFX TS 650W PSU

Cheap OEM Acer motherboard w/ Cheap dollar tree Micro-ATX case

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

1TB Seagate Barracuda HHD

BTW I live in the UK so if I don't know where you live I will quote all prices in £

Check now, they are links instead of images. I am going to edit the post to make them display instead of links

12 minutes ago, Pancake said:

Some observations:

You have way too much time on your hands...

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

And I thought that belkin made good cables....

For the ignorant consumer with dozens of cables lying around like myself, I don't think that this will change my habits. Every cable I own (including the Belkin) charges my devices just fine. 

Will have to look at this in more detail when I have time, but interesting work.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible