HDMI v1.4 config question

Neil36

Hi,

I have the following spec'd Home Theater system...

Mobo: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe

Chip: Intel 3770K

With a Bluray Rom

Running Windows 7 Ult.

I use XMBC for general movie watching.

And I have access to PowerDVD and ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater.

I am currently out putting HDMI via the onboard HDMI port on the mobo.

I want to be able to play full Bluray 3D which requires HDMI v1.4.

The problem I have is that the HDMI runs through my Pioneer Home Theater amplifier which

does not support HDMI v1.4. I've tried playing a full 3D Bluray and it will not work.

My question is. If I was to purchase a graphics card with two HDMI outs.

Would I be able to run one HDMI straight to my Plasma TV and the other HDMI to the Pioneer amp for full DTS-Master/Dolby Tru audio ?

As I understand, DTS-Master & Dolby Tru needs more bandwidth so using SPDIF is not really an option.

Would I be able to specify in software what HDMI port outputs video and which outputs audio and would they be selectable in this manner?

Would I be able to run one HDMI straight to my Plasma TV and the other HDMI to the Pioneer amp for full DTS-Master/Dolby Tru audio ?

As I understand, DTS-Master & Dolby Tru needs more bandwidth so using SPDIF is not really an option.

Would I be able to specify in software what HDMI port outputs video and which outputs audio and would they be selectable in this manner?

I'm unsure of whether or not the PC will think the audio connection will also be a video connection, but maybe you can disable the display somehow without disabling the audio. Other than that, you shouldn't have a problem - just make sure you set the correct HDMI port as the default audio out. 

DTS/Dolby should easily pass through the video card from your Bluray, but don't expect the video card to convert regular stereo sources into surround (your receiver might have an option for this, however).

Thanks for your reply ShearMe. appreciated! ....

Does anyone have a more definite answer please?

I don't want to buy a card for this not to work :|

Is there any way you can buy the card and return it if it doesn't work?

In theory it should be fine because if you used DVI/HDMI to the TV and HDMI to the recevier, the card would output both audio and video through the different connectors, so I think using dual HDMI is the same, but I am also unsure. However, using 2 HDMI's, the one going to the tv would send audio along with the video so you would just have to turn the volume off on your TV and let the receiver do audio but again, I'm not positive it would work.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Hi,

I have the following spec'd Home Theater system...

Mobo: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe

Chip: Intel 3770K

With a Bluray Rom

Running Windows 7 Ult.

I use XMBC for general movie watching.

And I have access to PowerDVD and ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater.

I am currently out putting HDMI via the onboard HDMI port on the mobo.

I want to be able to play full Bluray 3D which requires HDMI v1.4.

The problem I have is that the HDMI runs through my Pioneer Home Theater amplifier which

does not support HDMI v1.4. I've tried playing a full 3D Bluray and it will not work.

If you really want good quality sound from your Pioneer amp. I would suggest you to add an Asus sound card with Coaxial output. Buy a good quality coaxial cable to link.

Hello Neil36 !

In theory you could run if you double the output, but you shouldn't get audio to the TV, because the TV is not compatible with any 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed audio. The PC have to detect only the receptor as an output.

I don't see the coaxial output as a solution because it only allows you to stream up to Dolby Digital 5.1.

When you are streaming in 3D with receiver you get audio at least? If so then the graphics card might work.

The solution may be buy a 7.1 sound card and connect it to the receiver via RCA.

Sorry for my baad english... ;)

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to run HDMI to the TV for video, then buy a soundcard and run audio out to your amp? 

Keep in mind that 3d(blurays) need 1.4a.. Not just 1.4 - the GPU and the cable both require 1.4a.

I have only a 5.1 DTS amp and I use DVI to my TV and spdif(optical fibre) cable for audio. Sure its not full dts-hd or truehd.. But since I use the LAV codecs it takes the core 5.1 from either standard and it sounds great.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log