Brand new Lenovo exceptionally slow

Lk4583

Hey guys, my father recently purchased a Lenovo E470 for me. I've been testing the out the Laptop and notice %90 of the time the hard drive was being maxed out, because of this slowing down the machine a lot. (We're talking 4minute startups). I've done some basic diagnostics, such as seeing what programs are affecting it most and disabled them till everything is almost idle, I disabled startups program, but still the disk is capped out %50 of the time. 

P.S I have the 1tb Hard drive verison, for some reason my father got that one over the 256 ssd option

Thanks

Probably a 5400RPM drive and single channel RAM doing a number on you. Check your HDD and if it's 5400RPM, you may need to manually switch it out.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

It might be a good idea to manually remove all bloatware that came on the laptop, it can definitely slow down any new laptop. Remove any software that isn't going to be used, and definitely remove any antivirus that comes with the laptop and install your own. Also, it's a bummer he got the HDD over the SSD, it would have effected boot times and general snappiness pretty dramatically, even a cheaper SSD is loads better than a 5400 RPM HDD (likely what the speed is on his HDD). You could probably convince him to buy a cheaper SSD. 

The HDD's they use in normal consumer laptop tend to be slow 5400RPM deals which just suck ass. Best advice I can give you is remove all the bloatware (including antivirus if you don't have a subscription to it because the built-in option Windows 10 offers is lightweight and perfect if you use common sense). And after you've done that, download CCleaner and disable as many of the startup options that aren't fairly important (important ones being Chrome's updater, the igfx Intel stuff, Realtek stuff, etc).

Doing this on my Grandma's Pavilion P7-1234 (which has a 1TB 3.5" drive, mind you) brought boot times from a retarded minute and a half down to just half a minute (on Windows 7).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I think there is a possibility that this computer has 30-day trial thing also what anti virus do you recommend, the computer came with 2 year free McAfee

1 minute ago, Lk4583 said:

I think there is a possibility that this computer has 30-day trial thing also what anti virus do you recommend, the computer came with 2 year free McAfee

Definitely remove that bloaty garbage! 

I personally use a combination of AVG Free (sue me) and common sense! 

1 minute ago, R176 said:

Definitely remove that bloaty garbage! 

I personally use a combination of AVG Free (sue me) and common sense! 

K thanks atm I'm constantly restarting because of Lenovo bloatware stuff

1 minute ago, Lk4583 said:

K thanks atm I'm constantly restarting because of Lenovo bloatware stuff

Hahah that'll happen. 

One more thing guys when I first log into my computer there are local host services with high Cpu and disk usage what can I do about them?

Thanks

25 minutes ago, Lk4583 said:

One more thing guys when I first log into my computer there are local host services with high Cpu and disk usage what can I do about them?

Do a fresh install. Get a USB and make a bootable USB for Windows. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

My only recommendation is to install an aftermarket SSD. Cleaning the software can help, but the difference between an SSD and an HDD is just too great.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.