HDMI 2.0 help/info needed

rasesh

Hello there I am going to be purchasing the following monitor:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/philips-philips-43-4k-uhd-60hz-5ms-gtg-ips-led-monitor-bdm4350uc-black-silver-bdm4350uc/10424421.aspx?path=4038837e347e67872eb004c5abb41738en02

I won't be using it to play games. Just using it for word doc's/excel doc's reading/typing & watching movies/shows/video's.

Now, after some research I found out that I need a HDMI 2.0 to drive this monitor in 4k @ 60hz.

I initially wasn't going to buy a graphics card because I never do as i dont play games & usually just plug in the HDMI cable into my motherboard.

So 2 questions:

1) Can I just plug this monitor into my motherboard to get 4k @ 60hz? How do I tell if the motherboard input/output has/is HDMI 2.0?

This is the motherboard ill be getting (looked around all I see is it says "has hdmi"):

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-Z270I-Gaming/specifications/

2) If the motherboard is not HDMI 2.0 what is the LOWEST/CHEAPEST gpu I can grab that support's HDMI 2.0?

I tried to find this information on gpu websites but it doesn't say "supports HDMI 2.0", they just say they have hdmi output or whatever .... so how does a consumer know the product supports and/or is giving HDMI 2.0?

So basically need to know if that monitor will run at 4k @ 60Hz with that motherboard itself & if not then what is the cheapest NVIDIA option I have for hdmi 2.0 & how did you find this information/where did u find it?

Thanks!

From the motherboard's spec page:

- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz

If the monitor has a Display Port input, use Display Port and you'll be fine. The Display Port on that motherboard can do 4k @ 60Hz.

EDIT- @rasesh the monitor comes with a Display Port cable, just use that instead of HDMI.

I used to be quite active here.

2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

If the monitor has a Display Port input, use Display Port and you'll be fine. The Display Port on that motherboard can do 4k @ 60Hz.

"Input Types

1 x VGA; 2 x Display Port; 2 x HDMI 2.0 MHL"

So yeah he's good.

7 minutes ago, rasesh said:

So basically need to know if that monitor will run at 4k @ 60Hz with that motherboard itself & if not then what is the cheapest NVIDIA option I have for hdmi 2.0 & how did you find this information/where did u find it?

Thanks!

Yes. Use DisplayPort rather than HDMI and you're fine.

Anything Pascal (Nvidia 10xx series) supports HDMI 2.0b and anything Polaris (AMD 4xx) supports HDMI 2.0b as well.

5 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

8 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

"Input Types

So yeah he's good.

Anything Pascal (Nvidia 10xx series) supports HDMI 2.0b and anything Polaris (AMD 4xx) supports HDMI 2.0b as well.

I am not that technical so just making sure:

Since you guys recommended to just use "display port" instead of the hdmi .... to get 4k @ 60Hz.

Is there a special TYPE of display port I will need just like how the HDMI needed to be "2.0" ..?

If it doesn't hurt can you go to bestbuy.ca {canada's bestbuy} & link me to the cable I need?

Does that monitor come with that SPECIAL display port needed to drive it at 4k @ 60Hz?

Sorry for not being that great at all this stuff.

Also, do you guys recommend buying warranty from bestbuy for that monitor?

2yrs? 4yrs? it's like $120 or $200 extra for it.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, rasesh said:

Since you guys recommended to just use "display port" instead of the hdmi .... to get 4k @ 60Hz.

Is there a special TYPE of display port I will need just like how the HDMI needed to be "2.0" ..?

If it doesn't hurt can you go to bestbuy.ca {canada's bestbuy} & link me to the cable I need?

Does that monitor come with that SPECIAL display port needed to drive it at 4k @ 60Hz?

Thanks!

No, you don't need a special cable for the monitor. The monitor comes with a DisplayPort cable, you don't need to buy one. Also, DisplayPort is a separate connector from HDMI, VGA, Ect.. the name sounds confusing, but DP is its own thing.

The monitor and motherboard I/O shield should have the connector clearly labeled either "DisplayPort," "DP," or the DisplayPort logo. And your motherboard has the correct version of DP to run the monitor.

The page says that the monitor comes with a 4 year warranty from the manufacturer (Philips.) So I wouldn't spend more money on getting a different one :)

3 minutes ago, rasesh said:

Thanks!

You need DisplayPort 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4 (doesn't matter which) and comes with the cable you need.

As far as insurance that's something up to you, some people suggest it some people suggest away from it. It's like the lottery, just with higher chance of a much lower reward. If you need to use it, it pays for itself but on average a user won't get their money out of it (Bestbuy exists to make money). And remember, it's not an extended warranty, it's a service plan ;) *wink wink*.

2 minutes ago, rasesh said:

Snip

The "display port" is literally a connection called "DisplayPort", and is good for computers to connect to monitors, as it has a higher bandwidth.

The cable comes with the monitor, so don't worry about buying one.

And yes, the monitor has the port on it.

Finally, DO NOT GET A BEST BUY WARRANTY. If the monitor has trouble, contact the manufacturer. I looked at their website, it says you can buy an extended warranty from them, if you really feel like it. I can guarantee that the warranty from Philips will be astronomically cheaper. The monitor already has a free year warranty, and by then you should see any defects (if they appear).

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

The page says that the monitor comes with a 4 year warranty from the manufacturer (Philips.) So I wouldn't spend more money on getting a different one :)

That's strange. I went to their website and their warranty page says otherwise. I wonder which is the case?

3 minutes ago, EthanCGamer said:

The "display port" is literally a connection called "DisplayPort", and is good for computers to connect to monitors, as it has a higher bandwidth.

The cable comes with the monitor, so don't worry about buying one.

And yes, the monitor has the port on it.

Finally, DO NOT GET A BEST BUY WARRANTY. If the monitor has trouble, contact the manufacturer. I looked at their website, it says you can buy an extended warranty from them, if you really feel like it. I can guarantee that the warranty from Philips will be astronomically cheaper. The monitor already has a free year warranty, and by then you should see any defects (if they appear).

Best buy's service plans do cover some stuff outside what Philips covers, with an option for accidental coverage. It's not something I'd recommend most people to get, but it's definitely not a "stay away at all costs in bold letters" thing either.

5 minutes ago, EthanCGamer said:

That's strange. I went to their website and their warranty page says otherwise. I wonder which is the case?

I think it's the year warranty.

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Best buy's service plans do cover some stuff outside what Philips covers, with an option for accidental coverage. It's not something I'd recommend most people to get, but it's definitely not a "stay away at all costs in bold letters" thing either.

True, but 200 dollars extra is a ton for such a 'maybe'. My best friend worked at a Best Buy and they were trained to upsell a warranty to everyone, so when people say they bought a warranty from Best Buy I automatically think "waste of money", because the manufacturer is just fine for most people.

I would buy the warranty if I had small kids though, in case of accidental damage. Phillips won't replace a monitor with a hot wheels jammed into the HDMI port, but Best Buy will. 

5 minutes ago, EthanCGamer said:

True, but 200 dollars extra is a ton for such a 'maybe'. My best friend worked at a Best Buy and they were trained to upsell a warranty to everyone, so when people say they bought a warranty from Best Buy I automatically think "waste of money", because the manufacturer is just fine for most people.

I would buy the warranty if I had small kids though, in case of accidental damage. Phillips won't replace a monitor with a hot wheels jammed into the HDMI port, but Best Buy will. 

...That's why you don't buy the warranty for the listed price... The same as a car dealership you wait until the last deal they offer and then say yes, as infuriating as that whole system of haggling is.

14 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

...That's why you don't buy the warranty for the listed price... The same as a car dealership you wait until the last deal they offer and then say yes, as infuriating as that whole system of haggling is.

I've heard from a couple friends that if you buy the monitor from the store ... you can talk to the associates there to give you a better deal somehow.

Like they'll give you the 4yr warranty for $100 instead of $200 or they'll give you a 5% discount on the monitor saying it was open box and stuff.

You guys ever heard or experienced this?

If so, what did you guys basically say to them to get these deals off of them?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Kobathor said:

EDIT- @rasesh the monitor comes with a Display Port cable, just use that instead of HDMI.

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

"Input Types

So yeah he's good.

2 hours ago, EthanCGamer said:

Did some research just for the hell of it & if i really did want to use hdmi 2.0 i found that the lowest graphics card that has it is the gtx 960 & over.

is this true?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, rasesh said:

Did some research just for the hell of it & if i really did want to use hdmi 2.0 i found that the lowest graphics card that has it is the gtx 960 & over.

is this true?

Thanks!

Probably. Only (nVidia) Maxwell cards (960+) and Radeon Polaris cards (RX 460 I think) have HDMI 2.0+. But, again, DP is better than HDMI.

3 hours ago, Kobathor said:

Probably. Only (nVidia) Maxwell cards (960+) and Radeon Polaris cards (RX 460 I think) have HDMI 2.0+. But, again, DP is better than HDMI.

Thanks!