Really stupid question but...

SeeFights
Go to solution Solved by weberdarren97,

A) You'd likely destroy it, along with any other components directly connected to it.

B) Not much really... There's not much power there.

C) Bad idea. Even while off, the PSU still contains enough power to deliver a lethal shock if tampered with,

Basically what i want to know is;

A) What would happen if you stick, say a screw driver into the computers PSU while its on?

B) Touch, say an open fan header on the MOBO while the computer is on?

C) Stick a screw driver into a PSU when its off then turn the PC on? 

2 minutes ago, SeeFights said:

A) What would happen if you stick, say a screw driver into the computers PSU while its on?

C) Stick a screw driver into a PSU when its off then turn the PC on? 

Do it and then tell me if you diedededed.

1 minute ago, Fourmi_Killer said:

Do it and then tell me if you diedededed.

haha okay i should probably know better cause my dads an eltronic but my curiosity got the better of me

1 + 3 = sparks, probably a dead power supply and other components, and if you're holding it, probably a nasty burn.
2 i'm not sure, i've accidentally caught my fingers on fan headers before while the pc has been running and nothings shorted or shocked me.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, CodenameScorpion said:

A) Sparks or electrocution

B) Electrocuted.

C) More sparks or electrocution

TL;DR

Don't touch anything when the pc is on or about to be on.

my curiosity got the better of me, i havent done it just wanted to ask

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

1 + 3 = sparks, probably a dead power supply and other components, and if you're holding it, probably a nasty burn.
2 i'm not sure, i've accidentally caught my fingers on fan headers before while the pc has been running and nothings shorted or shocked me.

My PSU has blown up before but that was becasue of a stupid mistake

2 minutes ago, SeeFights said:

My PSU has blown up before but that was becasue of a stupid mistake

And you didn't diededed? :o

Just now, Fourmi_Killer said:

And you didn't diededed? :o

haha no i didnt do it, i was just curios and wanted to ask someone

A) You'd likely destroy it, along with any other components directly connected to it.

B) Not much really... There's not much power there.

C) Bad idea. Even while off, the PSU still contains enough power to deliver a lethal shock if tampered with,

1 minute ago, SeeFights said:

haha no i didnt do it, i was just curios and wanted to ask someone

What was the mistake? You said it blown up?

Just now, Fourmi_Killer said:

What was the mistake? You said it blown up?

okay so when i first told my parents i wanted to build a PC my uncle had this un named, un logoed PSU. There was nothing about this PSU on the PSU and er basically when building my PC i didnt place my RAM in the slots properly and turned on my PC and it didnt post and i totaly forgot to turn the PC off when removing the RAM

You likely didn't damage much, if anything, but a small short could have led to you getting shocked.

1 minute ago, weberdarren97 said:

Always unplug the PC (or at least turn off the PSU) before working inside.

i have learnt this now, tbh looking back at that moment it makes me laugh

You likely didn't damage much, if anything, but a small short could have led to you getting shocked.

yeah when the PSU blew up nothing was damaged, just the PSU i got really lucky

Do the RAM sticks and memory controller still appear to work? I wouldn't be surprised if they've become damaged after your little incident.

Do the RAM sticks and memory controller still appear to work? I wouldn't be surprised if they've become damaged after your little incident.

i onistly dont know, it still says i have 8 gb of ram @ 1866 memory

Just now, weberdarren97 said:

If what you installed was 8GB worth of DDR3 1866MHz, it's working.

yeah i only have 8 gigs of ram @ 1866

Then it's working. Congrats on not breaking it.

With my luck, the motherboard would have been bricked. xD

Just now, weberdarren97 said:

Then it's working. Congrats on not breaking it.

With my luck, the motherboard would have been bricked. xD

nah for the worst part of like 4 days i was prating to god 

21 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Yeah, fingers on fan headers won't do anything. That's the reason touching the two power switch front panel connectors won't turn the system on. I've been careless before and touched random headers and pins on a motherboard and nothing's happened. Although, that one time I stuck a screwdriver into the front panel header of a Dell OptiPlex motherboard (It was already half dead) there was some magic smoke.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Yeah, fingers on fan headers won't do anything. That's the reason touching the two power switch front panel connectors won't turn the system on. I've been careless before and touched random headers and pins on a motherboard and nothing's happened. Although, that one time I stuck a screwdriver into the front panel header of a Dell OptiPlex motherboard (It was already half dead) there was some magic smoke.

Magic smoke is the best (and most expensive) kinda smoke.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Magic smoke is the best (and most expensive) kinda smoke.

Very true. I caught a nice router on fire, but that's the only thing I've done.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2