Freesync on Nvidia GPUs?

Pittman90

So is there a reason that Freesync does not work on Nvidia GPUs or is it something that AMD is locking down? because it seems like ti would be in AMD's favor to allow Nvidia graphics cards, since nobody would ever buy a gysync display since they are so much more expensive. 

6 minutes ago, Pittman90 said:

since nobody would ever buy a gysync display since they are so much more expensive. 

That's also not necessarily true. I've seen plenty of people who have used both say GSYNC is noticeably better.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

8 minutes ago, Pittman90 said:

So is there a reason that Freesync does not work on Nvidia GPUs or is it something that AMD is locking down? because it seems like ti would be in AMD's favor to allow Nvidia graphics cards, since nobody would ever buy a gysync display since they are so much more expensive. 

Nvidia is the one locking down stuff. They refuse to use Freesync even thought the GPUs are technically capable of doing it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

I'm sure that has an affect, but I doubt that's always the reason. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's also not necessarily true. I've seen plenty of people who have used both say GSYNC is noticeably better.

Difficult to judge reliably when you can't use the same hardware...

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

5 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Difficult to judge reliably when you can't use the same hardware...

Difficult to judge for a multitude of reasons. However for one reason or another people who have owned and used both have said gsync is superior. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Difficult to judge for a multitude of reasons. However for one reason or another people who have owned and used both have said gsync is superior. 

Well, I've only tried Gsync (on an MSI laptop), so I can't really compare.

For the record, at least on that laptop, the latency due to Gsync was absolutely awful.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

3 hours ago, Pittman90 said:

[ ... snip ... ]

Any member of VESA can implement the technology free of licensing royalties, Since nVidia is a part of VESA nothing is keeping nVidia from using Adaptive Sync (the VESA standard) other than nVidia.

They can even brand their implementation as they wish, maybe G-Sync Lite, while PR pushes the standard version as for 'the discriminating users.'

3 hours ago, Majestic said:

You realize thats a mirror you're standing in front of?

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

Well, I've only tried Gsync (on an MSI laptop), so I can't really compare.

For the record, at least on that laptop, the latency due to Gsync was absolutely awful.

Never had an issue with latency,  and Im hyper sensitive to it. Can't stand to use my Xbox One because of that. 

Maybe it was the laptop?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

17 minutes ago, App4that said:

Maybe it was the laptop?

It could have been eDP GSYNC and not with an actual GSYNC chip.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It could have been eDP GSYNC and not with an actual GSYNC chip.

Yeah, never understood GSYNC on a laptop. Thats a money grab.

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yeah, never understood GSYNC on a laptop. Thats a money grab.

It originally wasn't a promoted feature. It was discovered accidentally to exist on some Asus laptop because part of GSYNC is implemented by the eDP spec and then there was a way to enable it and then laptops started coming with GSYNC. I never followed up on the new releases, but I'm assuming some implementations use the actual GSYNC chip while others just piggy back off the eDP spec.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Pittman90 said:

It is Nvidia who is locking down stuff by going with their own Gsync module and charge manufacturer $200-300 dollars for and that cost is passed down to customers, resulting in Gsync monitors are much more expensive than FreeSync monitors

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

3 hours ago, App4that said:

You realize thats a mirror you're standing in front of?

Can you please explain to me why you are suddenly making this about me?

If someone pays 100-200 surplus in licensing and proprietary hardware, he is more likely to believe a perceived improvement. 

It's called insufficient justification.

2 hours ago, Majestic said:

Can you please explain to me why you are suddenly making this about me?

If someone pays 100-200 surplus in licensing and proprietary hardware, he is more likely to believe a perceived improvement. 

It's called insufficient justification.

Well, it's technically about everyone. I used both before spending the money on a GSYNC monitor. I research the living shit out of anything over 100 buck I buy. GSYNC works at any fps, Freesync only works above 30 to 45 fps. Not a huge deal but it's a difference. And GSYNC looks a touch smoother than Freesync. Is that the difference in graphics card? Totally possible. But the habit of anything positive said about Nvidia having to have an alternative explanation, and anything AMD does being babies first poop. 

Gets old. 

9 minutes ago, CoolJ S.A.S. said:

This is when it's good to understand how business works and that PCs aren't magically immune because we like PCs. (Not pointed at you, you just brought up a good point).

At any given point in any given day I'm called a fanboy of something, and that means at the end of the day I'm a fanboy of them all xD

GSYNC is overpriced. I knew that when I bought it, I in no way thought I was getting 200 dollars in extra performance or in the quality of the experience. I made the purchase because at the time as currently Nvidia had the strongest single GPU card. If AMD sold it I probably would be sporting a Freesync monitor. None of that removes the slight advantage GSYNC has. Oh how I miss the days of gray areas :(

9 hours ago, App4that said:

Well, it's technically about everyone. I used both before spending the money on a GSYNC monitor. I research the living shit out of anything over 100 buck I buy. GSYNC works at any fps, Freesync only works above 30 to 45 fps. Not a huge deal but it's a difference. And GSYNC looks a touch smoother than Freesync. Is that the difference in graphics card? Totally possible. But the habit of anything positive said about Nvidia having to have an alternative explanation, and anything AMD does being babies first poop. 

Gets old. 

Yet when pcper analysed it back when they were released there was no measurable difference between the two technologies in their operating ranges. Not even when looking at it with a scope (PCper youtube video). You give me this attitude because you subjectively 'feel' it's better? Topkek.

Freesync has long since been able to work below and above it's operating range. No doubt the framepacing of the gsync module with it's memory and algorithms will do this better, but the input response at 30fps or below is terrible anyway. So how is this a benefit.

19 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

It originally wasn't a promoted feature. It was discovered accidentally to exist on some Asus laptop because part of GSYNC is implemented by the eDP spec and then there was a way to enable it and then laptops started coming with GSYNC. I never followed up on the new releases, but I'm assuming some implementations use the actual GSYNC chip while others just piggy back off the eDP spec.

It was originally designed to be promoted, it was only discovered before the official release due to a leaked in-house driver ASUS was supposed to used for internal testing. It wasn't a random discovery of something that wasn't supposed to be there in the first place.

7 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It was originally designed to be promoted, it was only discovered before the official release due to a leaked in-house driver ASUS was supposed to used for internal testing. It wasn't a random discovery of something that wasn't supposed to be there in the first place.

Except didn't those drivers work on an/some already released laptop/s?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Except didn't those drivers work on an/some already released laptop/s?

Yes, because mobile G-Sync is basically just FreeSync, the driver added the necessary software support for it. The same could be done on the desktop at any time NVIDIA chooses. I was just pointing out Mobile G-Sync was already in development to be a promoted feature, it was just discovered prematurely by accident. It didn't really follow on the heels of the accident.

5 hours ago, Majestic said:

Yet when pcper analysed it back when they were released there was no measurable difference between the two technologies in their operating ranges. Not even when looking at it with a scope (PCper youtube video). You give me this attitude because you subjectively 'feel' it's better? Topkek.

Freesync has long since been able to work below and above it's operating range. No doubt the framepacing of the gsync module with it's memory and algorithms will do this better, but the input response at 30fps or below is terrible anyway. So how is this a benefit.

So a you cite YouTube but take a position of superiority? That's cute.

If you're happy saving 200 bucks on a FreeSync monitor,  awesome. Why we have choices. To say that someone enjoying their choice is all in their head, is a dick move. I openly said the difference could be the card, but no. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

So a you cite YouTube but take a position of superiority? That's cute.

If you're happy saving 200 bucks on a FreeSync monitor,  awesome. Why we have choices. To say that someone enjoying their choice is all in their head, is a dick move. I openly said the difference could be the card, but no. 

So you strawman what I said, that's cute.

I'm saying when you prioritize subjective, n=1, experiences over technical explanations or emperical evidence, and be a dick about it when someone doesn't take your word for it, you're being in err.

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

So you strawman what I said, that's cute.

I'm saying when you prioritize subjective, n=1, experiences over technical explanations or emperical evidence, and be a dick about it when someone doesn't take your word for it, you're being in err.

So cite. Show that FreeSync works outside the stated range. Not from a kid on YouTube or AMD.

Oh, and Bull Shit. I wanted the HTC Vive to be awesome,  and it sucked.