A10 APU vs. i7 Haswell

Go to solution Solved by Stonep11,

An FX6300 and 7950 would provide much better performance for gaming than the APU or single 3770k, for the price of the 3770k.

If you really want to keep costs at a minimum, go for the APU and get some 1866MHz or higher RAM.

Basically this, ^

Fastest RAM you should get is 2133Mhz, any higher isn't worth the price difference.  Go for 6-8GB RAM in Dual channel and make sure you have a 64bit OS.  That would be the best bet for what you plan on doing.  The APU is worse than the i7 3770k because of the architecture, hard to describe why exactly, but it is just better then the APU in everything but gaming.  The APU will however, multitask very well with the multi-threads, perform well in games with some faster RAM, and do good enough with lighter video editing (I assume you are working with your game footage considering the OP, and it will do that fine).  Don't forget to add and SSD to your build, that will be the biggest difference in overall speed you could get.

Which is better for gaming without discrete graphics? Games to be played with (winner) are WoW, TF2, Surgeon Simulator, SFM (machinima maker), Vegas Pro 12 (video editor), Dota2, Hearth Stone.

Keep in mind, I want to use all these applications on highest setting, and AA on. 

Also, which one would be best for transcoding fastest for home servers?

Thanks for any help guys!!!!

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

i7. Why did you even ask this? Always remember GHZ are not equal to performance.

Quote me to get a reply!

i_smell_a_troll_Family_guy-s360x360-2914

the i7 blows it outta the waterr for rendering. 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Don't expect to play anything with high res on onboard, but for gaming I'd say the AMD chip will pull away a bit. The i7 will take off for everything else though.

If you want to game you really need a discrete card, simple as that. i7 is simply the fastest, so the best outcome would be discrete graphics (nothing less than GTX760 or R9 270x w/ i7.

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

For the price of the i7, you could get a FX 6300 and a 7950. Why don't you want a discrete GPU?

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

A10 is better for gaming, but considering DOTA2 is the most demanding you are playing.  It might be better to go for the i7 as it will perform MUCH better in video editing and will leave you room to add a discrete card if you would like to.

A10 is better for gaming, but considering DOTA2 is the most demanding you are playing.  It might be better to go for the i7 as it will perform MUCH better in video editing and will leave you room to add a discrete card if you would like to.

I was only thinking of playin dota 2. I might not actually.

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

Wait for Kaveri

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

This is a stupid comparison, but go the APU if your not planning on a discrete GPU.  

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

If you are not gonna game, don't get a CPU mainly for gaming, go for the i7

I am gonna game... just not gaming on dota 2. only wow and tf2...

If you are not gonna game, don't get a CPU mainly for gaming, go for the i7

This is a stupid comparison, but go the APU if your not planning on a discrete GPU.  

Wait for Kaveri

For the price of the i7, you could get a FX 6300 and a 7950. Why don't you want a discrete GPU?

Don't expect to play anything with high res on onboard, but for gaming I'd say the AMD chip will pull away a bit. The i7 will take off for everything else though.

If you want to game you really need a discrete card, simple as that. i7 is simply the fastest, so the best outcome would be discrete graphics (nothing less than GTX760 or R9 270x w/ i7.

i_smell_a_troll_Family_guy-s360x360-2914

the i7 blows it outta the waterr for rendering. 

Heres what I don't understand... What makes the specs on a10 6800k worse than the specs on i7 3770k in pure performance overall????

AMD A10 6800k: http://www.microcenter.com/product/414754/A10_6800K_Black_Edition_41GHz_Quad-Core_Socket_FM2_Boxed_Processor

Intel i7 3770k: http://www.microcenter.com/product/388575/Core_i7_3770K_35GHz_Socket_LGA_1155_Boxed_Processor

i7. Why did you even ask this? Always remember GHZ are not equal to performance.

um is this a serious thread? an APU has no hope in hell of keeping up with an i7 in absolutely any task at all on the CPU side of things.

An A10 APU is comparable to an i3, maybe even struggling to keep up there too

why is this a thing?

i7

oh wait without discrete, ok, NVM, APU, but the issue comes at hand where you need a sizeable amount of and fast ram

Heres what I don't understand... What makes the specs on a10 6800k worse than the specs on i7 3770k in pure performance overall????

AMD A10 6800k: http://www.microcenter.com/product/414754/A10_6800K_Black_Edition_41GHz_Quad-Core_Socket_FM2_Boxed_Processor

Intel i7 3770k: http://www.microcenter.com/product/388575/Core_i7_3770K_35GHz_Socket_LGA_1155_Boxed_Processor

The 3770k is 4 cores hyperthreaded, so each core acts like two cores(not as powerful as actual cores though). The 6800k is only 4 cores.

There's also the architecture. The 3770k has a more efficient architecture and so it is better in that sense as well. The APU may have a faster clock speed but its architecture is not as efficient as the 3770k's.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

The 3770k is 4 cores hyperthreaded, so each core acts like two cores(not as powerful as actual cores though). The 6800k is only 4 cores.

There's also the architecture. The 3770k has a more efficient architecture and so it is better in that sense as well. The APU may have a faster clock speed but its architecture is not as efficient as the 3770k's.

So then, when it comes to performance (NOT graphics performance). How much of an edge does 3770k have over a10 6800k?

So then, when it comes to performance (NOT graphics performance). How much of an edge does 3770k have over a10 6800k?

Depends on what you're doing. Gaming, not much of an edge. Video editing, a fair bit more.

Depends on what you're doing. Gaming, not much of an edge. Video editing, a fair bit more.

how about speed in everything? and amount of apps opened before slow-down?

how about speed in everything? and amount of apps opened before slow-down?

Multitasking depends more on RAM most of the time. You'll never really experience a major slow down from opening a lot of applications unless you only have 2GB of RAM or you're purposefully pushing your computer to the limit.

For your use case, I'd get an FX8320 or FX6300 depending on your budget. 

Let me tell you the only use for this apu in the build... Internet, youtube, gaming (wow and tf2 only, while playing on max graphics offered by game), music, video, and lan parties. I need it to be low cost and not have a discrete gpu if possible. That's why im looking at this apu. So if you can give me major performance reasons on why I shouldnt get this apu tell me. If not, tell me theres not a major difference in performance. I just dont have money for graphics card, cpu and other things in build, atm.

Which is better for gaming without discrete graphics? Games to be played with (winner) are WoW, TF2, Surgeon Simulator, SFM (machinima maker), Vegas Pro 12 (video editor), Dota2, Hearth Stone.

Keep in mind, I want to use all these applications on highest setting, and AA on. 

Also, which one would be best for transcoding fastest for home servers?

Thanks for any help guys!!!!

First thing, Make sure you get fast ram, 1866 to 2400mhz is recommended to give your CPU Graphics a boost.  If your looking at doing more multitasking than gaming, and only gaming little games the core i7 will work without any problem.  However if your going to play some later games and overclock get the a10.  Also get a decent amount of high speed RAM (at least 8GB)

Let me tell you the only use for this apu in the build... Internet, youtube, gaming (wow and tf2 only, while playing on max graphics offered by game), music, video, and lan parties. I need it to be low cost and not have a discrete gpu if possible. That's why im looking at this apu. So if you can give me major performance reasons on why I shouldnt get this apu tell me. If not, tell me theres not a major difference in performance. I just dont have money for graphics card, cpu and other things in build, atm.

An FX6300 and 7950 would provide much better performance for gaming than the APU or single 3770k, for the price of the 3770k.

If you really want to keep costs at a minimum, go for the APU and get some 1866MHz or higher RAM.

Buy a the A10-6800K then

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Basically this, ^

Fastest RAM you should get is 2133Mhz, any higher isn't worth the price difference.  Go for 6-8GB RAM in Dual channel and make sure you have a 64bit OS.  That would be the best bet for what you plan on doing.  The APU is worse than the i7 3770k because of the architecture, hard to describe why exactly, but it is just better then the APU in everything but gaming.  The APU will however, multitask very well with the multi-threads, perform well in games with some faster RAM, and do good enough with lighter video editing (I assume you are working with your game footage considering the OP, and it will do that fine).  Don't forget to add and SSD to your build, that will be the biggest difference in overall speed you could get.