GPU Driver Failure

Ryujin2003
Go to solution Solved by Streetguru,
1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Try older drivers potentially

Hi everyone.

I've been having recent crashes, not BSOD, but just application freeze, hang, then crash. Event Viewer shows amdkmdap. This happens mostly when playing Rainbow Six Siege. Normally ~2 to ~3 times per day. My most recent crash said something to the effect of "wattman reset". I have done some research,and am wondering what could be the issue? I have the most updated GPU drivers. I've eliminated my OC's. I've not run MSI Afterburner. Still get these issues. Cannot stop it. Do you think it might be possible that its a PSU issue? If it's not supplying adequate power, or it fluctuates, could that cause me to have issues? No BSOD, and all I get from Event Viewer is: Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Edit: Only having this issue for approximately x4 days.

Temps on all things appear to be fine.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Components:

CPU: AMD FX 6350 Black Edition @ 4.5Ghz  / 1.42v

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2

GPU: MSI R9 380 4GB Gaming @ 1130MHz core clock / 1500MHz Memory

MB: MSI 970 Gaming

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866

PSU: OCZ 700w MXSP
Wifi: ASUS Wi-Fi Express AC1300

Boot Disk: RAID 0 PNY CS1311 240GB (x2 120)

Game Disk: OCZ Vertex 460A 240GB

Mass Storage Disk: Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB ST1500DL003

your psu could be the issue if you can get another psu do it. download all the newest drivers for your system.  

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Why do you have a RAID 0 array? you're asking for trouble lol, that's probably not it though

Did you already try resetting your card to stock settings and clean installing your drivers?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

your psu could be the issue if you can get another psu do it. download all the newest drivers for your system.  

I've got all of the drivers updated. MB, GPU, and everything else in between.

My GPU is approximately 5 years old. I can purchase a new one and see if this resolves the issues. I got rid of my old 450 watt, and don't have anything comparable to what I have.

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Why do you have a RAID 0 array? you're asking for trouble lol, that's probably not it though

Did you already try resetting your card to stock settings and clean installing your drivers?

I have RAID 0 just because I wanted to try it. I'm a PC repair tech, so I figured getting some experience with the configurations of my clients would be a good thing to have.

I have reset both CPU and GPU overclocks to default. It doesn't appear to resolve the issue. I've tried Rainbow Six Siege, The Division, and Middle Earth, I get the same results.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Going on PSU issues, is it normal for my fan LED's to slightly dim when the fan speed increases? I didn't think this should happen, I figure it'd be losing voltage elsewhere. Could this also be a sign of PSU issues?

I can try to revert. I didn't have issues before upgraded to ReLive, but I don't know if that's just a coincidence.

4 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Going on PSU issues, is it normal for my fan LED's to slightly dim when the fan speed increases? I didn't think this should happen, I figure it'd be losing voltage elsewhere. Could this also be a sign of PSU issues?

Did you already try running a looping benchmark or furmark to keep your GPU at 100% load?

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I can try to revert. I didn't have issues before upgraded to ReLive, but I don't know if that's just a coincidence.

I had problems with new drivers too, after i disable the "chill" and wattman, everything went back to normal..

RX480 here.

With chill on CSGO fps - 70max, off - 250-400fps..

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

1 minute ago, nicobombai said:

I had problems with new drivers too, after i disable the "chill" and wattman, everything went back to normal..

RX480 here.

With chill on CSGO fps - 70max, off - 250-400fps..

Whats Chill and wattman, and how did you disable?

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Did you already try running a looping benchmark or furmark to keep your GPU at 100% load?

No, but I'll give it a shot. I've got Kombustor. I don't know if there is a loop option on Unigine.

Whats Chill and wattman, and how did you disable?

That is in the global settings in the gaming tab in your AMD driver. Have a look.

Its the latest AMD feature which "helps" perform better with lower temps, although i'm not sure it applies to all the models.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

4 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

That is in the global settings in the gaming tab in your AMD driver. Have a look.

Its the latest AMD feature which "helps" perform better with lower temps, although i'm not sure it applies to all the models.

Chill is mostly to save on power usage, it drops fps to save power when there's no input happening from the user

Spoiler

Chill is mostly to save on power usage, it drops fps to save power when there's no input happening from the user

Hmmm.. Well during my gameting in csgo, it dropped my fps heavily, when i disabled it, everything went normal...

7 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I'm going to assume driver issue? I had Chill and Wattman off. About 10 minutes into stress test, and AMD drivers crash again. Is there a way to measure PSU fluctuations?

Is there a way to measure PSU fluctuations?

If you had one of these maybe

if it's crashing into a stress test it's likely the PSU, maybe the motherboard as it supplies some power as well potentially, older drivers might be your best bet though if that doesn't work blame the PSU

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

if it's crashing into a stress test it's likely the PSU, maybe the motherboard as it supplies some power as well potentially, older drivers might be your best bet though if that doesn't work blame the PSU

Ok, well. I don't plan on obtaining one of these amazing pieces of technology yet, so I will look at reverting my drivers. If I still have issues, I will try a PSU. Thank you very much for the help and guidance! I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

Ok, well. I don't plan on obtaining one of these amazing pieces of technology yet, so I will look at reverting my drivers. If I still have issues, I will try a PSU. Thank you very much for the help and guidance! I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

the Seasonic S12II 520W is probably the one to get right now, it's around $50 far as price:performance goes

You can also try undervolting your GPU as well, but if it's crashing with stock settings...eh

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fZyFf7/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=185

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Blame me for not paying attention earlier, but which of the following PSU's would be recommended. All are Corsair:

HXi 750

AX 760

RMi 850

CX 850

I'll get discount on these products....

23 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Blame me for not paying attention earlier, but which of the following PSU's would be recommended. All are Corsair:

HXi 750

AX 760

RMi 850

CX 850

600-650W should be more than enough for you, it would also be sufficient for sli/crossfire is you want to. You don't need more than that :P

I would go for RMi or a seasonic G/X series if available..

And do please check this thread out:

Get atleast a tier 3 or above if possible. :D

44 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

HXi 750

AX 760

RMi 850

CX 850

well are they cheaper than the S12II models from seasonic?

RMi probably

Spoiler

23 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Rolled back to Crimson, and have had no issues all day. AMD and Ubisoft might have to work out their kinks with ReLive.