I need more usb ports on my machine. Not sure what the better approach is.

Hulkbert
Go to solution Solved by RedWulf,

A hub won't add bandwidth, just split up the single USBs across more ports. That said, a powered hub will work fine for charging, any device that can't use all the available bandwidth. An expansion card will technically add bandwidth. 

I would, and did, get a hub since its charging and since most devices/users are reading and writing enough at a time to be bottlenecked by the usb ports limits.

Just hop to amazon and find a powered hub with decent reviews since there are dozens.

I'm not sure which approach, whether adding an expansion card (I have a pcie x4 [power x16] slot) or an external usb hub, is more effective with providing the most amount of bandwidth, although the majority of things I have plugged in are charging cables and peripherals. I need more usb 3.0 ports and I also need to be able to charge my devices at 2 amps. If anyone can suggest a product that can do that, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

A hub won't add bandwidth, just split up the single USBs across more ports. That said, a powered hub will work fine for charging, any device that can't use all the available bandwidth. An expansion card will technically add bandwidth. 

I would, and did, get a hub since its charging and since most devices/users are reading and writing enough at a time to be bottlenecked by the usb ports limits.

Just hop to amazon and find a powered hub with decent reviews since there are dozens.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

8 minutes ago, luegnicl said:

I would recommend to buy an enermax mighty charger. That's a 5,25" add in solution with a lots of usb and card readers an a 2 amp phone charger

Looks cool, although I must say, the reviews on amazon don't look too promising. And, I don't have a usb 3.0 header available.

Just now, Hulkbert said:

Looks cool, although I must say, the reviews on amazon don't look too promising. And, I don't have a usb 3.0 header available.

Hmmmm...Wait. I searched for some add in cards