Need help fixing a bum ram stick!

Go to solution Solved by littlepigboy5,
3 minutes ago, KarateHottie93 said:

The suspect is an 8 gig stick of HyperX Fury DDR3 1333. The crime committed is a goddamned "Memory Management Error" blue screen!

Normally I wouldn't care. It's just a cheap ass stick of poor people ram. It's all I got left over for this thrown together build though.

I know it's bad because I have four other sticks of the same garbage ram from other builds that I threw in just to test. I have confirmed it's not a mobo slot either.

What do I do? Should I try cleaning first? Has that actually ever helped anyone? Should I bake it? I mean it's already worthless so it can't break much more. Need advice please!

i know i'll get shit for this, but try baking it.  My LG G4 broke so i disassembled it completely, put the board into an oven for 10 minutes, and it worked.  If it's worthless, the oven thing is worth a shot.  If you don't wanna harm your oven, what i did is wrap it in 3 layers of tin foil and throw it on the bbq/grill.

The suspect is an 8 gig stick of HyperX Fury DDR3 1333. The crime committed is a goddamned "Memory Management Error" blue screen!

Normally I wouldn't care. It's just a cheap ass stick of poor people ram. It's all I got left over for this thrown together build though.

I know it's bad because I have four other sticks of the same garbage ram from other builds that I threw in just to test. I have confirmed it's not a mobo slot either.

What do I do? Should I try cleaning first? Has that actually ever helped anyone? Should I bake it? I mean it's already worthless so it can't break much more. Need advice please!

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Also if I bake do I gotta pry off the heat spreader? That's too much trouble if so.

i know i'll get shit for this, but try baking it.  My LG G4 broke so i disassembled it completely, put the board into an oven for 10 minutes, and it worked.  If it's worthless, the oven thing is worth a shot.  If you don't wanna harm your oven, what i did is wrap it in 3 layers of tin foil and throw it on the bbq/grill.

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

1 minute ago, KarateHottie93 said:

Also if I bake do I gotta pry off the heat spreader? That's too much trouble if so.

if the heatspreadder is made of any plastic at all, then yes.  Otherwise, u good.

2 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

if the heatspreadder is made of any plastic at all, then yes.  Otherwise, u good.

Eh my over is worth about as much as the ram stick. Should I remove the sticker on the heat spreader? I mean it's not gonna hurt anything but afraid I'll be left with an ugly burnt sticker.

1 minute ago, KarateHottie93 said:

Eh my over is worth about as much as the ram stick. Should I remove the sticker on the heat spreader? I mean it's not gonna hurt anything but afraid I'll be left with an ugly burnt sticker.

it will hurt stuff lol, itll burn and chemicals and ewwww.  Remove it, lol.  It's not a difficult process just to remove the whole heatspreader, 4-8 screws and ur good.

if u don't mind, hit me up with a "mark as correct" :)

3 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

it will hurt stuff lol, itll burn and chemicals and ewwww.  Remove it, lol.  It's not a difficult process just to remove the whole heatspreader, 4-8 screws and ur good.

Agreed. I would totally remove the heatspreader or else you oven will smell like an elmer's glue explosion :P

but seriously, baking it might actually work. I would go to a thrift store and buy a small oven though. Makes it a lot easier when you have a good amount of stuff to fix.

1 minute ago, littlepigboy5 said:

Haha the sticker is on the heat spreader...not the stick. The chemicals thing makes sense though. Guess I'll remove it.

There may likely be on under the spreader too but fuck lol. If that's the case...idk. Just kinda a lot to fuck with.

I guess worth it though if it works.

4 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Ram has lifetime warranties, why would you not just RMA for a replacement set?

If it was my DDR4 or one of my higher end DDR3 sticks I would. Kinda hard to bother with HyperX Fury though since I can usually get a new one on sale for a little more than shipping this back.

2 minutes ago, KarateHottie93 said:

If it would my DDR4 or one of my higher end DDR3 sticks I would. Kinda hard to bother with HyperX Fury though since I can usually get a new one on sale for a little more than shipping this back.

When I had to RMA an old kit, I got a prepaid label and just sent back. This was Mushkin, I'm pretty sure Kingston is big enough to do the same courtesy. It beats unnecessarily destroying a kit even further beyond warranty.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

When I had to RMA an old kit, I got a prepaid label and just sent back. This was Mushkin, I'm pretty sure Kingston is big enough to do the same courtesy. It beats unnecessarily destroying a kit even further beyond warranty.

Hmmm good point. All I have is the stick as I bought months ago and just never used though. Doubt I could get them to do it since I have no receipt or even a box left