Deleted file recovery

Dalynx

Long story short i accidentally deleted a really long youtube recording and i was wondering if i could get it back, it was too big for the recycling bin :/, any help appreciated 

9 minutes ago, Dalynx said:

Long story short i accidentally deleted a really long youtube recording and i was wondering if i could get it back, it was too big for the recycling bin :/, any help appreciated 

If it was on an SSD, it's probably irrecoverable.

If it was on an HDD, DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THAT PARTITION as your first step.

Then try any number of tools on it, I'd suggest Recuva as it seems rather well regarded.

Sig under construction.

6 minutes ago, Tedster said:

If it was on an SSD, it's probably irrecoverable.

If it was on an HDD, DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THAT PARTITION as your first step.

Then try any number of tools on it, I'd suggest Recuva as it seems rather well regarded.

I think it was on my SSD :( it was just in the videos section if that makes sense 

2 minutes ago, Dalynx said:

I think it was on my SSD :( it was just in the videos section if that makes sense 

Yes that makes sense, but that isn't at all helpful ):

Hm maybe I'm wrong about SSDs, maybe it's just that if it's been overwritten at all then the data is completely gone. Again, completely avoid writing to the drive, and try this http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/other-recovery-software/SSD-drive-recovery.htm

Sig under construction.

1 minute ago, Tedster said:

Hm maybe I'm wrong about SSDs, maybe it's just that if it's been overwritten at all then the data is completely gone. Again, completely avoid writing to the drive, and try this http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/other-recovery-software/SSD-drive-recovery.htm

i have their normal hard drive recovery too haha

2 minutes ago, Tedster said:

i have their normal hard drive recovery too haha

9 minutes ago, Tedster said:

it's not lookin good :(

1 minute ago, Dalynx said:

it's not lookin good :(

Because you probably wrote to the drive!

Sig under construction.

Because you probably wrote to the drive!

whats that even mean

Just now, Dalynx said:

whats that even mean

When a file is 'deleted', the space it's in is allocated as usable, so it will probably get at least partially overwritten as soon as you save a file there or your computer updates a logfile or something like that.

With an HDD, it can take multiple rewrites to make a file truly irrecoverable (which is why something like DBAN offers to do up to 37 full rewrites I think), but with an SSD the overwriting of data in the cells is much more permanent.

Sig under construction.

When a file is 'deleted', the space it's in is allocated as usable, so it will probably get at least partially overwritten as soon as you save a file there or your computer updates a logfile or something like that.

With an HDD, it can take multiple rewrites to make a file truly irrecoverable (which is why something like DBAN offers to do up to 37 full rewrites I think), but with an SSD the overwriting of data in the cells is much more permanent.

i haven't saved anything to it since the delete, i put the recovery software on my usb

1 minute ago, Dalynx said:

i haven't saved anything to it since the delete, i put the recovery software on my usb

However your computer probably still wrote logfiles to it as it was probably your boot drive.

Sig under construction.

However your computer probably still wrote logfiles to it as it was probably your boot drive.

yea it's my boot drive, i have the software currently doing a deep scan so hopefully it finds it