Suggestions for speakers under $300 USD

TheKDub
Go to solution Solved by SSL,
20 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Easy fix for the larger speakers, I'll just get a larger desk! :P

I see, the Q5 is 45W into 4 ohms. Regardless, it should be more than capable of 20+W into 8 ohms. It has a beefy power supply (16V 5.3A).

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

I wonder if the SMSL Q5 Pro would be powerful enough to drive the Fluance SX6-BK, seeing how their impedance is 8 ohms, and they have a power handling of 30-100 watts, whereas the SMSL Q5 Pro can only do 2x20 watts @ 8 ohms.

I'm guessing I'd need to go with a more powerful amp.

They should be OK with the q5, when I first got them I used em with a crappy lepai 2020 amp, while they weren't as nice as with my new receiver, I felt they were still plenty loud enough and sounded good.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

4 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

I wonder if the SMSL Q5 Pro would be powerful enough to drive the Fluance SX6-BK, seeing how their impedance is 8 ohms, and they have a power handling of 30-100 watts, whereas the SMSL Q5 Pro can only do 2x20 watts @ 8 ohms.

I'm guessing I'd need to go with a more powerful amp.

If Lays and Gofspar have used it with a 2x20@ lepai so I would expect it to be fine. The Q5 does 2x45W. Also, 8ohm speakers require less power than 4ohm or less speakers (assuming similar sensitivity).

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

If Lays and Gofspar have used it with a 2x20@ lepai so I would expect it to be fine. The Q5 does 2x45W. Also, 8ohm speakers require less power than 4ohm or less speakers.

ive never owned lepai turd amp

I had a SMSL SA-160.

then bought a $400 Class A Onkyo amp.

The new Lepai 2020+ Ti came out and is faking god-tier for $20.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

1 minute ago, Gofspar said:

The new Lepai 2020+ Ti came out and is faking god-tier for $20.

Meaning it actually does 20W?

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Meaning it actually does 20W?

like 15w below 1% THD, its alot better than the old Lepai that used the Tripath amplifier chip.

Darren had a "Lepy" which is even worse that uses a crappy yamaha chipset that will do like 5w below 1% THD.

left is Tripath, right is Texas instruments.comparision_chart.jpg

2 minutes ago, Gofspar said:

like 15w below 1% THD, its alot better than the old Lepai that used the Tripath amplifier chip.

Darren had a "Lepy" which is even worse that uses a crappy yamaha chipset that will do like 5w below 1% THD.

left is Tripath, right is Texas instruments.

Sounds like an option, then. Might benefit from a better spec'd power supply, assuming it doesn't overheat. That chip is rated for moar performance.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Sounds like an option, then. Might benefit from a better spec'd power supply, assuming it doesn't overheat. That chip is rated for moar performance.

its come with some 3A 12V thing, its plenty.

Just now, Gofspar said:

its come with some 3A 12V thing, its plenty.

No. More power.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

No. More power.

its already upgraded from what came with the old 2020A+ the old one had a 12v 2a

Just now, Gofspar said:

its already upgraded from what came with the old 2020A+ the old one had a 12v 2a

More power is always good.

1 minute ago, Gofspar said:

Up to a point. A power supply than can actually output more than 40W would be a start.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

20 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

I see, the Q5 is 45W into 4 ohms. Regardless, it should be more than capable of 20+W into 8 ohms. It has a beefy power supply (16V 5.3A).

Just now, SSL said:

Alright, let's hope it all works out when I finally get around to ordering them.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

16 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Alright, let's hope it all works out when I finally get around to ordering them.

honestly dude, get a Dayton APA150 with the Fluance SX6's.

If you even go to JBL Studio 530's or Monitor Audio Bronze 2's you're set on a Class A amp.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa150-150w-power-amplifier--300-812

6 minutes ago, Gofspar said:

honestly dude, get a Dayton APA150 with the Fluance SX6's.

If you even go to JBL Studio 530's or Monitor Audio Bronze 2's you're set on a Class A amp.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa150-150w-power-amplifier--300-812

There are a few problems with that though, it's pretty large, so I'd have to put it under my desk, where it'd likely become a footrest (Just like the subwoofer for my current speakers and my PC), and then it also is pretty limited on inputs, and no subwoofer output. (Missed it, the line output is the subwoofer out)

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

There are a few problems with that though, it's pretty large, so I'd have to put it under my desk, where it'd likely become a footrest (Just like the subwoofer for my current speakers and my PC), and then it also is pretty limited on inputs, and no subwoofer output.

sub out is pointless on the Q5 anyway, theres no crossover controls.

what you would do is go $50 schiit sys > subwoofer (lowpass set to 80hz.) > speaker amp.

Even the SA-160 I had (SMSL flagship class D speaker amp) was medicore compared to any Class A/B speaker amp ive owned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFG3FYA/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00HFG3FYA&linkCode=as2&tag=themasswi0f-20&linkId=32AWDTNM6AN53RUZ

That looks like a pretty small and decent option, certainly something I could put on my desk under a monitor and be able to adjust it on the fly without issue.

I really don't need to go balls to the walls with the audio setup, I just need something that will sound good, look good, and just overall be an improvement over the current Dell speakers that I have now.

On 1/7/2017 at 0:56 AM, TheKDub said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFG3FYA/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00HFG3FYA&linkCode=as2&tag=themasswi0f-20&linkId=32AWDTNM6AN53RUZ

That looks like a pretty small and decent option, certainly something I could put on my desk under a monitor and be able to adjust it on the fly without issue.

I really don't need to go balls to the walls with the audio setup, I just need something that will sound good, look good, and just overall be an improvement over the current Dell speakers that I have now.

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SA-98E-silver-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B00NBGECXG

buy this if you're gonna go class D.

Also a new power cable, because for some reason SMSL thought it was a good idea to include a non grounded plug on a power supply that has a earth ground pin.

https://www.amazon.com/kenable-Power-Cord-Mains-Cable/dp/B0095ZM3KG

On 1/7/2017 at 5:23 AM, TheKDub said:

Another guy a couple days ago after speakers for around 300 I recommended him these speakers.

11 hours ago, Gofspar said:

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SA-98E-silver-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B00NBGECXG

buy this if you're gonna go class D.

Also a new power cable, because for some reason SMSL thought it was a good idea to include a non grounded plug on a power supply that has a earth ground pin.

https://www.amazon.com/kenable-Power-Cord-Mains-Cable/dp/B0095ZM3KG

That'd do 2x80W at 8 ohms, pretty close to the 100W limit of the SX6-BK, though it's very unlikely that I'd ever crank them up that high.

Adds a little to the overall cost, but I guess it's worth it.

So now I'm sitting on the SMSL SA-98E Amp, a pair of Fluance SX6-BK speakers, and then some 16AWG OFC Wire, and a handful of banana plugs.

Anything else that I should throw into the mix? The input for the amp will be coming directly from the output of my pc as is. Perhaps a matching DAC would be a good idea for the future.

40 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

That'd do 2x80W at 8 ohms, pretty close to the 100W limit of the SX6-BK, though it's very unlikely that I'd ever crank them up that high.

Adds a little to the overall cost, but I guess it's worth it.

So now I'm sitting on the SMSL SA-98E Amp, a pair of Fluance SX6-BK speakers, and then some 16AWG OFC Wire, and a handful of banana plugs.

Anything else that I should throw into the mix? The input for the amp will be coming directly from the output of my pc as is. Perhaps a matching DAC would be a good idea for the future.

get a DragonFly Black as a dac, uses a Sabre ESS 9010 with proprietary filters, also can function as a headphone amp which is neat.

53 minutes ago, Gofspar said:

get a DragonFly Black as a dac, uses a Sabre ESS 9010 with proprietary filters, also can function as a headphone amp which is neat.

Sabre is a "meme".

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Sabre is a "meme".

bad b8