Bluetooth Headphone Issue

Having quite a frustrating day after spending hours trying to get my new Bose QC35 headphones to pair with my desktop. I have an Asus USB-BT400 dongle and the headphones. Headphones pair fine with my iphone but windows 7 x64 is proving more difficult than iOS10.

1. I plugged the dongle in known good USB port, drivers installed successfully. Restarted PC

2. Brought up Bluetooth menu, add device, select Bose QC35...device added successfully

3. Bose headphone keeps stating "Ready to Pair" and "Select the Bose headphones from your mobile devices Bluetooth list"

Am I missing a step between adding a device to windows and the actual pairing?

4. I can right click on the headphones and select "control" which brings up the first picture, however when I select "connect", the popup message appears saying they're not powered on.

5. One time the headphone control panel did say connected and I thought I almost had it but The headphones are still saying "disconnected" and I cannot connect them or set them to the default device in the Sound panel

I have tried disabling both the adapter and enumerator in device manager

I have unplugged dongle, uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled drivers multiple times.

I have removed the headphones from my device list in control panel multiple times.

Has anyone had a similar problem with Bluetooth headsets/headphones before? I will call Bose tomorrow and get their opinion and possibly go to Best Buy to try another USB BT dongle. The issue obviously isn't the headphones so I'm aiming towards the dongle or a setting in Windows 7. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance 

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

• 10 months later...

i have the exact same problem, with the same dongle. Did you find a solution? 

I'm very frustrated right now, please let me know. :D

• 3 weeks later...

could you use wired connection?? i think it is better and more convenient. 

when using iphone and laptop then go wireless.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I feel your pain.

I experienced the same issues with multiple bluetooth headphone devices with Windows 7 before finally calling it quits.

Windows 10 handles Bluetooth better (not much), but much closer to the pair-and-play that Android and iOS offer.

Things that have given me some success:

1. Ensuring that all drivers and codecs were as up to date as possible.

2. Disabling unused audio devices (for example, HDMI to my monitor speakers that I will never use).

3. Making the headset "default" for playback AND mic input.  If it wasn't connected, Windows should revert back to whatever devices are available (speakers, headphone jack, ect), but by making it default, you force Windows to use the bluetooth device if connected.

Still, I ran into all sorts of weird audio issues, ect.  So finally I just decided to use wired until I got a dedicated headset for my home PC that pairs via USB.

Windows and Bluetooth still have a long way to go, but 10 makes it far easier to switch between multiple audio devices and pair via bluetooth.

Personally, I will that high-end headsets include both bluetooth and 2.4 ghz options, and easier management for multiple devices, similar to how logitech's MX master series can be paired with 3 different deices.

Good luck either way.