Best Bang for Buck Build

Need help deciding what to put into my first Gaming rig. I'm willing to spend as little as $400 to a maximum of $1400 (United States) and can go above the set maximum if it means extra performance boost or better resolution or FPS in games. I will mainly be using it to play a variety games (New and Old) and would like to be able to play games at medium to high/very high settings. Along with that I would be using it for some Solidworks projects, Blender projects, Photoshop, and Unity or Unreal Engine. I plan on only using one monitor which I would need to buy (suggestions needed) and possibly upgrading unless I get a large monitor. I will need to purchase peripherals such as a mouse and keyboard and will also need to buy Windows of some kind. Currently I use a Laptop but would like to upgrade to something more powerful that is also reliable and that can last me longer while also not having a loss in performance. Thanks for the help.

Would you value a higher resolution (1440p) or would you rather have a more game oriented 144hz 1080p monitor? Would you be comfortable with overclocking? Any specific aesthetics or size requirements?

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

8 minutes ago, Grizwald200 said:

snip

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kGXTFd
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kGXTFd/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Motherboard: Asus H170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($112.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.97 @ Jet) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($93.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($389.67 @ Amazon) 
Case: Inwin 303 White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K65 Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($60.44 @ OutletPC) 
Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB FPS Wired Optical Mouse  ($39.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1400.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-05 14:52 EST-0500

This is at the top end of your budget.

6 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

Would you value a higher resolution (1440p) or would you rather have a more game oriented 144hz 1080p monitor? Would you be comfortable with overclocking? Any specific aesthetics or size requirements?

I would be comfortable with overclocking and would like a more game oriented monitor. No specific size requirements for aesthetics I would like it to be more on the matching side for colors and not to crazy.

3 minutes ago, Grizwald200 said:

Need help deciding what to put into my first Gaming rig. I'm willing to spend as little as $400 to a maximum of $1400 (United States) and can go above the set maximum if it means extra performance boost or better resolution or FPS in games. I will mainly be using it to play a variety games (New and Old) and would like to be able to play games at medium to high/very high settings. Along with that I would be using it for some Solidworks projects, Blender projects, Photoshop, and Unity or Unreal Engine. I plan on only using one monitor which I would need to buy (suggestions needed) and possibly upgrading unless I get a large monitor. I will need to purchase peripherals such as a mouse and keyboard and will also need to buy Windows of some kind. Currently I use a Laptop but would like to upgrade to something more powerful that is also reliable and that can last me longer while also not having a loss in performance. Thanks for the help.

When are you building it?

Anyways, get like 2 displays minimum for productivity, probably 2 1080p IPS displays, they're around $100

Otherwise if you only want one, here's a single 21:9 1080p ultra wide, you could get a 4k free-sync display for $300, but it's going to be TN

focus is more on the CPU than the GPU here

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GBPMXH
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GBPMXH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($92.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.97 @ Jet)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ Video Card  ($249.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: LG 25UM58-P 25.0" 2560x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($179.00 @ B&H)
Total: $1252.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-05 14:59 EST-0500

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

29 minutes ago, Grizwald200 said:

Since you're building a sort of gaming workstation hybrid, I would build this as the actual best bang for buck. I'll include a really nice monitor in there too - for better gaming and productivity, and adaptive sync.

The Xeon in here is equivalent to an i7-6700, but quite a bit cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($251.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150M-PLUS WS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($54.80 @ Amazon)
Memory: ADATA XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SK hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.60 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB GAMING X Video Card  ($217.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: LG 29UC88-B 29.0" 2560x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($349.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Total: $1177.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-05 15:19 EST-0500

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR