Choose an IPS Monitor

orels1
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

I know this, but thanks =)

Had a TN 27'' 1080p monitor for a while, switched to 3D 24'' 1080p when upgraded a system, but now want 27 inches back..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260148

or the 27" version (although, a bit on the expensive side)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260150

Those are one of the best choices for general-purpose IPS monitors at the moment.  As long as you get IPS you're fine; the difference between different variations of IPS is pretty mild.  Also don't worry about the response time, it is not a measurement of latency or "delay" before the picture changes, that would be input lag (in which these monitors are remarkably low latency).  The "5ms response time or less for gaming" thing is a myth.

Hi!

I was using a TN panels the whole life, but some time ago I was living in my friend's place and was working there, and he had an IPS monitor, and that was amazing!

Especially, when I was working (I'm a video editor, and a web designer).

Now I want to add an IPS to my current dual TN configuration (120Hz Acer GD245hq and an old, but very useful beacuse of fully configurable positioning - LG L1800P).

And I've ran into some problems here.

First of all - the matrix.

I've read a lot, and as I can see, my goal should be IPS or AH-IPS, and definitely not e-IPS (correct me, if I'm wrong, because I'm totally new to this)

So here is what I need: 27'' 1080p IPS/AH-IPS monitor for $300-400 ($500 - maximum)

And it will be also good to see 5ms latency, because I wanted to play games on it, but this is not ciritcal, beacause I have "gaming" TN panle right now, and I could still use it for games.

What I found:

AOC 27" I2757FM (never heard of this brand before, and as I can see - quality differs very much from model to model)

ASUS 27" VX279Q

Acer 27" H276HLbmjd

So, If you can help me to find any other options - that would be really awesome!

Or just give some advices and I'll search myself.

Anyway - any help would be great!

Thank you =)

P.S. Sorry for grammar, English is not my native language.

Get a 2.5k ips/pls monitor.

2.5k res? I don't think I can get one for $400

Or there are such models?

Can you recommend something in particular?

2.5k res? I don't think I can get one for $400

Or there are such models?

Can you recommend something in particular?

You can get Korean 1440p IPS monitors. I personally would spend $500 and go for the PB278Q, but that's just me.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

You can get Korean 1440p IPS monitors. I personally would spend $500 and go for the PB278Q, but that's just me.

Good monitor, as I see, but as I can see (for now) with dual/triple monitor configuration - I don't need 2.5k, so I want to buy some full HD monitor for $400... $500 is kind a hard for me =(

Good monitor, as I see, but as I can see (for now) with dual/triple monitor configuration - I don't need 2.5k, so I want to buy some full HD monitor for $400... $500 is kind a hard for me =(

By full hd do you mean 1080p? PB238Q is what I have and it's about $200.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

By full hd do you mean 1080p? PB238Q is what I have and it's about $200.

Nice one!

Maybe will take this monitor, but I'll still try to find a combination of 27'' 1080p

Nice one!

Maybe will take this monitor, but I'll still try to find a combination of 27'' 1080p

The problem with 27" is that it doesn't look as "clear" as a 23" monitor would at 1080p. Just a forewarning. 

The problem with 27" is that it doesn't look as "clear" as a 23" monitor would at 1080p. Just a forewarning. 

Had a TN 27'' 1080p monitor for a while, switched to 3D 24'' 1080p when upgraded a system, but now want 27 inches back..

Those are one of the best choices for general-purpose IPS monitors at the moment.  As long as you get IPS you're fine; the difference between different variations of IPS is pretty mild.  Also don't worry about the response time, it is not a measurement of latency or "delay" before the picture changes, that would be input lag (in which these monitors are remarkably low latency).  The "5ms response time or less for gaming" thing is a myth.

Thank you for advice, but I googled some info, and I see that you can't turn off OverDrive (at least in 27'' version), that's not good =(

Another thing is that there is a lot of comments about bad painting and not the best materials.

Also found a review with some video, this is not really good =( video link

Have you used one yourself?

Also, it uses the same matrix as LG 27EB22PY which costs significantly cheapear and seems to be not too far away in tests, does this DELL really worth $465? (That's the price in my local stores)

Thank you for advice, but I googled some info, and I see that you can't turn off OverDrive (at least in 27'' version), that's not good =(

Another thing is that there is a lot of comments about bad painting and not the best materials.

Also found a review with some video, this is not really good =( video link

Have you used one yourself?

Also, it uses the same matrix as LG 27EB22PY which costs significantly cheapear and seems to be not too far away in tests, does this DELL really worth $465? (That's the price in my local stores)

Not if the price is that much no.

Not if the price is that much no.

Ok. Sadly, Dell costs a lot more in here then others (ASUS, LG, Samsung, etc.)

Any other recomendations?

What do you think about AOC?

Where did you see the comments about "bad painting and not the best materials"? I'm planning on ordering the P2314H tomorrow, I haven't seen any comments about this, but I'm not saying they don't exist, just surprised I guess.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Where did you see the comments about "bad painting and not the best materials"? I'm planning on ordering the P2314H tomorrow, I haven't seen any comments about this, but I'm not saying they don't exist, just surprised I guess.

On a pretty good website - overclockers.ru there was a full review, and they shown that the thickness of the paint varies too much.

The review is in Russian, but you can check out the photos and graphs

Here is the link

Try a samsung 2560x1440 pls monitor.

Try a samsung 2560x1440 pls monitor.

It costs nearly $700 in my local stores.

I can afford only S27C590H but it doesn't seem to be too good =(