When to use G-Sync/V-Sync/Fast-Sync in gaming???

Hello everyone, 
after watching tons of youtube videos about v-sync, g-sync and fast-sync technologies, i would like to raise this simple question "when do you actually use each technology in gaming" in which scenarios?

I have gtx 1080 pared to an 1440p 165hz g-sync monitor from asus. Playing games like Rocket League or CSGO gives me 165+ fps, sometimes up to 250, the monitor is actually supporting maximum 165hz, g-sync is active from 30hz up to 144hz. Some games like Witcher 3 give me lower fps up to 90hz, in this case i think i go for g-sync right? Could someone explain what technology to use in each case, without locking fps. Can i also use Fast-Sync and G-Sync simultaneously?

(from the video below i understood that locking fps to your monitors max hz rate will give you some latency in gaming) am i getting it right?

Any answer or advice will be appreciated.

Without locking fps? Isn't that the point of a frame limiter such on gsync, free sync and vsync

you technically no longer need v-sync when you have g-sync. 

3 minutes ago, bboysania said:

Can i also use Fast-Sync and G-Sync simultaneously?

yes you can. 

4 minutes ago, bboysania said:

Some games like Witcher 3 give me lower fps up to 90hz, in this case i think i go for g-sync right?

yes g-sync will come into play here. 

5 minutes ago, bboysania said:

Could someone explain what technology to use in each case, without locking fps.

fast sync: frame rates higher than refresh rate of monitor

g-sync: frame rates lower than refresh rate of monitor, as long as frame rates are within g-sync functional range 

* so you can use both of those in-tandem 

v-sync: constant, consistent frame rates matching refresh rate of monitor (you can use additional settings like double or triple buffering to improve latency) 

3 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

yes you can. 

g-sync: frame rates lower than refresh rate of monitor, as long as frame rates are within g-sync functional range 

v-sync: constant, consistent frame rates matching refresh rate of monitor (you can use additional settings like double or triple buffering to improve latency) 

What about free sync for that last bit

I just got a freesync monitor but don't even  know when to enable it becase I don't know much about it tbh 

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

yes you can. 

thanks a lot, i guess i got it now. from now on fast-sync together with gsync turned on in nvidia settings. v-sync forever off.

14 minutes ago, bboysania said:

Hello everyone, 
after watching tons of youtube videos about v-sync, g-sync and fast-sync technologies, i would like to raise this simple question "when do you actually use each technology in gaming" in which scenarios?

I have gtx 1080 pared to an 1440p 165hz g-sync monitor from asus. Playing games like Rocket League or CSGO gives me 165+ fps, sometimes up to 250, the monitor is actually supporting maximum 165hz, g-sync is active from 30hz up to 144hz. Some games like Witcher 3 give me lower fps up to 90hz, in this case i think i go for g-sync right? Could someone explain what technology to use in each case, without locking fps. Can i also use Fast-Sync and G-Sync simultaneously?

(from the video below i understood that locking fps to your monitors max hz rate will give you some latency in gaming) am i getting it right?

Any answer or advice will be appreciated.

never use vsync. its shit. adds a ton of input lag.

g-sync or freesync is the best option.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

20 minutes ago, bboysania said:

Can i also use Fast-Sync and G-Sync simultaneously?

No. You either have a FreeSync monitor, a Gsync monitor, or a monitor that doesn't support either. If you have a monitor with one or the other, you should probably keep it on pretty much all the time. I don't see why you wouldn't, anyway.

In theory vsync can give you some input latency, yes. Personally, as someone who uses vsync pretty much all the time with a 60 Hz monitor, I can say I have never felt input lag related to vsync that was noticeable at all. If I turn vsync off, I usually get really disruptive tearing or stuttering, with the level of severity depending on the game. On my hardware, vsync is almost always an objective improvement.

If you're using a 165 Hz monitor with Gsync then there's probably never a time when vsync makes sense to use. If instead you had a pedestrian 60 Hz monitor like I do, I would recommend trying vsync on vs. off to see if your gameplay experience improves. If it results in noticeable input lag or other problems, then obviously don't use it.

4 minutes ago, Jamtoad said:

I just got a freesync monitor but don't even  know when to enable it becase I don't know much about it tbh 

unsure about freesync but it should automatically detect that freesync is available and is enabled automatically. go into Crimson and see if it's enabled. also ensure that freesync is enabled in monitor OSD 

then download the windmill demo here https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1011625/

6 minutes ago, bboysania said:

thanks a lot, i guess i got it now. from now on fast-sync together with gsync turned on in nvidia settings. v-sync forever off.

just make sure v-sync isn't turned on in your games. lots of games like to leave v-sync on, and some have it hard-locked but AFAIK it shouldn't override g-sync 

1 minute ago, typographie said:

No. You either have a FreeSync monitor, a Gsync monitor, or a monitor that doesn't support either. If you have a monitor with one or the other, you should probably keep it on pretty much all the time. I don't see why you wouldn't, anyway.

any Nvidia GPU past Maxwell can use fast sync. doesn't matter what panel you're using 

3 minutes ago, typographie said:

In theory vsync can give you some input latency, yes. Personally, as someone who uses vsync pretty much all the time with a 60 Hz monitor, I can say I have never felt input lag related to vsync that was noticeable at all.

If I turn vsync off, I usually get really disruptive tearing or stuttering, with the level of severity depending on the game.

depends on the game. some games use double or triple buffering along with v-sync 

5 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

depends on the game. some games use double or triple buffering along with v-sync 

The only game I can remember ever playing that had a serious issue with double-buffered vsync was Shadow of Mordor at launch. If you dropped even a single frame below 60, it would round down to 30. In that case, the workaround was to play in borderless windowed mode. I don't think I've ever had an issue like that anywhere else, and I think that particular issue got patched out.

1 hour ago, Jamtoad said:

FreeSync should always be on in your drivers. Turn on vsync in your game if you're getting framerates above your max refresh rate. You don't need to do this for competitive games like overwatch and CSGO, but in my experience with it, I didn't notice any latency issues with FreeSync and vsync on in overwatch.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Can anyone explain more about gsync? Because i have a GTX 1060 6GB and i've seen at the box written DX12/G-Sync.

41 minutes ago, Wan Ismat said:

Can anyone explain more about gsync? Because i have a GTX 1060 6GB and i've seen at the box written DX12/G-Sync.

It's a variable refersh rate technology that deals with the problem of screen tearing. You need to have a GSync monitor.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

It's a variable refersh rate technology that deals with the problem of screen tearing. You need to have a GSync monitor.

Does, Dell 24 Gaming Monitor - SE2417HG is a GSync monitor? Sorry if i'm asking too much questions as i'm still a newbie :(

4 minutes ago, Wan Ismat said:

Does, Dell 24 Gaming Monitor - SE2417HG is a GSync monitor? Sorry if i'm asking too much questions as i'm still a newbie :(

Nope. That's a regular monitor that should have never been released, lol. I just looked it up and it was released in 2015 with only 60 Hz and marketed as a gaming monitor. What country do you live in?

Nope. That's a regular monitor that should have never been released, lol. I just looked it up and it was released in 2015 with only 60 Hz and marketed as a gaming monitor. What country do you live in?

Why do you say ''a regular monitor that should have never been released'' ? i lived in Malaysia.

4 minutes ago, Wan Ismat said:

Why do you say ''a regular monitor that should have never been released'' ? i lived in Malaysia.

Well a 24 inch, 1080p, 60 Hz monitor is nothing spectacular to be released in 2015. Dell was able to get away with marketing it as a gaming monitor since you live in what I assume to be a still developing country and people probably don't know there are better things out there. Look at the comment section here:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/dell-se2417hg-60-hz-gaming-monitor.html

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Well a 24 inch, 1080p, 60 Hz monitor is nothing spectacular to be released in 2015. Dell was able to get away with marketing it as a gaming monitor since you live in what I assume to be a still developing country and people probably don't know there are better things out there. Look at the comment section here:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/dell-se2417hg-60-hz-gaming-monitor.html

oh i see, yea a still developing country. Our citizens still low knowledge about computer stuffs. I guess i should ask here before buy any PC parts so i get a full satisfaction for myself. Now i felt like a waste buying that Dell monitor, after you told me that Dell 24 inch 1080p 60hz monitor is nothing spectacular :(

3 minutes ago, Wan Ismat said:

oh i see, yea a still developing country. Our citizens still low knowledge about computer stuffs. I guess i should ask here before buy any PC parts so i get a full satisfaction for myself. Now i felt like a waste buying that Dell monitor, after you told me that Dell 24 inch 1080p 60hz monitor is nothing spectacular :(

Lol, don't worry about it. It doesn't mean it's a terrible monitor, but Dell probably got to charge a little bit more by branding it a gaming monitor. I'm guessing it's still an upgrade over what you had before.

Lol, don't worry about it. It doesn't mean it's a terrible monitor, but Dell probably got to charge a little bit more by branding it a gaming monitor. I'm guessing it's still an upgrade over what you had before.

I forgot to tell you that this is my first build, so in the past i don't have any monitor or CPU xD but what is your opinion about GTX 1060 6GB future? 

3 minutes ago, Wan Ismat said:

I forgot to tell you that this is my first build, so in the past i don't have any monitor or CPU xD but what is your opinion about GTX 1060 6GB future? 

I'm sure you should be able to get a good 3 years out of it which is pretty good.

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I'm sure you should be able to get a good 3 years out of it which is pretty good.

Thank you for your opinion. But i can see that AMD is getting better than before, which is an outstanding result after i watched a few benchmarks. 

1920x1080 is still by far the most common monitor resolution (38.21%), and I'll guess that 85%+ of those are running 60hz. The next most popular resolution (24.76%) is smaller, 1366x768.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Gaming Monitor is just usually used to refer to higher-than-average specs, like 80hz+, with g-sync or FreeSync, and lower response times. It not always is, but usually.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987