1990s audio equipment (ONKYO) Help/advise needed!

Hello, need some advise/help here.
I have an Onkyo TX-SV828THX Amplifier and an Onkyo ED-901 Decoder.
I also an DB25 to DB25 (to connect the decoder to the amp) and some other audio cables (Brand is monster cable) that came with the amp and decoder

I also have 2 front facing speakers, 1 center speaker, 1 sub woofer, and 4 surrounding speakers already mounted on the wall

The whole setup was working but was stashed in storage after no one in the house used it for many years.

How do i set it up so that it can output audio from my TV? (just a samsung LED TV, has 1 TOSLINK output)

TIA!

Spoiler

if you're wondering how i got these, my father bought them in the 1990s, been using them even after we shifted, but he had forgotten how to setup the whole thing as it was left untouched for so long:/

Looks like the decoder has digital inputs on the back (bottom left if Google images is correct). Connect your TV there and use the fancy 25 pin connector between the decoder and amp. Should that fail, the interwebs has a surprising collection of user manuals available.

8 minutes ago, CrayonShinChan said:

Hello, need some advise/help here.
I have an Onkyo TX-SV828THX Amplifier and an Onkyo ED-901 Decoder.
I also an DB25 to DB25 (to connect the decoder to the amp) and some other audio cables (Brand is monster cable) that came with the amp and decoder

I also have 2 front facing speakers, 1 center speaker, 1 sub woofer, and 4 surrounding speakers already mounted on the wall

The whole setup was working but was stashed in storage after no one in the house used it for many years.

How do i set it up so that it can output audio from my TV? (just a samsung LED TV, has 1 TOSLINK output)

TIA!

Reveal hidden contents

if you're wondering how i got these, my father bought them in the 1990s, been using them even after we shifted, but he had forgotten how to setup the whole thing as it was left untouched for so long:/

After performing a quick google search, it would appear you have numerous RCA inputs and outputs in the back of the Amplifier, which technically should be considered a reciever as far as I know (Please correct me if I'm wrong here)

If this is case, you can purchase a 3.5mm jack to RCA audio adapter and connect the 3.5mm end into your TV, and then the RCA connections to either Video 1, 2, or 3 on the input side.

I have a Fisher TAD-992 connected to my PC using this method, it works quite well actually.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

8 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Looks like the decoder has digital inputs on the back (bottom left if Google images is correct). Connect your TV there and use the fancy 25 pin connector between the decoder and amp. Should that fail, the interwebs has a surprising collection of user manuals available.

You lost me, what? Where is there a 25-pin connector?

Those are RCA inputs, which are analog, not digital. If you were to hook an RCA sound lead to a speaker through an analog amp, you would get sound and not the beeping associated with digital signals.

You have to keep in mind this is a 1990s stereo system, at best you would have S-video in if you wanted a digital signal.

EDIT: My bad, I didn't notice the serial port on the top

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

The multi channel audio shown in these images. OP implied he wanted to use the toslink from his TV to connect

Onkyo ed901.jpg

Onkyo_rear.jpg

actually im not sure how can i get the audio signal out from the TV into the amp, but i do see a TOSLINK out port on my TV, its not that i insist on using the TOSLINK for audio, but i dont know of any other ports that can output the audio from my TV LoL

as Dingus have shown, the decoder has a TOSLINK in port (the one on top with the word (DVD) optical on the left)

ok small update:

speakers are working with the amp (tested by tuning in to radio)

now my problem is how to i get audio out from my TV into the ED-901 decoder? :(

and what are the connections i need from my decoder to the amp? the manual is waaaaaaaaaaaay too complicated...

just a small info, im using a TV Box (which my ISP cum TV provider gave) which outputs HD videos to the TV via the HDMI cable

any help would be appreciated!