should I get the rx 460 2gb or it's 4gb variant?

Alright so I just bought all my base components for my first pc build for gaming...

I have been looking at benchmarks all day

I was going to save for the 1060..

Then I was leaning towards the 1050ti...

Then I was thinking of wating till I could afford an rx 480...

But now I have decided, the rx 460 will be my gpu for this build,now I just have a few questions....

There's a 2gb model from power color for 99$...but there's another model for 20$ more that has 4gb of vram. Now I have read all these articles about how it could "bottle-neck" some games. Holds back other components...future games will need at least 4gb of vram...ect ect

But I want to hear it from you guys...what cons are there to opting for the cheaper 2gb vram. I don't care about what future titles might be using but what will it do now? Will it be bad choice to get 2gb version? Any input is welcome I won't shoot down any opinions (also any gpu recommendations are welcome I'm always open to hear opinions)

Edit- forgot to mention that I will have an i3 6100 as a processer...if that matters at all

get 4gb vram as a minimum spec. vram is very important for games and having ore doesn't hurt. 

But what difference does it make what would I compromise in getting 2gb instead?

Also looked at the 470 too close to 480 price and not worth it to me,im ok with bringing my games down to medium settings anyways the 460 will do just fine for what I need (also like the low power consumption)

1 minute ago, Lumen15 said:

But what difference does it make what would I compromise in getting 2gb instead?

Also looked at the 470 too close to 480 price and not worth it to me,im ok with bringing my games down to medium settings anyways the 460 will do just fine for what I need (also like the low power consumption)

a 1050 would still be better

Looked at it too,the rx 460 can oc better (also has a 6 pin if I really want to oc to the max) and there's only about a max 10 frame difference in most games between the two cards. Also vulkan support is a big thing for me,the benchmarks for Radeon vulkan support surprised me (this card pulled 60+fps in doom on vulkan :0 )

Also it's 10$ cheaper than the 1050

2 minutes ago, Lumen15 said:

Looked at it too,the rx 460 can oc better (also has a 6 pin if I really want to oc to the max) and there's only about a max 10 frame difference in games between the two cards. Also vulkan support is a big thing for me,the benchmarks for Radeon vulkan support surprised me (this card pulled 60+fps in doom on vulkan :0 )

Doom is extremely optimized. You will not see 60fps AT ALL in other games. RX470 will last you much longer, and currently has the highest price-performance ratio. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

I'm aware but again I'm not interested in getting 60 fps in most games and if I had to I would be willing to adjust settings for them to be playable. This card mathed what I wanted and it's what I'm sticking with for now

Thanks for the input :)

But I just want to know if 2gb is enough

3 minutes ago, Lumen15 said:

I'm aware but again I'm not interested in getting 60 fps in most games and if I had to I would be willing to adjust settings for them to be playable. This card mathed what I wanted and it's what I'm sticking with for now

If you're fine with low-medium yes, otherwise get a GTX 1050 TI because the RX460 4gb isn't worth it.

41 minutes ago, Lumen15 said:

Running out of vram will TANK your performance... I would spring for the 4g model and avoid the stress.

42 minutes ago, Lumen15 said:

It's enough for quite a few games. Those that use more can be installed to an SSD to reduce cycling time for textures, models, etc.

Sorry for the users who've avoided your question. Having said that I wouldn't recommend the 4GB 460 since the stronger 470 is about $30 more worth it.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

30$? The cheapest 470 I have seen is 179?

Also ssds help with low vram?

1 hour ago, AdmiralIronside said:

Running out of vram will TANK your performance... I would spring for the 4g model and avoid the stress.

Not when you're only packing the shading power of a 1050 or 460, really. There's a perceived trend for games to take more VRAM, but I don't think that's the case.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Not when you're only packing the shading power of a 1050 or 460, really. There's a perceived trend for games to take more VRAM, but I don't think that's the case.

I haven't run into a "Normal" scenario where I need more than 3-3.5g of vram so 8 to 12 is "a bit" overkill unless you mod like crazy. But triple-A titles push over 2g enough now with the trend going up e.g. BF1 that a 4g vram size is great for making sure you get your money's worth out of your card if you want solid future performance and resale value vs FramesPerDollar for 6mo until the new thing comes out.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/battlefield-1-pc-graphics-benchmark-review,11.html

57 minutes ago, Lumen15 said:

30$? The cheapest 470 I have seen is 179?

Also ssds help with low vram?

No. But they make your computer feel more responsive and reduce loading screen time.

1 minute ago, AdmiralIronside said:

I haven't run into a "Normal" scenario where I need more than 3-3.5g of vram so 8 to 12 is "a bit" overkill unless you mod like crazy. But triple-A titles push over 2g enough now with the trend going up e.g. BF1 that a 4g vram size is great for making sure you get your money's worth out of your card if you want solid future performance and resale value vs FramesPerDollar for 6mo until the new thing comes out.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/battlefield-1-pc-graphics-benchmark-review,11.html

No. But they make your computer feel more responsive and reduce loading screen time.

I can tell you, I max out my memory in multiple games with my 2GB 560 Ti. Performance doesn't really tank and a lot of the time I'm at constant 60fps.

It's a bit late but I'll dig for bench comparing the 2GB 460 to the 4GB sometime

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I can tell you, I max out my memory in multiple games with my 2GB 560 Ti. Performance doesn't really tank and a lot of the time I'm at constant 60fps.

It's a bit late but I'll dig for bench comparing the 2GB 460 to the 4GB sometime

If you don't take a hit to framerate you take a hit to detail quality.

Just now, AdmiralIronside said:

If you don't take a hit to framerate you take a hit to detail quality.

I think the most demanding stuff I play is Skyrim wtith a bunch of mods (mostly 45-60, except in goddamn markarth) and Witcher 3, in 1600x900. Still seeing my RAM hit 2GB and framerates remain playable

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I think the most demanding stuff I play is Skyrim wtith a bunch of mods (mostly 45-60, except in goddamn markarth) and Witcher 3, in 1600x900. Still seeing my RAM hit 2GB and framerates remain playable

*1600x900 *playable 

Cinematic too amiright;)

If framerates fluctuating don't bother you that's fine. In my subjective opinion purchase of a gpu with 2gb of vram now will not stand up to the test of time like it did 6 years ago when 2gb of vram on a mid tier card would do ya just fine for a while.

2 hours ago, Lumen15 said:

I could swear I saw the 4gb 460 for 79.99 on sale

but honestly , if you have no fear of used, buy something like a R9 290 , that thing is like a 970 , but cheaper , and in doom it hauls ass

and 290´s are cheap , got mine for 133€

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

That r9 290 looks like an amazing deal especially for 70$ for what I found on ebay...but 300 watts under load? Would my 430 watt psu be able to take that well?

(also it's recommended to get at least a 600 watt psu for that card..)

I never took much thought into the used market and I'm pleasantly surprised that a card that strong is only <100$

If 100$-120$ is your budget i would rather try to find a used graphics card for this price instead of investing in a new lower end card ... 4GB VRAM would be my minimum for today.

14 minutes ago, Lumen15 said:

SSD's will help with low VRAM since the SSD can send new and needed textures to the GPU much faster than a HDD. Think of open-world games, they load data at all times and having low VRAM requires it to cycle through objects and the SSD will help get those with minimal downtime such as texture pop-in.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I started a new topic for a used gpu recomendation thanks for the idea :)