Overclocking and Power Options

Hey everyone,

I ran into a bit of an oddity I don't think I've seen before but for anyone that overclocks their CPU and has it setup as adaptive mode, does your multiplier drop down to a lower idle state when your Windows power options are setup as Balanced mode? I previous had it setup as that and it worked flawless but recently after redoing an overclock it seems that for some reason or another Balance mode now peaks the CPU multiplier (and voltage) regardless if the system is in idle or under stress. There are moments it drops down a little lower but no more than a second or two, not sure if this is a recent thing with windows or some setting I'm missing. 

Specs:

4790K @ 4.8Ghz

Z97-Pro

Gigabyte G1 970

8 minutes ago, W-L said:

Hey everyone,

I ran into a bit of an oddity I don't think I've seen before but for anyone that overclocks their CPU and has it setup as adaptive mode, does your multiplier drop down to a lower idle state when your Windows power options are setup as Balanced mode? I previous had it setup as that and it worked flawless but recently after redoing an overclock it seems that for some reason or another Balance mode now peaks the CPU multiplier (and voltage) regardless if the system is in idle or under stress. There are moments it drops down a little lower but no more than a second or two, not sure if this is a recent thing with windows or some setting I'm missing. 

Specs:

4790K @ 4.8Ghz

Z97-Pro

Gigabyte G1 970

Yeah I've had this happen a few times, but it was due to some program not letting my system go down to a lower power state or my windows randomly changing my min processor state to 100% instead of 25%.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

1 minute ago, Ryoku said:

Yeah I've had this happen a few times, but it was due to some program not letting my system go down to a lower power state or my windows randoms changing my min processor state to 100% instead of 25%.

Any idea which program that would be I setup the processor state so it lets it go down to 1% but it just keeps peaking it. The only thing I can do to make it lower the multiplier is if I put it on power saver but it tends to not react fast enough and causes some random lag spikes for certain things. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Any idea which program that would be I setup the processor state so it lets it go down to 1% but it just keeps peaking it. The only thing I can do to make it lower the multiplier is if I put it on power saver but it tends to not react fast enough and causes some random lag spikes for certain things. 

For me it was something with hardware acceleration I believe?  I don't quite remember it was awhile ago.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

34 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

For me it was something with hardware acceleration I believe?  I don't quite remember it was awhile ago.

Looks like they disabled the option to change that in Windows 10 :/ 

If worst comes to worst I guess I could do a reinstall and hope for the best. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Looks like they disabled the option to change that in Windows 10 :/ 

If worst comes to worst I guess I could do a reinstall and hope for the best. 

Oh I remember what it was for me, was when I used a Corsair h100i corsair link caused my pc to stay at max all the time, if I closed the program it would drop to 800mhz like it was supposed to.  The other time was when I installed AI Suite I believe it was, some how it set my min power state to 100% as well and I had to go change it back to 25% or something.

38 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

Oh I remember what it was for me, was when I used a Corsair h100i corsair link caused my pc to stay at max all the time, if I closed the program it would drop to 800mhz like it was supposed to.  The other time was when I installed AI Suite I believe it was, some how it set my min power state to 100% as well and I had to go change it back to 25% or something.

Unfortunately it looks like if it is a program that is causing this it is something I can't find or disable to find the problem. Looks like I might just have to do a reinstall then... 

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

Unfortunately it looks like if it is a program that is causing this it is something I can't find or disable to find the problem. Looks like I might just have to do a reinstall then... 

That's unfortunate >_<

Are you sure you aren't missing a setting in the BIOS?  iirc my z97-a had a few settings that were in multiple places in the bios, also some of the features seemed redundant and it took a bit of messing to get it to downclock for me too.  I'm not using the z97-a anymore, or I'd check my setting for you.  

I can say that I'm downclocking just fine from 4.9 to 800mhz, with 3-4 things running on my Gryphon right now (edit: in balanced mode)

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

13 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Are you sure you aren't missing a setting in the BIOS?  iirc my z97-a had a few settings that were in multiple places in the bios, also some of the features seemed redundant and it took a bit of messing to get it to downclock for me too.  I'm not using the z97-a anymore, or I'd check my setting for you.  

I can say that I'm downclocking just fine from 4.9 to 800mhz, with 3-4 things running on my Gryphon right now (edit: in balanced mode)

I'll take a look again I don't think I missed anything, it's just odd why it worked previously and now it just stopped downclocking now.

Are you not running your 5.0Ghz system anymore xD 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

I'll take a look again I don't think I missed anything, it's just odd why it worked previously and now it just stopped downclocking now.

Are you not running you 5.0Ghz system anymore xD 

That is very strange.  I swear, sometimes things like to change themselves in the bios.   Bios gnomes or something...

Oh you noticed.. :$ I got 2 bsod while playing The Division a few nights ago and unfortunately downclocking seemed to fix it so far-_-  Haven't had any other issues though

I keep telling myself it's only temporary and I'll get some more serious testing done, but I have a sinking feeling I may just end up another 49'er xD  Meanwhile I'm enjoying the reduced heat lol

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

1 hour ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

That is very strange.  I swear, sometimes things like to change themselves in the bios.   Bios gnomes or something...

Oh you noticed.. :$ I got 2 bsod while playing The Division a few nights ago and unfortunately downclocking seemed to fix it so far-_-  Haven't had any other issues though

I keep telling myself it's only temporary and I'll get some more serious testing done, but I have a sinking feeling I may just end up another 49'er xD  Meanwhile I'm enjoying the reduced heat lol

I took a look around the BIOS changed some settings with EPU and power management and still no luck, oh Windows...9_9 Temps are still good so I guess I'll live with it until I do a reformat some time later on.

Well that's pushing the limits for sure, what temps do you get I tried past 4.9GHz and my CPU wasn't very happy temp wise, it kept hitting the thermal limit and started to downclock itself. 

51 minutes ago, W-L said:

I took a look around the BIOS changed some settings with EPU and power management and still no luck, oh Windows...9_9 Temps are still good so I guess I'll live with it until I do a reformat some time later on.

Well that's pushing the limits for sure, what temps do you get I tried past 4.9GHz and my CPU wasn't very happy temp wise, it kept hitting the thermal limit and started to downclock itself. 

At that speeds it's easier to lock the cpu voltage and clock. Yes heat, power consumption and other things start happening but fixed voltage always results in less Vcore overall and less power consumption and heat consequently. Doing this you avoid those transient load scenarios that may cause the BSOD, asuming it was a CPU related BSOD (see even viewer for WHEA loggers or watchdog alerts) it could also be the RAM corrupting critical data where kernel or system drivers were stored and causing the BSOD, should definitely check the dump with BlueScreenViewer to see what was compromised in the system exception. 

Fixed voltage and max clock always gave better results for extreme scenarios like yours. Give it a shot. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Huh bummer.  Have you tried booting into safe mode and seeing if the problem persists?

If I hit mine with IBT set to "High" it'll get about 85c max and I haven't seen it throttle since I tried 1.5v going for 5.1GHz.  highest gaming temps I've seen is 55c.  Delidding really helped, and then getting the naked mount just took it the extra mile.  I need to get some CLU though, the PhoybaLM I've been using has been drying up and requiring reapplication too frequently.  I just haven't done it again since I have a hardline loop ^_^  Maybe that is why I started having issues.  I dialed that 5.0 clock in right after switching to naked mount 6 months ago and since then I've gone up about 12°c.  I'm interested in what CLU will do for me

Also, I never noticed too much of a difference between downclocked/adaptive voltage.  I use them because I feel like it's better for the CPU (says the guy pumping 1.4+ 24/7) but I don't see any power usage drop on my Kill-a-watt and my idle/water temps stay the same.