What can I salvage from this water damage?

Go to solution Solved by samcool55,
2 hours ago, milleraj08 said:

Thanks guys :) I've order some stuff for this. Is there any way to identify the fans?

The cooler master ones look like cooler master OEM fans, just regular cheap fans, nothing special.

At least the 2 side data storage fans are. But the other CM fans look very similar so it's probably safe to say they are OEM ones as well.

There are 2 corsair fans and 1 cooler master fans in the top btw.

Anyway the 2 corsair fans are just the ones that come with the H100, again nothing special. 

Hello LinusTechTips,

I bought a rig off of a friend's sketchy friend a few years ago. I'm hoping his story was true and it wasn't stolen. Anyway, years pass and, while cat-sitting my mom's cat, while I'm taking a nap, the cat knocked water on top of the PC. It doesn't work anymore. I'm trying to identify the parts of the system, as I never really knew, and fix or replace any parts.

Here's more information on the damage (I got busy and didn't finish troubleshooting 10 months ago, however now I need to get working computer to use. I was going to get a new computer but I may have to face reality and try to make this work):

Here's what I found so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.99 @ Corsair) 
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($292.33 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($89.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($89.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Corsair Force Series GS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($189.99 @ Corsair) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($77.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card 
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II (Black) ATX Full Tower Case  ($309.99 @ Jet) 
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 1200W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($299.99 @ Corsair) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit  ($199.99 @ B&H) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC66 PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter 
Total: $1670.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-02 07:37 EST-0500

Optical Drive:http://a.co/jbIAFaU

Mouse: Mad Catz M.M.O.7 (black/orange) http://a.co/9N2Miro

Need to find:

I'm hoping there's a way to identify the CPU and if that residue is ok.

Let me know if you need any more information!

Thank you

The residue on the CPU is thermal compound, it seems to be in a not-great condition and because of the water i would replace it asap.

It's cheap to replace, just a few bucks :)

You need to get rid of it anyway before we can identify what cpu you have.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Wipe the thermal compound off the CPU at the name of the CPU and its clock speed and other relevant info will be on the top of the heat sync. Good luck!

Thanks guys :) I've order some stuff for this. Is there any way to identify the fans?

2 hours ago, milleraj08 said:

The cooler master ones look like cooler master OEM fans, just regular cheap fans, nothing special.

At least the 2 side data storage fans are. But the other CM fans look very similar so it's probably safe to say they are OEM ones as well.

There are 2 corsair fans and 1 cooler master fans in the top btw.

Anyway the 2 corsair fans are just the ones that come with the H100, again nothing special. 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon