WAN to Ethernet

LordofSavages
Go to solution Solved by ashypanda,

the ping is going to be down to double NAT, read the manual of the new router to see if it has an access point mode, and if it has that'll pretty much solve everything.

So I have a VDSL connection from my ISP and I recently got a new router for more LAN ports so I can set up a wired connection. However, I overlooked the fact the router only takes a normal LAN Ethernet port (The wide yellow ones, whatever it's called), and the connection from the ISP comes from a WAN port( or whatever it's called, it's a grey one which is a bit narrower). So the question is how do I get the wire to connect to the new router?

You'll need a router with an RJ11 port on it. The wide port is RJ45. You cannot just go RJ11 to RJ45 on a single cable.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

You'll need a router with an RJ11 port on it. The wide port is RJ45. You cannot just go RJ11 to RJ45 on a single cable.

So if I wanna use the new router, what do I do?

18 minutes ago, YaqinHasan said:

So if I wanna use the new router, what do I do?

Post a picture of all the connections on your ISP provided modem.

...or don't so that everyone can keep guessing what you mean by "whatever it's called".  O.o

you could have saved your self the headache, by just buying an unmanaged switch, and it sounds like you bought a cable/FTTP router, instead of one with a built in VDSL modem, as if you want to use the router you just bought you're going to need a VDSL modem.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

1 minute ago, ashypanda said:

you could have saved your self the headache, but just buying an unmanaged switch, and it sounds like you bought a cable/FTTP router, instead of one without a built in VDSL modem, as if you want to use the router you just bought you're going to need a VDSL modem.

So.. where can I get a VDSL modem? I'm using the VDSL modem's Ethernet port to connect to the new router and in that case my ping goes from 170 to 600-700(at least 400-500) on pingtest.net. Why's it do that?

the ping is going to be down to double NAT, read the manual of the new router to see if it has an access point mode, and if it has that'll pretty much solve everything.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

1 minute ago, ashypanda said:

I'm not that good with networking stuff the router's website is:https://www.trendnet.com/products/wifi/AC-routers/AC3200/TEW-828DRU So does it work?

37 minutes ago, ashypanda said:

I set it to "Client Bridge mode" or something which did the same thing and fixed it. thanks!