New computer turns on but no display

LuX_
Go to solution Solved by LuX_,
2 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

yep what @mariushm said sounds right - also make sure you got the 8pin CPU connector connected :-)

I have found the issue, i pulled a very idiotic move and forgot to plug the 8pin in, it was fair hidden behind the cooler. Thank you for the help though guys :)

So, I just built a computer, it turns on but it does not show a display through the motherboard VGA port or and of the graphics card ports. I have tried taking everything out but the CPU and fans and there's still no display. I have also tried doing the unplugging the computer cord and holding the power button for 30seconds. Any ideas and what's happened?

If your new computer has a video card from the polaris series (RX 4**) or the Pascal series (GTX 10**) , these cards no longer have analogue out, so the passive adapters DVI to VGA no longer work.

So what usually happens is that you plug the video card in the computer and the onboard video card is disabled automatically (so those connectors from motherboard no longer work) but the passive adapter on the video card doesn't work anymore and that's why it looks like your new video card also doesn't work. It actually works, it's just the passive adapter no longer being usable.

So if that's the case, you'll need an active converter, to convert DisplayPort or HDMI to VGA. May have to remove the dedicated video card from the system until you get the converter

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

If your new computer has a video card from the polaris series (RX 4**) or the Pascal series (GTX 10**) , these cards no longer have analogue out, so the passive adapters DVI to VGA no longer work.

So what usually happens is that you plug the video card in the computer and the onboard video card is disabled automatically (so those connectors from motherboard no longer work) but the passive adapter on the video card doesn't work anymore and that's why it looks like your new video card also doesn't work. It actually works, it's just the passive adapter no longer being usable.

So if that's the case, you'll need an active converter, to convert DisplayPort or HDMI to VGA. May have to remove the dedicated video card from the system until you get the converter

Ive tried removing the GPU and using the VGA aswell and still no display output. Should i try the HDMI port on the GTX 1060 then?

I just tried using the HDMi port and i still have no display

Get the computer into a minimal working state.

Does the CPU have intergrated graphics? The motherboard may have video connectors but the video card is not on the motherboard, it's in the CPU.

Remove the dedicated video card, connect the monitor to the motherboard hdmi connector and you should get the display working this way.

Go in BIOS and configure to boot using a dedicated video card in the PCI Express slot instead of the integrated graphics card.

Then, you save the changes, turn off the PC, install the gtx 1060 video card in the pci express slot and move the HDMI cable into the dedicated video card

And it should work.

Oh, make sure the monitor is actually "listening" for signal on the HDMI, some monitors automatically search for signal and rotate through the connectors looking for signal, some get stuck on vga input or whatever was last used and don't look on other connectors.

3 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

well dumb idea here: monitor set to right source?

yea xD

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Get the computer into a minimal working state.

Does the CPU have intergrated graphics? The motherboard may have video connectors but the video card is not on the motherboard, it's in the CPU.

Remove the dedicated video card, connect the monitor to the motherboard hdmi connector and you should get the display working this way.

Go in BIOS and configure to boot using a dedicated video card in the PCI Express slot instead of the integrated graphics card.

Then, you save the changes, turn off the PC, install the gtx 1060 video card in the pci express slot and move the HDMI cable into the dedicated video card

And it should work.

Oh, make sure the monitor is actually "listening" for signal on the HDMI, some monitors automatically search for signal and rotate through the connectors looking for signal, some get stuck on vga input or whatever was last used and don't look on other connectors.

Yes it does its an intel I5

I have tried this with no success

I dont get what yo mean but this

2 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

yep what @mariushm said sounds right - also make sure you got the 8pin CPU connector connected :-)

I have found the issue, i pulled a very idiotic move and forgot to plug the 8pin in, it was fair hidden behind the cooler. Thank you for the help though guys :)

1 minute ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

and then he makes his answers the "Best Answer" while quoting me. Gonna cry in a corner, that one, over there...

Sorry hahah i couldnt figure out how to do it until i clicked on mine xD

1 minute ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

and then he makes his answers the "Best Answer" while quoting me. Gonna cry in a corner, that one, over there...

but now there is another issue, the 8pin connector doesnt reach hahaha

DON'T PANIK! I take control here! I totally got this! Don't you worry!

Use some spare wires from your broken microwave, warm them up with a hairdryer, do the same with the 8 pin. When they start to glow red/white hold them together and say: "Fuse baby fuse" and voila, done, cable extended! It's that easy.

or go for the totally lame approach and use one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519&IsNodeId=1&Description=EPS Extension cable&bop=And&CompareItemList=-1|12-198-006^12-198-006-01#,12-200-124^12-200-124-01#&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-Skimlinks-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3987228&SID=1402X558040Xd4401d066e6058b5999c898d0efc605e holy mother that link is long...

4 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

DON'T PANIK! I take control here! I totally got this! Don't you worry!

Use some spare wires from your broken microwave, warm them up with a hairdryer, do the same with the 8 pin. When they start to glow red/white hold them together and say: "Fuse baby fuse" and voila, done, cable extended! It's that easy.

or go for the totally lame approach and use one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519&IsNodeId=1&Description=EPS Extension cable&bop=And&CompareItemList=-1|12-198-006^12-198-006-01#,12-200-124^12-200-124-01#&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-Skimlinks-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3987228&SID=1402X558040Xd4401d066e6058b5999c898d0efc605e holy mother that link is long...

do they ship to australia, i checks PC case gear and i cant find them on there

no idea - but that stuff should be available pretty much everywhere.

got a modular PSU? mine came with an 8 pin extension if needed, maybe yours did too?

34 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

no idea - but that stuff should be available pretty much everywhere.

got a modular PSU? mine came with an 8 pin extension if needed, maybe yours did too?

ill check umart tomorrow they usually have everything. Nah its not a modular and i even checked the boxes from my own pc and i dont have an extension anywhere. but its all goooood. thanks bro