Suggestion for rackmount network switch

Wolf_Lbh

Looking for a switch with at least 15 ports (24 ideal), 19inch 1u rackmount dimensions, and accepts an ethernet line in (I don't want to have to separate wires and crimp them and ect). Currently using cat5e but sometime in the next year or two it will get upgraded to fiber optic so I would like it to work with both cat5 and cat6.

Not really sure what importance "shielding" offers but feel free to let me know if I need that on my switch or not. Thanks for the help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F83374359. has some sfp ports if you have a nee for them

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1. In light of the above option, I'll provide a switch that is a little bit more expensive (about $20) but is one that I've personally worked on and know works with fiber (through SFP+) and handles full CAT 6 Speed (Gigabit). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1EA35K4478

2. Shielded cabling provides a thicker outer covering and a separation between the twisted pairs inside the cable. This prevents cross talk and magnetic/electric currents that could interfere with the cabling. It would be a pretty safe assumption to just stick with unshielded (UTP) cabling, but if you're interested you can read this article to gain some education and fully decide for yourself if it's necessary. http://electronicdesign.com/components/how-determine-when-shielded-network-cabling-required

What level of functionality did you want? Full layer 3?

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

What level of functionality did you want? Full layer 3?

This is my first networking project. I was just looking for something I could run my one ethernet cable into and have my internet go out to all my consoles and my tower on direct lines that wouldn't be speed capped when my isp switches to fiber optic in the next year or two.

I don't really know anything about networking specs, just that my current line is cat5e and going to be updated soon. I get download speeds that max out at 2 MB/sec and I'm told when fiber optic lines are installed it will be multiple times faster.

26 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

This is my first networking project. I was just looking for something I could run my one ethernet cable into and have my internet go out to all my consoles and my tower on direct lines that wouldn't be speed capped when my isp switches to fiber optic in the next year or two.

I don't really know anything about networking specs, just that my current line is cat5e and going to be updated soon. I get download speeds that max out at 2 MB/sec and I'm told when fiber optic lines are installed it will be multiple times faster.

Do you care about how much management you are able to do? E.g. Unmanaged, managed through a web portal, or managed by telnet/ssh/serial? Do you require features like STP, SNMP?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Just now, brwainer said:

Do you care about how much management you are able to do? E.g. Unmanaged, managed through a web portal, or managed by telnet/ssh/serial? Do you require features like STP, SNMP?

All I want is to have my one line in get split into 12+ lines out and not get speed capped. I don't need any settings or additional firewall stuff.

I bought a GSM7224 off eBay for £25 with postage, really good value, and (at least in the UK) they are fairly easy to find.

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

Just now, Wolf_Lbh said:

All I want is to have my one line in get split into 12+ lines out and not get speed capped. I don't need any settings or additional firewall stuff.

You could get something cheap like a GS724T 

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

12 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unmanaged-GREENnet-Rack-Mount-TEG-S24G/dp/B004UBO30I?th=1&psc=1

EDIT: or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002HAJQGA/ref=psdcmw_281414_t2_B004UBO30I

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: