Ping spikes even with new router. Connected via ethernet.

a2242364

Upgraded to TP LINK w841n from dlink dir 615. The ping spikes aren't as intense anymore, but they are more frequent. Instead of spiking to 200 ish every few minutes, it spikes to 100 every 15 seconds. Can't play games when these spikes. I thought upgrading my router would do it, and people here told me so as well, but no dice. What could it be?

This may sound weird, but do you know what your Ethernet adaptor/port is? When I first got my computer it had a lot of "green Ethernet" (energy saving) features enabled which I had found was increasing ping times and ping spikes.

Maybe look into the advanced settings of your Ethernet port.

Thanks,

Zapmaster14

Check your modem to make sure it is working correctly. I would then check the physical cables such as the coax and ethernet. Also after you've power cycled your router and modem was it better for a bit and the symptoms show up again over time?

2 minutes ago, zapmaster14 said:

This may sound weird, but do you know what your Ethernet adaptor/port is? When I first got my computer it had a lot of "green Ethernet" (energy saving) features enabled which I had found was increasing ping times and ping spikes.

Maybe look into the advanced settings of your Ethernet port.

is there like an ELI5 rundown on how to configure settings for ethernet port?

1 minute ago, RotoCoreOne said:

Check your modem to make sure it is working correctly. I would then check the physical cables such as the coax and ethernet. Also after you've power cycled your router and modem was it better for a bit and the symptoms show up again over time?

I should add, when I connect my computer directly to modem, I don't get any spikes. So it can't be a modem issue right?

that wouldnt be it. then. is your ip config correct? such as your modem and router being on the same subnet?

Just now, RotoCoreOne said:

that wouldnt be it. then. is your ip config correct? such as your modem and router being on the same subnet?

not tekksavy at all, can you explain how i can check?

Connect to your modem and open up command prompt. and type ipconfig and look for default gateway or ipv4 address. do the same with the router and record what you find. To check if they are on the same subnet, usually your ipv4 or default gateway will be "192.168.x.1 through 255" Make sure the "x" is the same number on both.

1 minute ago, a2242364 said:

is there like an ELI5 rundown on how to configure settings for ethernet port?

That is a good question, I can try to write a quick run down of what I would do, if you're running windows you can follow along...

If you go to your search menu: 2016-12-30_09-01-23.png

Search for "Device Manager" : NVIDIA%20Share_2016-12-30_09-02-05.png

Then in device manager, go to "Network Adapters" and select your network adapter. For me it is "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" (The other adapters are VM adapters, Schools xD)

mmc_2016-12-30_09-03-30.png

Right click your adapter, click properties and then at the new menu click "Advanced"

As you can see on my adapter I have disabled / have some features that are energy efficient, these in my experience make ping times higher and increase packet loss.

mmc_2016-12-30_09-05-18.png

This is all quite advanced though, but I remember having a similar problem! Hopefully you find a solution.

Thanks,

Zapmaster14

41 minutes ago, zapmaster14 said:

That is a good question, I can try to write a quick run down of what I would do, if you're running windows you can follow along...

If you go to your search menu: 2016-12-30_09-01-23.png

Search for "Device Manager" : NVIDIA%20Share_2016-12-30_09-02-05.png

Then in device manager, go to "Network Adapters" and select your network adapter. For me it is "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" (The other adapters are VM adapters, Schools xD)

mmc_2016-12-30_09-03-30.png

Right click your adapter, click properties and then at the new menu click "Advanced"

As you can see on my adapter I have disabled / have some features that are energy efficient, these in my experience make ping times higher and increase packet loss.

mmc_2016-12-30_09-05-18.png

This is all quite advanced though, but I remember having a similar problem! Hopefully you find a solution.

which ones exactly did you disable?

43 minutes ago, U.Ho said:

Did you ever check where the spikes originate at?

Router? ISP? Host?

And how did you do that?

It's when I'm playing league of legends lol. However, unlike my last router, my spikes don't happen when pinging my router via cmd.

Energy Efficient Ethernet, Green Ethernet, is the ones I'd recommend disabling.

Thanks,

Zapmaster14

45 minutes ago, RotoCoreOne said:

Connect to your modem and open up command prompt. and type ipconfig and look for default gateway or ipv4 address. do the same with the router and record what you find. To check if they are on the same subnet, usually your ipv4 or default gateway will be "192.168.x.1 through 255" Make sure the "x" is the same number on both.

yeah they are the same

I know you just got this router bit try performing a hard reset. See if that helps. If it doesn't then I'd take a look and see if there's a new firmware you can update that router with