Ultra HD Playback Stuttering/Laggy

Ilumic

Need some help here guys 

Whenever I try to play a ultra hd file on my pc it stutters and is slow runs at about 16 fps, my pc specs are in my profile. Ive tried streaming it through plex but thats the same problem laggy and slow. Ive tried diffrent media players but they all have the same problem. Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what the problem is. 

Thanks

CPU 5900x| GPU 3080ti FE| MOBO MSI MPG CARBON MAX| RAM 32GB VENGENCE PRO 3200Mhz| STORAGE Samsung 980 Pro 1TB,2X WDSN750,4TB Seagate Barracuda| COOLING 1x Corsair 360mm XR7 54mm Radiator,1x EK-CoolStream PE 360mm Radiator| GPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XG7 RGB| CPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XC5 RGB| Fittings: EK-Torque STC & Corsair Hydro X Series XF| Pump/Res: EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5| Tubing: Corsair Hydro X Series XT Softline| Liquid: Corsair Hydro X Series XL5 Clear| Fans: 10x Corsair SP120 RGB

48 minutes ago, Lewiscool45 said:

-snip-

Funny you are asking this. I have been struggling with this same issue myself for the past couple of weeks now. The help I found online all pointed to the playback software I was using, and each forum had a different solution. Unfortunately none of them explicated stated the problem. Took me a while to figure it out.

The underlying issue you are having is your CPU is outdated. Check your CPU usage during playback. I bet it's sky rocketing. My OCed 5820k runs 4k HEVC content without a struggle, but that's overkill for movies. My media server is using a 2.3 GHz quad core CPU circa 2008... and it cannot keep up with 4k playback. Or can it?

The second issue is that no playback software defaults to hardware acceleration. In other words, your fancy graphics card is falling asleep while your CPU is falling apart. Unfortunately activating your GPU fixes half the issue. Your frame rate will go up, but the quality will look like unshaven butt cheeks in most cases.

My recommendation is to use a program called MPC-BE, and Google instructions for downloading, installing, and enabling madVR codecs within MPC-BE. The process will guide you through activating your GPU for handling the encoding. Just remember to check the box next to HEVC during the process.

Thanks for the help ill give this a try, its probably time for a new cpu soon anyway haha

CPU 5900x| GPU 3080ti FE| MOBO MSI MPG CARBON MAX| RAM 32GB VENGENCE PRO 3200Mhz| STORAGE Samsung 980 Pro 1TB,2X WDSN750,4TB Seagate Barracuda| COOLING 1x Corsair 360mm XR7 54mm Radiator,1x EK-CoolStream PE 360mm Radiator| GPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XG7 RGB| CPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XC5 RGB| Fittings: EK-Torque STC & Corsair Hydro X Series XF| Pump/Res: EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5| Tubing: Corsair Hydro X Series XT Softline| Liquid: Corsair Hydro X Series XL5 Clear| Fans: 10x Corsair SP120 RGB

1 minute ago, Lewiscool45 said:

Thanks for the help ill give this a try, its probably time for a new cpu soon anyway haha

Well for other reasons I can see that... but not 4k playback. You paid good money for that GPU, so why not use it?

Let me know if this solves your issue.

You have a good point, Ill get back to you if it works :)

Update I tried GPU encoding and it runs butter smooth thanks so much :) 

On 12/29/2016 at 11:14 AM, Lewiscool45 said:

Update I tried GPU encoding and it runs butter smooth thanks so much :) 

No problem bro. Enjoy your films