Any way to use my computer as a modem?

Go to solution Solved by Francisco Collado,

I was able to do everything by bridging my two connections, then I just had to connect my ethernet cable to my swith and my switch to my router (It didn't work with just the router). Doing that, everything worked fine and Now I am able to have wireless 4G on my house and I was able to chain connect both of my computeres.

Thanks!

Hello, have a great nigt, I need to know if there is a way to use my computer as a modem.

First option I have:

I have a 4G usb modem connected to my main computer.

I want to share my internet from my computer to my router (TP-LINK TL-WR740N)

Then, I want to use my router to share my internet connection to another computer using an ethernet cable.

Second option I have:

I have a 4G usb modem connected to my main computer.

I want to share my internet connection from my computer to a switch (TP-LINK SF1005D)

Then, I want to use my router to share my internet connection to another computer using an ethernet cable.

Both computeres are using Windows 10 as their operative system.

NOTE: Currently, my budget is 0$ so I need to know if there is a way to do what I need with my current components.

Thanks for your help,

Francisco Collado

You can connect your main computer directly to the other computer to share internet. And it works, Windows support that. I am not sure if you can do through a router

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

You can connect your main computer directly to the other computer to share internet. And it works, Windows support that. I am not sure if you can do through a router

Not a bad Idea, but the cable is not long enough and the pcs are far away. This is why I am using a router or a switch. I will try using the switch, but I don't know how to configurate it to make it work.

Modems and routers are two different things. All a modem does is converts the ISP connection (usually DSL) into a usable connection for you (usually RJ45).

No, In most cases, you can't use your computer as a modem.

If you're looking to turn your computer into a router, You'd need to create a virtual machine and run routing software like pfSense or the equivalent (that's if you don't want to spend anything)

I was able to do everything by bridging my two connections, then I just had to connect my ethernet cable to my swith and my switch to my router (It didn't work with just the router). Doing that, everything worked fine and Now I am able to have wireless 4G on my house and I was able to chain connect both of my computeres.

Thanks!