MSI PCB's and WaterBlocks

AlgaeEater

I've noticed when it comes to the MSI Gtx 970, the VRMs are located in a different spot, preventing the use of and many mods, suchs as waterblocks, or even a G10 Kraken add on.

Does anyone have a picture of a MSI Gaming X 1000 series card's PCB?  Or does anyone know if it has the same problem, to where the VRM is located in a different area than most other cards?

It just sucks knowing that if I ever want to go SLI or do a custom loop.. that I'll never be able to with my MSI 970, since the waterblocks for the msi 970 have been discontinued(being that they are so specific), while others live on.

It's not just a matter of the VRMs, if an aftermarket card isn't running the reference PCB, chances are you'll only be able to use water blocks and other modding stuff specifically made for that aftermarket card.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

4 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

It's not just a matter of the VRMs, if an aftermarket card isn't running the reference PCB, chances are you'll only be able to use water blocks and other modding stuff specifically made for that aftermarket card.

Is there a way to tell if an aftermarket is running the reference PCB?  I'd assume they don't, but what do I know haha

1 minute ago, AlgaeEater said:

Is there a way to tell if an aftermarket is running the reference PCB?  I'd assume they don't, but what do I know haha

I would think most if not all board partners will mention that on the spec page for the card. If not I suppose you could watch/read some reviews of the card in question and someone will probably mention the PCB design.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...