Windows Killed Itself

RAM555789

So I installed a new motherboard, (the gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 and I also installed a new processor the FX-8320E) so when I started up selected the hardrive with windows installed it went into automatic repair. Once it finshed it still had issues so I reset the harddrives to clear out all the files. Now when I boot up and select that drive it cant detect windows. Did I just erase windows from my PC? I have done this before and it normally just factory resets windows. I'm currently using windows 10.

Windows is probably just having issues with your new motherboard. You should be reinstalling with a motherboard change.

Moved to Windows.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

I reset the harddrives to clear out all the files.

What exactly do you mean by that? Also, at that point why don't you just reinstall windows?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

25 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

So I installed a new motherboard, (the gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 and I also installed a new processor the FX-8320E) so when I started up selected the hardrive with windows installed it went into automatic repair. Once it finshed it still had issues so I reset the harddrives to clear out all the files. Now when I boot up and select that drive it cant detect windows. Did I just erase windows from my PC? I have done this before and it normally just factory resets windows. I'm currently using windows 10.

When you change chipsets this is going to happen.  Follow the guide in my signature.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Well you see I kinda dont have a reinstall disk. I took the hardrive from one PC put it into my new one. I got it to work with that motherboard and chipset and now I hae gone and changed it agian and now the BIOS detecs the drive but theres no operating system it can find. So I guess I need to go get a USB bootdrive for windows.....

So I've looked around online a bit more the only issue I think that makes any sense at this point is I damaged my MBR which means I'm going to need a new copy of windows,becuase I don't hvae a repair of install disk.

Oh wait, I might be able to just create it from this computer I'm on now, its downloading windows 10 to my USB drive now......I'll give an update when I'm done.

25 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Oh wait, I might be able to just create it from this computer I'm on now, its downloading windows 10 to my USB drive now......I'll give an update when I'm done.

Yeah, I was going to say, you should be able to make ISO file from the Windows 10 download tool. I would clean install from there.

My advice is to let Windows update fully before installing anything...I had some issues with my laptop (And my Windows Server 2016) where I installed something and it interfered with the updates...resulting in me clean installing both computers again...

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, I was going to say, you should be able to make ISO file from the Windows 10 download tool. I would clean install from there.

My advice is to let Windows update fully before installing anything...I had some issues with my laptop (And my Windows Server 2016) where I installed something and it interfered with the updates...resulting in me clean installing both computers again...

Windows can't update itself becuase my computer cant find windows xD

51 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Windows can't update itself becuase my computer cant find windows xD

In my case, Windows literally killed itself with updates...

Good luck though. Hmm, the other way is to download the ISO file (Say you're installing for another PC) and use Rufus (USB bootable drive tool) to make the flash drive for you.

Do note that depending on the motherboard setting, you might be in UEFI or legacy BIOS. Also be weary of GPT vs MBR. You may also need to disable secure boot in some cases.

Yeah I had to reinstall windows. The hardrive I had windows on is jacked up. Going to try and fix it later, it was my smaller hardrive so its not a big deal. I'm using my better 1tb one right now and I'm installing.....everything back onto it.....so many steam games...