New Router Hlep

alexc026
Go to solution Solved by jeffmeyer5295,
2 minutes ago, alexc026 said:

i was looking at this modem https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6190-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B016PE1X5K

im confused so you would connect the coax cable to it but does it need to be connected to my router using an ethernet cable or not or do i have to plug in the cat 5e cable from the wall

That modem will do great.

Coax from the wall goes into the modem, the modem has 1 ethernet port, that goes into the routers uplink port. then call FIOS and set up the modem with the mac id, then set up the router

EDIT:

This is how you set up a basic network in a normal broadband environment, I do not know what that extra CAT5e cable is for, you may want to talk to FIOS for more specific stuff. 

I just purchased this router from amazon https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Tri-Band-Performance-Beamforming-DIR-890L/dp/B00PVD81MK

I have verizon fios as my isp

my current router has a coax cable port that is connected to a coax cable going into the wall and a cat 5e cable

the router i just purchased does not have a coax cable port will i still be able to use the router or will i have to return it and use the default verizon router

Any help is greatly appreciated!

5 minutes ago, alexc026 said:

I just purchased this router from amazon https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Tri-Band-Performance-Beamforming-DIR-890L/dp/B00PVD81MK

I have verizon fios as my isp

my current router has a coax cable port that is connected to a coax cable going into the wall and a cat 5e cable

the router i just purchased does not have a coax cable port will i still be able to use the router or will i have to return it and use the default verizon router

Any help is greatly appreciated!

No router will have a Coax cable, If it does, it is a modem/router combo. You need a modem to go along with the router. I'm not sure what the exact hardware process is with FIOS because I did not know they used Coax cables, I thought it was wireless, if it is like normal broadband services all you need is a compatible Docsis 3.0 modem.. But I'm sure someone will be able to help with that a bit more accurately.

This is a modem that might work, a bit over kill for most people, but so is your router;

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6190-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B016PE1X5K/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016PE1X5K&pd_rd_r=7SYWFWFH548PQR5ETNQJ&pd_rd_w=HIxmP&pd_rd_wg=UXvp0&psc=1&refRID=7SYWFWFH548PQR5ETNQJ

Again though I don't know if they use traditional broadband.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

reportedly surfboard modems work well with fios such as surfboard SB6190

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

1 minute ago, 21rkosta said:

reportedly surfboard modems work well with fios such as surfboard SB6190

Lol I suppose my guess was right xD

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

how are you on FIOS if you're on coax?!?!

nevermind ...

the Verizon router can be switched to bridge mode - ask Verizon

or alternatively, the new router can (should be capable) be switched to AP mode - check manual

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

how are you FIOS if you're on coax?!?!

nevermind ...

the Verizon router can be switched to bridge mode - ask Verizon

or alternatively, the new router can (should be capable) be switched to AP mode - check manual

I thought the same thing, upon further research I guess FIOS has broadband in some areas.

5 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

No router will have a Coax cable, If it does, it is a modem/router combo. You need a modem to go along with the router. I'm not sure what the exact hardware process is with FIOS because I did not know they used Coax cables, I thought it was wireless, if it is like normal broadband services all you need is a compatible Docsis 3.0 modem.. But I'm sure someone will be able to help with that a bit more accurately.

This is a modem that might work, a bit over kill for most people, but so is your router;

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6190-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B016PE1X5K/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016PE1X5K&pd_rd_r=7SYWFWFH548PQR5ETNQJ&pd_rd_w=HIxmP&pd_rd_wg=UXvp0&psc=1&refRID=7SYWFWFH548PQR5ETNQJ

Again though I don't know if they use traditional broadband.

so if i dont purchase a modem the router wont work im assuming

i dont think the router is overkill because when i purchased it 2 weeks ago it was on sale for $200 and verizon was gonna charge me $150 for only an ac1750 gateway router

wait...... fios has places were they dont do broadband? @zMeul

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

3 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

FiOS stands for Fiber Optic Service - if Verizon decided to name their service FIOS and not deliver fiber optic infrastructure .........

1 minute ago, alexc026 said:

so if i dont purchase a modem the router wont work im assuming

i dont think the router is overkill because when i purchased it 2 weeks ago it was on sale for $200 and verizon was gonna charge me $150 for only an ac1750 gateway router

You Could try to run it in bridge mode like what @zMeul said, however I'd recommend you just get a modem to go with it, that one we recommended is particularly high end, and 32 lane, you can get cheaper ones that have 8-16 lanes, they sell them at best buy, you will just have to call fios with the mac to have them activate it. Which would be the case with any modem.. 

2 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

It was probably wrong of me to assume after all this time that FIOS was like At&t uverse with the wireless modem setup, I'm not really sure what I thought it was but I didn't think it was simply broadband xD

FiOS stands for Fiber Optic Service - if Verizon decided to name their service FIOS and not deliver fiber optic infrastructure .........

verizon is fiber optic but only in the street

from the street to your house is copper cable

they realy dont deliver fiber optic almost anywhere, even places where they do they admit its like 90% coaxial @zMeul

Good to know. I honestly have a lot of wrong assumptions about FIOS, prolly cause I've never lived anywhere it was supported, my mistake :)

3 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

they realy dont deliver fiber optic almost anywhere, even places where they do they admit its like 90% coaxial @zMeul

Verizon is like calling their service "limousine service" but when you pay for their service they send a taxi

6 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

You Could try to run it in bridge mode like what @zMeul said, however I'd recommend you just get a modem to go with it, that one we recommended is particularly high end, and 32 lane, you can get cheaper ones that have 8-16 lanes, they sell them at best buy, you will just have to call fios with the mac to have them activate it. Which would be the case with any modem.. 

It was probably wrong of me to assume after all this time that FIOS was like At&t uverse with the wireless modem setup, I'm not really sure what I thought it was but I didn't think it was simply broadband xD

do you think i should do what you said and buy a modem or should i return the router and pay $150 for this router modem combo from verizon? https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-quantum-gateway/

do you think i should do what you said and buy a modem or should i return the router and pay $150 for this router modem combo from verizon? https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-quantum-gateway/

I don't recommend combinations setups unless you absolutely have too, a separate modem and router will always perform better. And the ones they sell to you aren't always the best quality. 

If it were me, I'd just get the modem to go with the router, its a very easy setup and it should be a lot faster.

3 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

I don't recommend combinations setups unless you absolutely have too, a separate modem and router will always perform better. And the ones they sell to you aren't always the best quality. 

If it were me, I'd just get the modem to go with the router, its a very easy setup and it should be a lot faster.

i was looking at this modem https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6190-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B016PE1X5K

im confused so you would connect the coax cable to it but does it need to be connected to my router using an ethernet cable or not or do i have to plug in the cat 5e cable from the wall

Coax from the wall goes into the modem, the modem has 1 ethernet port, that goes into the routers uplink port. then call FIOS and set up the modem with the mac id, then set up the router

EDIT:

This is how you set up a basic network in a normal broadband environment, I do not know what that extra CAT5e cable is for, you may want to talk to FIOS for more specific stuff. 

1 minute ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Coax from the wall goes into the modem, the modem has 1 ethernet port, that goes into the routers uplink port. then call FIOS and set up the modem with the mac id, then set up the rout

thank you very much for the help

Just now, alexc026 said:

thank you very much for the help

No problem.