Bought the wrong RAM modules... Can I still use it?

CWSfan16

The only difference in the two different RAM kits are the one already in my computer is a 1600MHz and the one I just bought is a 2400Mhz.  I know, that was a stupid mistake.  Other than that, they are the same sticks of RAM... Same size, same manufacturer.  Can I still use it? If not, it is an easy trip back to Microcenter

What ram is it? They should just run together at the lowest of the two speeds just fine. That being said, it isn't guaranteed by the manufacturer when you use ram in different configurations.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes. The RAM speed will downclock to match the lower one which is 1600

I believe they will just run at the lowest clock speed? Don't quote me on that though. Probably best to just run back to Microcenter.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

It may work, but it's not guaranteed.  Asus recommends against even using 2 identical kits (to double your capacity) because of the claim that many sub-timings may be different.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Will just run at 1600, the lower speeds of the two

The RAM I have in my computer is 16GB EVGA DDR3 Super-Clocked @1600 and the RAM I bought was 16GB EVGA BBR3 Super-Super-Clocked at 2400

While it should work please verify that the timings, voltage, and latency are the same. You could run into problems if those don't match. The ram will run at the slower of the two speeds (in this case 1600 MHZ.) 

My PC has some RAM configuration that everybody recommends against.

1*8GB 1600mhz Crucial Technology something

1*4GB 1600mhz Kingston something.

It works just fine. And I don't know if CPU-Z is lying or not, but it claims they're working in Dual Channel. Sorry CPU-Z, I don't think it works that way.

Anyway,

Before that I had an even stranger setup, one 4gb at 1600mhz and one 2gb at 1333mhz, from different brands.

They worked fine at 1333mhz, even on this cheap crappy motherboard I have.

You can basically mix almost any RAM configurations nowadays, if they fit in the slot it'll most likely work. Might not work as well as two identical dimm's, but it'll work.