Suggest a gigabit Ethernet cable please.

Vash Baldeus

I have TP-Link Archer C7 (AC1750) router, it is located in my living room and I pulled a cable to my room from it, currently the cable is a 100mbit.

I am looking for a rather good gigabit Ethernet cable to replace it, any suggestions on which one should I get?

I do know how to make a proper RJ45 connector on the ends, just need a suggestion on the cable.

Basically need a link to a good seller who sells CAT5E cable on eBay/AmazonUK

Stampede

CPU: R9 5900X

COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

MOBO: X570 Aorus Pro (rev 1.2)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB

GPU: EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080

2 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

I have TP-Link Archer C7 (AC1750) router, it is located in my living room and I pulled a cable to my room from it, currently the cable is a 100mbit.

I am looking for a rather good gigabit Ethernet cable to replace it, any suggestions on which one should I get?

I do know how to make a proper RJ45 connector on the ends, just need a suggestion on the cable.

Any standard Cat 5e cable will work as long as it's not longer than 330 ft for gigabit operation.

Just now, W-L said:

Any standard Cat 5e cable will work as long as it's not longer than 330 ft for gigabit operation.

I need about 100 ft max. I just need a link to a good seller on eBay/AmazonUK.

Last time I purchased the cable was total shit.

Stampede

It's pretty hard to fuck up an ethernet cable because they're so commonplace.  I use Monoprice Cat 6 for gigabit runs and Cat 6a for my 10gbit server-desktop connection.  Here's a handy table of what works where:

http://www.howtogeek.com/70494/what-kind-of-ethernet-cat-5e6a-cable-should-i-use/

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

It's pretty hard to fuck up an ethernet cable because they're so commonplace.  I use Monoprice Cat 6 for gigabit runs and Cat 6a for my 10gbit server-desktop connection.  Here's a handy table of what works where:

http://www.howtogeek.com/70494/what-kind-of-ethernet-cat-5e6a-cable-should-i-use/

Thanks for the useful info, do you have a good supplier for Cat5E cable?(Preference with STP Cat5E)

Stampede

6 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

I need about 100 ft max. I just need a link to a good seller on eBay/AmazonUK.

Last time I purchased the cable was total shit.

Here this one is good if you just want bulk cable look for solid copper cable if it's a permanent cable run and not for CCA (copper clad aluminium)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Cat5e-Molded-Patch-Cable/dp/B00008VF84/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1482800807&sr=8-3&th=1

4 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Thanks for the useful info, do you have a good supplier for Cat5E cable?

Startech or Monoprice are both good for cables in my experience.  Cat6 and Cat5e are usually pretty much the same price so you can get either one.

Edit: make sure you get ones with a full boot around the connector.  Otherwise the plastic retention thing will just snag on everything and break off.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Any cat5e cable or better that's not CCA (copper clad aluminum) and ideally, stranded (not solid wire).  Stranded is more flexible, can be more easily routed along the walls.

Amazon has ready made patch cords under their own brand, but only up to 50 feet  (15 meters) : https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-CAT5e-Speed-Ethernet-Patch/dp/B001TH7GVO/

For 30 meters, these look like good choices :

KabelDirekt 30m Cat6 Ethernet Gigabit LAN network cable  https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirekt-Ethernet-Gigabit-downward-compatible-x/dp/B018M7ML4K/

Belkin Cat5e Snagless UTP Patch Cable, 30 m (this one in lots of colors) : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Cat5e-Snagless-Patch-Cable/dp/B000121WHC/

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

You are wrong, there's allot of difference. http://www.howtogeek.com/70494/what-kind-of-ethernet-cat-5e6a-cable-should-i-use/

Suggest you read up on that, I had my share of faulty cables due to lack of Shielding or what not. So I came here to ask the guys who might've dealt with this and know where to get good cable.

Stampede

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

They can generally go past their rated limits, although you do have a point about shielding

The reason I want a good cable with shielding is because my room has issues with wifi and reception in general. (Not thick walls or anything special, which is weird)

Stampede

2 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

The reason I want a good cable with shielding is because my room has issues with wifi and reception in general. (Not thick walls or anything special, which is weird)

That wouldn't affect a cable unless you have bundles of Ethernet cables beside each other in a cable run, sounds like you have something in your room or area that is at the same frequency as your wifi causing interference if the access point is in the same area.

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

That wouldn't affect a cable unless you have bundles of Ethernet cables beside each other in a cable run, sounds like you have something in your room or area that is at the same frequency as your wifi causing interference if the access point is in the same area.

Nope, when I placed a second AP the WiFi signal was fine. It's just has issue of receiving signals from outside, same thing happened back when I used to have cable, they had to put an amp to properly broadcast into my room. I just want to be safe than sorry is all. Not to mention there's no so big difference on price between shielded and un-shielded.

Stampede

1 minute ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Nope, when I placed a second AP the WiFi signal was fine. It's just has issue of receiving signals from outside, same thing happened back when I used to have cable, they had to put an amp to properly broadcast into my room. I just want to be safe than sorry is all.

If it's an extender or amplifier the signal is going to be crappy no matter what they always halve your speeds when extended so it's not always a reliable solution compared to having more AP's. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

If it's an extender or amplifier the signal is going to be crappy no matter what they always halve your speeds when extended so it's not always a reliable solution compared to having more AP's. 

I was speaking regarding Cable TV. Anyways a second AP was working great, I just want a reliable cable with no amps on the way and a shielded one.

Thanks for the help guys, I most likely going to get myself one from Monoprice.

Stampede