Is Windows 8.1 fixed yet?

#Banana

Hi folks,

I haven't been fallowing windows 8.1 closely latly because im in the midst of a small renovation. The reason its relevant is because I had to put my desktop with windows 8 away. Last bazillion times I tried to update form 8 to 8.1 I got blue screened,I was wondering if y you guys have gotten the update to work on your machines?

When I pull out my pc tonight to install some new hardware I figured id give 8.1 a try again. When I updated from 7 to 8 I unplugged all my non boot hdds.im going to try that for the first time(for 8.1) tonight and see if it works like it did last time.

~Sent from my phone thingamajig using Idontknowwhat

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

I suppose I should mention that I dont have any special setup for my other hard drives they are just for nonessential stuffs.

Hi folks, I haven't been fallowing windows 8.1 closely latly because im in the midst of a small renovation. The reason its relevant is because I had to put my desktop with windows 8 away. Last bazillion times I tried to update form 8 to 8.1 I got blue screened,I was wondering if y you guys have gotten the update to work on your machines?When I pull out my pc tonight to install some new hardware I figured id give 8.1 a try again. When I updated from 7 to 8 I unplugged all my non boot hdds.im going to try that for the first time(for 8.1) tonight and see if it works like it did last time.~Sent from my phone thingamajig using Idontknowwhat

I never had any issues with it. What are some

Make sure you have all the mandatory windows 8 updates before switching to 8.1

I never had any issues with it. What are some

driver isses, data loss isses, wont install issues. Just issues in general.

driver isses, data loss isses, wont install issues. Just issues in general.

Huh I haven't had any issues I must be lucky :D the only issue I had was a missing dll and I just downloaded that

Make sure you have all the mandatory windows 8 updates before switching to 8.1

I think im up to date. Where can I find out? The store, the same place where I could update to 8.1?

8.1 did break my laptop's Intel IGP driver, but intel fixed it though.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

8.1 did break my laptop's Intel IGP driver, but intel fixed it though.

Well Windows 8.1 reset my settings on my Nvidia Control Panel. Also removes ability to overclock my GPU Core Clock which I could when still using Windows 8..

works fine with mine

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

No problem on my computer, could not help my Dad with his, it did not install.

Requirement for successfully installing Windows 8.1.

-> Windows must be fully updated.

-> Your system has all the latest drivers for every hardware, including: SATA controller, motherboard, sound card, and any peripherals you have.

-> Have no hardware issues, like faulty RAM (obviously)

-> Windows 8 must have not been tweaked. If you tweaked Windows at some point, the software probably replaced system files, and that breaks the update process.

-> Your Anti-virus and any Security software must be uninstalled (except if it's Windows Defender built-in Windows 8) before doing the upgrade

-> System must have never had a virus or malware at any point in time. Viruses, once they infect a system file, it's over. Your anti-virus will remove the virus, but any system file changed, isn't fixed. It's done for. You need to re-install Windows.

Please note that Windows 8.1 is NOT a service pack.

For full details, and how the update works:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/The-Defrag-Show/Defrag-Windows-81-updates-Unity-3D-on-Surface-Pro-Time-Travel-Diag#time=03m30s

Windows 8.1 has the mouse lag problem but there is a fix. But had to do a reinstall of some of the applications like I did when I switched from Windows 7 to 8 in order for them to work. Mine just updated fine and I got no BSODs during the update.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The only way I could get the upgrade to actually work was to do a system reset. Do all the necessary updates and then do the upgrade It didn't like a but tonne of my drivers. It doesn't like Comodo Antivirus either apparently.

*** After the Reset I didn't install any drivers. Only the ones that windows detected and installed automatically. The second I installed CCC (OR AVECC), Wifi driver, Mobo driver, soundcard driver it would bluescreen during upgrade.

Why they didn't just release a 10MB patch to make the changes I don't know. There is NOooooo way in hell they needed to do a 3GB update that basically re-installs windows. They're just trying to make it seem like a bigger change than it actually is..

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

The only way I could get the upgrade to actually work was to do a system reset. Do all the necessary updates and then do the upgrade It didn't like a but tonne of my drivers. It doesn't like Comodo Antivirus either apparently.

*** After the Reset I didn't install any drivers. Only the ones that windows detected and installed automatically. The second I installed CCC (OR AVECC), Wifi driver, Mobo driver, soundcard driver it would bluescreen during upgrade.

Why they didn't just release a 10MB patch to make the changes I don't know. There is NOooooo way in hell they needed to do a 3GB update that basically re-installs windows. They're just trying to make it seem like a bigger change than it actually is..

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/The-Defrag-Show/Defrag-Windows-81-updates-Unity-3D-on-Surface-Pro-Time-Travel-Diag#time=03m30s

And as Microsoft said on the website. you need to remove your A/V and any security software BEFORE doing the Windows 8.1 upgrade, much like Service Pack, much like upgrading Windows.

I don't understand people obsession that they'll get a virus by doing a Windows upgrade.

And as Microsoft said on the website. you need to remove your A/V and any security software BEFORE doing the Windows 8.1 upgrade, much like Service Pack, much like upgrading Windows.

I don't understand people obsession that they'll get a virus by doing a Windows upgrade.

full remove or just disable?

Full remove.

Many A/V re-activate themselves upon reboot, and the majority of them does a quick critical system file virus scan at boot up, which can block system file to be updated, and break the update process.