Need a Hard Drive! Please Help.

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
4 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

The link is narrowed down to all 7200 rpm, 64mb cache, and at least 4.5 star reviews. It's more of trying to find the most silent/reliable one.

Stars don't mean anything, get a cheap drive and back it up.

I edit off of my 1tb Samsung 850 evo and need a 3tb hard drive to hold my footage. I believe I've narrowed it down to 10 hard drives drives and would really appreciate someone more experienced to pick one out and offer a reason why.

Link to the 10 drives: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#R=5,4&S=2500000,3200000&t=7200&i=25,22&sort=a7&page=1&X=0,16328

I built my own computer, done some research, and have a moderate amount of understanding on companies and quality. Thought I'd ask the experts though ;)

Thanks everyone, have a Merry Christmas!

Shouldn't 1 tb be enough for like 1000 4k videos and more? If anything a 3 tb hdd will slow things down and not help if you already have a 1 tb ssd

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

If you really want a hdd, get https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QFGj4D/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-hdwd130xzsta its the cheapest and 3 tb is 3 tb.  All have the same buffer cache and will be just as good as the next.

My current rig:

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

7 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Shouldn't 1 tb be enough for like 1000 4k videos and more? If anything a 3 tb hdd will slow things down and not help if you already have a 1 tb ssd

Oh you don't work with video then.  So for me a 5 min video project can be 100+ GB, and thats 1080p.

5 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

If you really want a hdd, get https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QFGj4D/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-hdwd130xzsta its the cheapest and 3 tb is 3 tb.  All have the same buffer cache and will be just as good as the next.

There is much more than buffer size and rpm in a drive, but id definatly go with the cheapest and back it up.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Oh you don't work with video then.  So for me a 5 min video project can be 100+ GB, and thats 1080p.

There is much more than buffer size and rpm in a drive, but id definatly go with the cheapest and back it up.

Sadly i do not work in the video production industry. Didn't know that videos could take up so much space.  You may want to go to a 4 tb hdd or 2 3 tb hdds if you have $150 laying around.

My current rig:

imo if you want faster hdds then get a 4 or 5 tb hdd with 128 cache but if you need sheer storage, get two 3 tb hdds

My current rig:

The SD card is 256gb and I fill it every month. I shoot in h265 which is nearly a 1:4 compression ratio thus, I shoot 1tb uncompressed every month. I really need a 3tb.

The link is narrowed down to all 7200 rpm, 64mb cache, and at least 4.5 star reviews. It's more of trying to find the most silent/reliable one.

The Hdd is JUST for storage, I move all my footage and film assets (muzzle flashes, explosions, 3d models, ect...) from the Hdd to the ssd to edit it.

Therortically all of them do the same thing. Was looking for insight from the community. @hconverse02 @Electronics Wizardy

1 minute ago, TriFlix Films said:

The SD card is 256gb and I fill it every month. I shoot in h264 which is nearly a 1:4 compression ration thus, I shoot 1tb uncompressed every month. I really need a 3tb.

The link is narrowed down to all 7200 rpm, 64mb cache, and at least 4.5 star reviews. It's more of trying to find the most reliable one.

The Hdd is JUST for storage, I move all my footage and film assets (muzzle flashes, explosions, 3d models, ect...) from the Hdd to the ssd to edit it.

Therortically all of them do the same thing. Was looking for insight from the community. @hconverse02 @Electronics Wizardy

get 2 3 tb hdds then.  Plenty of storage and if nothing is being done on them then it will work.  It's up to you if you want to buy biased on their reviews, but storage is storage and all of the hdds you provided have the same buffer cache so they are practically the same.  It might be worth it to spend an extra 10-20 bucks on the better reviews, but its just storage

My current rig:

4 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

Stars don't mean anything, get a cheap drive and back it up.