Best 13" Wacom?

ASAP_Gooby

Best 13" Wacom?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which Wacom do you guys think is better?

• Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 (Newest)
    • Wacom Cintiq 13HD (Cheapest)

Which Wacom do you guys think is better?

I'm able to get one of these for Christmas and I want to hear your guys' opinion on each; while the Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 is the latest and greatest, I would like to know if the ~200 dollar jump from a Wacom Cintiq 13HD is really worth it.

Anyone have experiences with either?

Ok, so I've never used the pro. But you gotta ask yourself- do you want touch controls? Really, with all of the rebindable buttons on the HD, you can bind rotate and zoom, you wont' get much out of the touch. 

Speaking of, those buttons are sold separately on the pro version, and it's a 99$ attachment. Apparently, it's shitty, which is a disappointment as I was super excited for the expresskey. I use a logitech g13 with the joystick replaced with a 360 stick for better grip. But believe me, you'll want buttons as putting a keyboard to the left means it needs to be behind the cintiq or in your lap, which doesn't allow you to hold the screen (though on my 15.6" tablet that's not too much of a problem, it grips well) 

Finally, the buttons are nice if you plan to use it like leaning back, in bed, or on the go. I like to get comfortable with my tablet, but unfortunately since i use the g13 it's a bit of a mess to do so since my tablet already has 3 plugs. 

Buttons may not be a deal breaker for you, but I thought I'd point it out. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Ok, so I've never used the pro. But you gotta ask yourself- do you want touch controls? Really, with all of the rebindable buttons on the HD, you can bind rotate and zoom, you wont' get much out of the touch. 

Speaking of, those buttons are sold separately on the pro version, and it's a 99$ attachment. Apparently, it's shitty, which is a disappointment as I was super excited for the expresskey. I use a logitech g13 with the joystick replaced with a 360 stick for better grip. But believe me, you'll want buttons as putting a keyboard to the left means it needs to be behind the cintiq or in your lap, which doesn't allow you to hold the screen (though on my 15.6" tablet that's not too much of a problem, it grips well) 

Finally, the buttons are nice if you plan to use it like leaning back, in bed, or on the go. I like to get comfortable with my tablet, but unfortunately since i use the g13 it's a bit of a mess to do so.  

Buttons may not be a deal breaker for you, but I thought I'd point it out. 

Touch is finicky on Cintiqs imo. I end up just turning it off when working with one that supports it. 

The removed buttons are a nice touch since I find that the usual buttons aren't enough and I want them out of the way. I currently disable them all on my 22HD and use the keyboard instead. That being said, I'm not sure if it's worth the premium. 

If the jump is just $100 and you were considering the controller, it may be worth it for the update since it does seem a bit nicer.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Touch is finicky on Cintiqs imo. I end up just turning it off when working with one that supports it. 

The removed buttons are a nice touch since I find that the usual buttons aren't enough and I want them out of the way. I currently disable them all on my 22HD and use the keyboard instead. That being said, I'm not sure if it's worth the premium. 

If the jump is just $100 and you were considering the controller, it may be worth it for the update since it does seem a bit nicer.

I must ask are you left handed or do they get in the way anyway with your right hand?

Also, what do you think about the size? I have a 15.6 inch tablet, and I'm considering ditching for a full refund and getting a 13HD but I'm not sure I"d do well with much smaller. I love the versatility of the size, but I feel like the PS ui would not work well any smaller, and my hand would get in the way too much. 

On my tablet, it got a ton of reviews saying the IPS screen had good colors. It doesn't, it's just over saturated. It's a bottom barrel IPS tv screen and controller modified to be a  tablet. It flickers on greys BUT it's perfectly wrong in exact same way from every angle, so hey IPS. The tablet part is really nice and so far I've been happy with my sketches, but I can't do any goo color work without suing it as a dumb tablet, so for 399 I'm really conflicted about keeping it. I'm enjoying it, but it's kind of not as advertised, like pretty much all off brand pen displays.  

As far as cintiqs go I've only used 22HD and 27QHD 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I must ask are you left handed or do they get in the way anyway with your right hand?

Also, what do you think about the size? I have a 15.6 inch tablet, and I'm considering ditching for a full refund and getting a 13HD but I'm not sure I"d do well with much smaller. I love the versatility of the size, but I feel like the PS ui would not work well any smaller, and my hand would get in the way too much. 

On my tablet, it got a ton of reviews saying the IPS screen had good colors. It doesn't, it's just over saturated. It's a bottom barrel IPS tv screen and controller modified to be a  tablet. It flickers on greys BUT it's perfectly wrong in exact same way from every angle, so hey IPS. The tablet part is really nice and so far I've been happy with my sketches, but I can't do any goo color work without suing it as a dumb tablet, so for 399 I'm really conflicted about keeping it. 

I'm right handed. I'm not sure if you're referring to the touch or buttons but I disable all my buttons and the touch screen just seems to get in the way.

I find that size is down to preference and I greatly prefer a larger display to work with.

If you're doing color work, it's helpful to have the image duplicated on another display to compare.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm right handed. I'm not sure if you're referring to the touch or buttons but I disable all my buttons and the touch screen just seems to get in the way.

I find that size is down to preference and I greatly prefer a larger display to work with.

If you're doing color work, it's helpful to have the image duplicated on another display to compare.

I forgot only the 13HD has touch buttons one one side not both.

What's annoying is it freaks out when too much is going on, not just banding, it changes. It's literally a TV panel, I'm got pictures from a teardown (no warranty seal lol) Ill add those in a minute. 

muh specs 

All parts black

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The main thing I'm looking at is the "Pro Pen 2" which is supposedly 4x more accurate and pressure sensitive. As for the touchscreen, I think I would prefer it because I've used touchscreen notebooks before and I like how I can use it as a smartphone in a way. I also have a keyboard with a ton of macro keys as well as a mouse with 12 keys.

And another question, are you able to use this tablet as another monitor? Whenever I see pictures of these tablets it shows them off or on a program (like photoshop)

2 minutes ago, ASAP_Gooby said:

The main thing I'm looking at is the "Pro Pen 2" which is supposedly 4x more accurate and pressure sensitive. As for the touchscreen, I think I would prefer it because I've used touchscreen notebooks before and I like how I can use it as a smartphone in a way. I also have a keyboard with a ton of macro keys as well as a mouse with 12 keys.

And another question, are you able to use this tablet as another monitor? Whenever I see pictures of these tablets it shows them off or on a program (like photoshop)

The cord splits into HDMI, so yes you can. 

I personalty never felt like I wasn't getting accurate enough readings for the 22HD, and I'm not sure how that translates to the 13 but I feel like...diminishing returns? Shit my Chinese tablet feels pretty accurate honestly. Not sure, I feel like I'd have to side by side that, I'd look at what artists say. 

muh specs 

All parts black

so here's my tablet, the ugee 1560. Lots of glowing reviews like a lot of off brad tablets, including the screen. Not a ton of info avaible on this smaller one I have at the time I bought it a couple of weeks ago in the form of videos and whatnot, and the few that were there were free samples. 

http://imgur.com/a/2odTF

Note the electrical tape holding the panel together- if they used a real laptop panel, they actually wouldn't have to rip it apart as there's no metal layer interfering with the digitizer. I like the way it draws, but damn the screen is kinda shit on colors, I've seen 4:2:2 even work better than this. And all these knockoffs are made with the same parts. It's back is a ground down tv panel. It's got 75mm vesa mounts though, and the stand kicks ass, I wish wacom would do vesa mounts

This is why I'm conflicted about keeping mine and considering a wacom 13HD. 

muh specs 

All parts black

10 minutes ago, ASAP_Gooby said:

I haven't gotten to compare the two pens but I'd take an upgrade over none. I love touchscreen notebooks as well but it's another thing when you're trying to draw on the screen. I find that the tablet is pretty small and not as useful as an auxiliary display compared to a larger one. It's still usable though and feels like a novelty due to its size.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

I haven't gotten to compare the two pens but I'd take an upgrade over none. I love touchscreen notebooks as well but it's another thing when you're trying to draw on the screen. I find that the tablet is pretty small and not as useful as an auxiliary display compared to a larger one. It's still usable though and feels like a novelty due to its size.

is this the 13hd or the 22hd? 

muh specs 

All parts black

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

is this the 13hd or the 22hd? 

I was referring to the 13HD which I used before moving to a 22HD.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I was referring to the 13HD which I used before moving to a 22HD.

ah so you've had both and ditched the 13. Did you like the 13? I mean would you recommend going to either a 13hd or touch now for me (see album, I can get money back for a little while) or keep using my current tablet and get a 22hd in future despite twice the cost? 

muh specs 

All parts black

15 minutes ago, ASAP_Gooby said:

I do have a couple of 12 key mice myself, but the more i have to move my pen hand to a mouse, the more pissed I get. And as long as you can use the keyboard comfortably, I mean yea. 

There's also the resale aspect I guess. The 13 pro Is newer and will hold its value longer. 

muh specs 

All parts black

ah so you've had both and ditched the 13. Did you like the 13? I mean would you recommend going to either a 13hd or touch now for me (see album) or keep using my current tablet and get a 22hd in future despite twice the cost? 

I'd say skip the touch feature unless you've used it and find it useful. 

I find that most people enjoy a larger Cintiq for the drawing surface, working space, and the ability to get up close and personal by leaning on it. 

Try out a larger Cintiq if you can to see if you like it. 

If I were more constrained by budget, I'd get a used 21UX off of eBay or Craigslist as opposed to the 13HD for the size. 

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I find that most people enjoy a larger Cintiq for the drawing surface, working space, and the ability to get up close and personal by leaning on it. 

If I were more constrained by budget, I'd get a used 21UX off of eBay or Craigslist as opposed to the 13HD for the size. 

by touch I meant pro. I don't care about touch,. 

Thanks for the old wacom suggestion, I'll look into that. I could return my current tablet and buy a 13hd now and feel good about it. The 22Hd I've used and love, but I need something for practice, I don't really think I'm good enough to justify that large of a cost yet. In that case I'd keep my chinese tablet and practice on it, after all it draws fine. (Pen display is crucial to me to be 1:1, I'd can only improve on paper or pen display, not regular tablet). I do need to use it for regular photoshop stuff as well, but I have good  2 1440p screens I can mirror for that. I have to ask myself, never used a 13 or know anyone with one, if it is worth it, or if I should just keep my 15.6 inch ugee tablet and get myself a 22hd when I feel I deserve to spend that much on it. I draw daily, but the reality is despite being a low quality hunk of plastic, there's nothing about the ugee that doesn't allow me to practice just fine. 

muh specs 

All parts black

by touch I meant pro. I don't care about touch,. 

Thanks for the old wacom suggestion, I'll look into that. I could return my current tablet and but a 13hd now and feel good about it. The 22Hd I've used and love, but I need something for practice, I don't really think I'm good enough to justify that large of a cost yet. In that case I'd keep my chinese tablet and practice on it, after all it draws fine. (Oen display is crucial to me to be 1:1). I do need to use it for regular photoshop stuff as well, but I have good  2 1440p screens I can mirror for that. I have to ask myself, never used a 13 or know anyone with one, if it is worth it, or if I should just keep my 15.6 inch ugee tablet. I draw daily, but the reality is despite being a low quality hunk of plastic, there's nothing about the ugee that doesn't allow me to practice just fine. 

I'm guessing that size was one of the big factors that made using the 22HD so enjoyable. The 21UX isn't that much different when it comes to user experience. 

If you draw with your arm like I do, it's hard to go wrong with either of the larger tablets. If you like the size and can afford it, go with the Pro. 

10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm guessing that size was one of the big factors that made using the 22HD so enjoyable. The 21UX isn't that much different when it comes to user experience. 

If you draw with your arm like I do, it's hard to go wrong with either of the larger tablets. If you like the size and can afford it, go with the Pro. 

so here's where I'm at-

If I go for the 22Hd, that means I'm keeping the Ugee one until I get it despite basically being a scam. I feel like I should get my money back but it's better than nothing. 

If I return the UGEE now and get a 13HD, it is a bit small and I might not like it in the long run, though I'd feel like my money were better spent. 

The only other option is to return the ugee now and get the 21UX, I like the size but reviews seem iffy, I've never used one. But damn it's hard to argue with that price and size. Even a decent TN screen I would be happy with , frankly. In this case if I wanted an upgrade later I would not feel bad about ditching it. Problem is I can't find them with stand and pen, cords. 

muh specs 

All parts black

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

I've just realized, the Pro doesn't seem to even be out yet... 

10 minutes ago, ASAP_Gooby said:

I've just realized, the Pro doesn't seem to even be out yet... 

that explains the lack of reviews. 

muh specs 

All parts black

On 12/25/2016 at 4:37 PM, Syntaxvgm said:

that explains the lack of reviews. 

They seem to have it for sale on their website's store, the 13 inch not 16, so I'm going to buy the Pro today because it's the newest one and I don't want to feel like I'm missing out. Once I get some practice and have a feel for the product I'll come back with my findings and post them here :)

On 12/25/2016 at 0:12 PM, Syntaxvgm said:

so here's where I'm at-

If I go for the 22Hd, that means I'm keeping the Ugee one until I get it despite basically being a scam. I feel like I should get my money back but it's better than nothing. 

If I return the UGEE now and get a 13HD, it is a bit small and I might not like it in the long run, though I'd feel like my money were better spent. 

The only other option is to return the ugee now and get the 21UX, I like the size but reviews seem iffy, I've never used one. But damn it's hard to argue with that price and size. Even a decent TN screen I would be happy with , frankly. In this case if I wanted an upgrade later I would not feel bad about ditching it. Problem is I can't find them with stand and pen, cords. 

Why would it mean keeping the Ugee if you go for the 22HD?

@WoodenMarker Evey time I try to enter in information into Wacom's Billing and Shipping fields it keeps telling me "_________ field exceeds maximum length of undefined" and it doesn't let me proceed with the order

12 minutes ago, ASAP_Gooby said:

@WoodenMarker Evey time I try to enter in information into Wacom's Billing and Shipping fields it keeps telling me "_________ field exceeds maximum length of undefined" and it doesn't let me proceed with the order

Try contacting customer support.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why would it mean keeping the Ugee if you go for the 22HD?

I wouldn't get the 22hd for a while and I need something to draw on. 

muh specs 

All parts black