1/2 - 2 second stutters/freezes (Gaming only)

Recently (not sure precisely when it started) ive been having an issue where all games, from non-demanding titles like Diablo to games like BF1 or GTA V, i've been experiencing stuttering and freezing. Its not like the frames dip slightly, its an actual the game crawls to a halt and springs right back to normal. Nothing crashes, and the only side effect so far is getting killed. My initial thoughts are graphics drivers, which is why i'm currently DDU'ing the old ones and reinstalling. My other thoughts are: 

- Possible bad SSD (all games are stored on an SSD, Windows on another).

= What programs can I use to test an SSD? I dont think SMART would tell me what i need to know. 

- Possible issue hitting RAM limit, causing pagefile to be utilzed 

= I'm not getting any warnings about low memory, but im not sure if there would be any if its able to dump to page file. 

= Plan on getting another 8 or 16 gigs of ram shortly just to get current. 

- Underclocking GPU

= This would be related to drivers, but Afterburner could be a culprit non the less. 

Are there any other possible causes for something like this? My specs are in my profile if you need to know what my build is. 

Thanks. 

I am whatever I am. 

5 minutes ago, N3rot0xin said:

Recently (not sure precisely when it started) ive been having an issue where all games, from non-demanding titles like Diablo to games like BF1 or GTA V, i've been experiencing stuttering and freezing. Its not like the frames dip slightly, its an actual the game crawls to a halt and springs right back to normal. Nothing crashes, and the only side effect so far is getting killed. My initial thoughts are graphics drivers, which is why i'm currently DDU'ing the old ones and reinstalling. My other thoughts are: 

- Possible bad SSD (all games are stored on an SSD, Windows on another).

= What programs can I use to test an SSD? I dont think SMART would tell me what i need to know. 

- Possible issue hitting RAM limit, causing pagefile to be utilzed 

= I'm not getting any warnings about low memory, but im not sure if there would be any if its able to dump to page file. 

= Plan on getting another 8 or 16 gigs of ram shortly just to get current. 

- Underclocking GPU

= This would be related to drivers, but Afterburner could be a culprit non the less. 

Are there any other possible causes for something like this? My specs are in my profile if you need to know what my build is. 

Thanks. 

For me it was the drivers, a fresh install of amd crimson and required drivers seemed to do it. I'd try reinstalling the drivers first  then closing all external, non-essential programs 

9 minutes ago, tahmidkhan123 said:

For me it was the drivers, a fresh install of amd crimson and required drivers seemed to do it. I'd try reinstalling the drivers first  then closing all external, non-essential programs 

Yes that was my thought as well. I just did a fresh install of the latest drivers, seeing if that helps. 

I am whatever I am.