Debating Ifixit Toolkit

Yeshy

Hey guys,

I have recently been debating purchasing a new toolkit to replace my old one. It has gotten to the point where I think its time for an upgrade and with Christmas being near it could be my way of spoiling myself. The bits on my current one have some damage to them and I have lost some of the parts. Was wondering what your opinions are on the Ifixit Pro Tech Toolkit. I've been watching Linustechtips for years now and they seem to really like theirs so was wondering how it stacks up against the other options out there. The only downside that I can see right now is that I am a Canadian resident so it might be a little more pricey than what I'm used to and might take a bit to receive it.

Any advice or suggestions on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas to you all as well :)

well mine already paid for itself by being used to replace the headphone jack in my tablet so I didn't have to buy a new tablet, I like the screw driver, its got some good weight to it.

Are you the type that likes to get his (or her) own hands dirty?

Do you enjoy performing surgery on devices for the hope of renewing them?

Do you use your current tool kits often?

If you've answered "YES" to two of these I'd say go for it.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

the old rule of thumb was buy german, USA, or japanese tools for quality but thats kind of been thrown out the window in the last 10 years with the rise of china. im still waiting for my ifixit to arrive...

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

8 minutes ago, Yeshy said:

Hey guys,

I have recently been debating purchasing a new toolkit to replace my old one. It has gotten to the point where I think its time for an upgrade and with Christmas being near it could be my way of spoiling myself. The bits on my current one have some damage to them and I have lost some of the parts. Was wondering what your opinions are on the Ifixit Pro Tech Toolkit. I've been watching Linustechtips for years now and they seem to really like theirs so was wondering how it stacks up against the other options out there. The only downside that I can see right now is that I am a Canadian resident so it might be a little more pricey than what I'm used to and might take a bit to receive it.

Any advice or suggestions on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas to you all as well :)

I think the pro tech toolkit is a fantastic option for a tech repair toolkit.

I've got the 64-bit driver kit from the pro tech toolkit and absolutely love it, it's very high quality, definitely would recommend it, and somewhat wish I had gone with the entire pro tech toolkit not just the driver kit.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

somewhat wish I had gone with the entire pro tech toolkit not just the driver kit.

Give them a call and see if they can send you a Pro for a reasonable cost.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

38 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

the old rule of thumb was buy german, USA, or japanese tools for quality but thats kind of been thrown out the window in the last 10 years with the rise of china. im still waiting for my ifixit to arrive...

Is ifixit from China?

Is your ifixit kit late?

47 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is ifixit from China?

Is your ifixit kit late?

i ordered 2 week ago with the cheapest shipping option. im going to wait till after xmas before i complain. this is the time of year that things get lost & delayed

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i ordered 2 week ago with the cheapest shipping option. im going to wait till after xmas before i complain. this is the time of year that things get lost & delayed

I try to avoid the super cheap "economy" shipping on things because it often can take long that paying at least the next speed faster is worth it.  Unless it's something thst shipping would be super expensive for in which case I'd be more likely to stick with the cheaper option.  

I hope it shows up soon and that you have a merry Christmas if you celebrate it.  Fingers crossed I survive it myself.  Introvert + annoying forced socializing with relatives that don't really give a damn about me = please let me go home.  ?

I've had one for more than a year and find it quite useful for more than just electronics.

Car, toys, odd things around the house, I've found many uses for the various bits and bobbles in the kits.

The newer kits seem to have addressed my main issue with the set I have and that is the screwdriver handle was too thin to get a good grip on.

I've been thinking about ordering a new screwdriver handle from them as they sell the newer design handle individually.

i've looked at the toolkit myself, and caome to this conclusion:

- if you want a kit with all the special bits for naughty device manufacturers (tri-wing bit, etc.), that's the kit to get

- if you'll only be taking apart devices with normal philips, and maybe the occasional torx bit, your money is probably best spent elsewhere.

the ifixit kits are great if you need a collection of "excentric" tools, and pretty much expect to need most of it.

if you'll never need any of the "naughty" bits, there's better things to spend the money on.

2 hours ago, Snadzies said:

The newer kits seem to have addressed my main issue with the set I have and that is the screwdriver handle was too thin to get a good grip on.

I've been thinking about ordering a new screwdriver handle from them as they sell the newer design handle individually.

It's absolutely worth it. The driver handle in the new kit is so much better.

I'd suggest that you get the whole 64-bit driver kit, though, assuming the price isn't much of an issue. The new case is also a monumental improvement, it makes the 54-bit kit's case look like disposable retail packaging.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

11 hours ago, TheKDub said:

I think the pro tech toolkit is a fantastic option for a tech repair toolkit.

I've got the 64-bit driver kit from the pro tech toolkit and absolutely love it, it's very high quality, definitely would recommend it, and somewhat wish I had gone with the entire pro tech toolkit not just the driver kit.

Same here, I got the driver kit and really love it. I wish I would of just paid the extra for the full pro tech toolkit because now I want it but can't really justify the full price as I have the driver kit already. 

1 hour ago, ZachBrownfield said:

Same here, I got the driver kit and really love it. I wish I would of just paid the extra for the full pro tech toolkit because now I want it but can't really justify the full price as I have the driver kit already. 

I sent them an email, but since it's both the weekend and tomorrow is Christmas, I doubt I'll get a response until around Tuesday.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

29 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

I sent them an email, but since it's both the weekend and tomorrow is Christmas, I doubt I'll get a response until around Tuesday.

I've had mine for quite some time now, so I'll probably just wait to buy until I need to repair one of my devices. 

1 minute ago, ZachBrownfield said:

I've had mine for quite some time now, so I'll probably just wait to buy until I need to repair one of my devices. 

It'd be pretty cool if they could sell the rest of the pro tech toolkit without the driver kit to us, and it'd make sense doing so if they're going to sell the driver kit alone.

35 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Let us know how it goes since I'd love to have two complete sets for the home and hospital.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

It'd be pretty cool if they could sell the rest of the pro tech toolkit without the driver kit to us, and it'd make sense doing so if they're going to sell the driver kit alone.

Yeah, let me know if they offer it as a separate option. 

Do you actually plan on using all the tools in the toolkit? I'd you're only after the screwdriver (which most people are) then you will most likely be better off with a ratchet screwdriver and a bunch of bits. 

On 12/24/2016 at 0:43 PM, ARikozuM said:

Let us know how it goes since I'd love to have two complete sets for the home and hospital.

On 12/24/2016 at 1:01 PM, ZachBrownfield said:

Yeah, let me know if they offer it as a separate option. 

I can't find the e-mail to get the exact wording, but they said something along the lines of the driver kit in the pro tech toolkit is different from the driver kit that is sold separately (There's more magnets in the one with the pro tech toolkit to hold it to the tool wrap), so they don't sell the pro tech toolkit without the driver kit.

They did suggest that I could buy the pro tech toolkit, swap the used bits over to the pro tech toolkit from my driver kit, and swap the same new bits over to the old driver kit, then try returning it to amazon, that way I'd end up with the entire pro tech tookit, and Amazon would get a fresh driver kit back. (Swapping the driver kits out entirely would not work because of what I explained in my above statement, though swapping bits around would.)

4 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

I can't find the e-mail to get the exact wording, but they said something along the lines of the driver kit in the pro tech toolkit is different from the driver kit that is sold separately (There's more magnets in the one with the pro tech toolkit to hold it to the tool wrap), so they don't sell the pro tech toolkit without the driver kit.

They did suggest that I could buy the pro tech toolkit, swap the used bits over to the pro tech toolkit from my driver kit, and swap the same new bits over to the old driver kit, then try returning it to amazon, that way I'd end up with the entire pro tech tookit, and Amazon would get a fresh driver kit back. (Swapping the driver kits out entirely would not work because of what I explained in my above statement, though swapping bits around would.)

Well thanks for the info.