Facebook Messenger not updating?

Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
57 minutes ago, WiiMAN said:

Hi. My Messenger for iOS is up to date, and yet for some reason my layout hasn't changed to the new one on my iPhone 7 Plus. Yet my wife on iPhone 6 Plus actually has it. And what's crazier, she even signed in to her account on my app, and the layout changed to the new one! And when I switched back to mine, it switches back! What gives?

Facebook pushes out updates based on your account. They roll out features in "waves" and it appears as though your wife has the update on her account, but you do not. You'll have to wait, or contact someone at Facebook to see if they'll add you to the update wave. This is how updates go these days - the app itself gets updates too, but when you log in, it pulls the interface down from Facebook's servers based on flags set on your individual account.

It's why some people have extra features on iOS that Android users do not, and also why I can cause Android users's Messenger app to crash if I create an event by tapping on blue highlighted text in a group conversation to set an event. :D (for example, if someone sends a message in a group chat that says "everyone come to the pub on friday at 9:30pm" it will highlight the date and time on iOS devices. if you then tap that date and time, you can set a group chat event reminder, which used to cause Android Messenger app to "stop working" and crash. FOREVER. until someone on iOS removed the reminder.)

IDK if it works anymore, but this is the very reason Apps are going to shit in 2016 and beyond - segmentation of users based on devices, accounts, and even feature sets. It really bothers me because I'd like to be able to get the most out of these apps, but apparently developers seem bent on not giving any poops about properly unifying the experience across all devices. This is why I LOVED BlackBerry's Priv phone, because they had the BB Hub. RIP RIM. :( 

Hi. My Messenger for iOS is up to date, and yet for some reason my layout hasn't changed to the new one on my iPhone 7 Plus. Yet my wife on iPhone 6 Plus actually has it. And what's crazier, she even signed in to her account on my app, and the layout changed to the new one! And when I switched back to mine, it switches back! What gives?

57 minutes ago, WiiMAN said:

Facebook pushes out updates based on your account. They roll out features in "waves" and it appears as though your wife has the update on her account, but you do not. You'll have to wait, or contact someone at Facebook to see if they'll add you to the update wave. This is how updates go these days - the app itself gets updates too, but when you log in, it pulls the interface down from Facebook's servers based on flags set on your individual account.

It's why some people have extra features on iOS that Android users do not, and also why I can cause Android users's Messenger app to crash if I create an event by tapping on blue highlighted text in a group conversation to set an event. :D (for example, if someone sends a message in a group chat that says "everyone come to the pub on friday at 9:30pm" it will highlight the date and time on iOS devices. if you then tap that date and time, you can set a group chat event reminder, which used to cause Android Messenger app to "stop working" and crash. FOREVER. until someone on iOS removed the reminder.)

IDK if it works anymore, but this is the very reason Apps are going to shit in 2016 and beyond - segmentation of users based on devices, accounts, and even feature sets. It really bothers me because I'd like to be able to get the most out of these apps, but apparently developers seem bent on not giving any poops about properly unifying the experience across all devices. This is why I LOVED BlackBerry's Priv phone, because they had the BB Hub. RIP RIM. :( 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 minutes ago, kirashi said:

You and Satan must get along well ?

Also that's lame. And i assume there's no way to force it to change?

1 minute ago, WiiMAN said:

You and Satan must get along well ?

Also that's lame. And i assume there's no way to force it to change?

I am Satan. Sometimes. Usually on Tuesdays. But never on Fridays or Saturdays; the ladies don't seem to like Satan.

Unless you have an in with someone who works for Facebook, there really isn't a way to force change it yourself. :( 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

I am Satan. Sometimes. Usually on Tuesdays. But never on Fridays or Saturdays; the ladies don't seem to like Satan.

Unless you have an in with someone who works for Facebook, there really isn't a way to force change it yourself. :( 

Waaah... alright. I'll just stare at her Messenger with jealousy. Thank you for the info