In-Ear Alternative for Bose Quiet Comfort 35 (QC35)? Help Needed!

Alright guys, so I bit the bullet and dropped the $350 on the Bose QC35 after watching Linus' review "Bose QC35 vs Sennheiser PXC550". I am fully aware of the audio quality limitations of the QC35, however, I bought them for the active noise cancellation and form-factor, especially while traveling since I tend to travel a lot on airplanes (they work flawlessly in that regard).

However, I have some concerns and questions.

1) How the heck do you change the battery in these things?! Is it completely sealed in and simply cannot be swapped at all? It used to be removable on the QC25's ... I just feel like a $350 headphone should last a bit longer than the typical 2 year battery life-span in today's electronics. A pretty big let-down IMO.

2) Wearing the QC35 with glasses reduces the active noise cancellation drastically ... since the seal between the cups and your head is now broken with the glasses' frame going through. What is your solution to this? Are there specific glasses frames that work better? Do they sell custom replacement cups out there that support or work better with glasses? It's kind of a deal breaker sadly.

3) I feel that the non-removable battery alone would warrant me to return them, I really do love the ANC when it works (without glasses). It's rather amazing and I've never heard anything like it. So my final question is, any other in-ear recommendation that can cancel noise just as good or better? I'm open to all suggestions and all prices.

It saddens me to have to return them, the isolation is fantastic!

UPDATE (1/26/17):

I ended up just returning the Bose QC35, disappointing sound quality when compared to the competition and what really killed it for me was the fact that it doesn't function while being charged... For a $350 headphones I'd expect it to at least do that. But nope, the second it's plugged in for charging, it turns off completely and disconnects Bluetooth until charging is done. So forget charging it from a battery bank while using it on an airplane...

I'm going to give the Sony MDR-1000X a shot, I've read great reviews on them, I hope Linus reviews them soon too! But side by side at the store (compared to the QC35) they pretty much DESTROYED the Bose with sound quality, and at first glance, dare I say that they have better noise cancellation?! I'll find out more once I buy them!

Edited by Darkangel86
Update on 1/26/17

7 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

In ears really can't compare to active noise cancellation...

Really? That's what i was afraid of. I read mixed reviews online. Some folks are saying that IEM's tend to provide better isolation. I'd like some comparisons if possible or someone who compared both scenarios.

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Better than regular closed backs, sure. But not even close to semi-decent actively noise cancelling headphones. 

Hmmm. What about the battery in the QC35? Can it be replaced at all? I couldn't find an online reference or manual that shows disassembly or parts-list.

I take a lot of flights for work. At the moment, I'm using in-ears for portability and sound isolation. Once, you turn on your movie or music, you won't be any sound leaking in. You can find better fitting foam tips for a better seal to get better isolation. I haven't found the need to use active noise cancelling gear because what I have does the job already.

1 minute ago, NewKID said:

I take a lot of flights for work. At the moment, I'm using in-ears for portability and sound isolation. Once, you turn on your movie or music, you won't be any sound leaking in. You can find better fitting foam tips for a better seal to get better isolation. I haven't found the need to use active noise cancelling gear because what I have does the job already.

Custom cups for the QC35 you mean? I am aware of the custom in-ear ones. Link or website?

@NewKID Yes I see, but it's not for over the ear though just in ear.

Yeah I really like the active noise cancellation it works rather well.

Are you still looking for in-ear suggestions?

2 minutes ago, NewKID said:

Are you still looking for in-ear suggestions?

I am yes, if they can cancel noise the same or better than the QC35's.

7 minutes ago, Darkangel86 said:

I am yes, if they can cancel noise the same or better than the QC35's.

I always find that having in-ears is always a safer choice, since some people can get nauseous from the ANC.  IEMs provide more isolation especially if you have glasses.

I still wouldn't recommend foam eartips, they change the sound in ways that I don't like, they're also ridiculously expensive for how much you have to replace them.  Spin-Fits or JVC Spiral Dots can solve comfort issues if you're having any and while they are still expensive, silicon can last a very long time.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

2 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

IEMs provide more isolation especially if you have glasses.

Can you please elaborate? Any specific IEM that would provide better isolation than the QC35 in your opinion?

3 minutes ago, Darkangel86 said:

Can you please elaborate? Any specific IEM that would provide better isolation than the QC35 in your opinion?

I mean you said it yourself.  Glasses prevent a full seal.  I'd say the best isolating IEM I know of is the Etymotic ER4, just because they go really deep in the ear.  However, any BA driver IEM will isolate well as long it does not have a bass port.  

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Thanks! I will look into them and try them out! I appreciate your time.