Automatic offline backup solutions

Hi,

I have an external HD which I use to backup my office work desktop. I use the syncbackfree software with the HD. It helps finding differences and only mirroring and deleting on the target (external) HD. That external HD failed and I managed to somehow backup the entire files to another HD in the same PC. I have called my IT dept, and it seems that I can't run a NAS from my office and access it while outside. I have also seen the LLT NAS video, and I think the solution is great, though will not work. The data could not be placed in some cloud storage like dropbox as DICOM files are huge and ethically is another issue.

I was thinking of just making backups of with a new 4 TB internal HD and using syncback Pro which (both I need to purchase). My main HD is a 1TB SSD, and I have 1 TB HDD (which will need replacing soon) and another 400 GB HDD (which currently serves for backup). I am running Win 10 Enterprise eidition. Is there an alternative to this kind of setup which I am unaware of? What I want is an offline Dropbox like solution that backup my drive seamlessly ala-offline dropbox? 

Thank you.

9 hours ago, mystvean said:

I can't run a NAS from my office and access it while outside

Oh, i bet you can. Only question is how... Reverse VPN comes to mind ;)

But it would be irresponsible to suggest anything without understanding your situation and requirements first. So forget the VPN thing for a moment.

First Thing: You seem to work at a company with an IT Department. So there should be some kind of infrastructure in place and this usually includes a storage setup. In most cases it's best to use this system, just because it's there and they want you to.

Having worked in such enviroments, I know, that communication is a problem. Many times users just make it harder for themself and the IT department, because they don't know enough about the company systems.

So please describe your situation a little more. What do you want to backup, how do you want to access it and what kind of infrastructure is already in place? Are you responsible for your own PC and data or is it a PC you got preconfigured from your IT department?

IMO: The best way to go would be to talk to your IT guys and describe, what you want to do and why.

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

On 12/20/2016 at 8:56 PM, xc3ll said:

So please describe your situation a little more. What do you want to backup, how do you want to access it and what kind of infrastructure is already in place? Are you responsible for your own PC and data or is it a PC you got preconfigured from your IT department?

IMO: The best way to go would be to talk to your IT guys and describe, what you want to do and why.

Thanks for the reply.

I am guessing they have a system-though not sure if anyone uses it since I ask at my department level, and he does not know. He told me to ask higher up in the IT dept. Each user in my institution is responsible for their own pc hardware. Almost everyone gets the same dell hardware configuration, and in rare cases like me - end up building the entire thing by myself.

I will try my IT dept, if that does not work, then I should just stick to offline storage?