Help a noob pick a gpu...

Grgov

Hello folks, i was thinking of upgrading my desktop pc for christmas and since i found an rx480 on discount in a store near me i have a couple of questions for you.

The reason i picked an rx480 is because i want a gpu that will last me at least 3 years of gaming on medium-high settings. 

Firstly, my old specs are as follows:

CPU:Intel i5-760,stock cpu cooler

RAM: 16 GB(4X4GB DDR3 1600MHZ)

Storage: 1TB HDD

Motherboard:Asus P7H57D_V_evo (h57_express  chipset)

PSU:Corsair VX550W 

GPU: XFX HD5750 512MB

Case:Thermaltake Armor A90 (http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001612)

Fans:1x80mm

1x140mm or 120mm im not sure

And here is the link to the gpu i was thinking of buying: http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-400-series/rx-480-rs-8gb-dd-rx-480p8lfb6  

When i went to calcualte the estimated power consumption the result was :395Watts

So my questions are:

Will the new gpu fit my case?

Does my psu have enough power?

Since my motherboard has  PCIe 2.0 x16 slots will there be any problems regarding compatibility?

Thank you for your assistance ;)

Get a new cpu and mobo first then the 480

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

It'll work fine *As long as the PSU has the proper GPU power connections* and you could follow what the other dude said and get the cpu and mobo and possibly a newer PSU first as the CPU will bottleneck you although if you think it's a very good sale you could go for it... link?

1) It will fit.

2) Yes, it has enough power.

3) PCIe is backwards and forward compatible. Performance should not be hit too bad.

I strongly recommended that you upgrade soon after the graphics upgrade. The upgrade you are doing right now should hold you up just fine until you get the coin for a new build.

7 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

It'll work fine and you could follow what the other dude said and get the cpu and mobo first as it will bottleneck you although if you think it's a very good sale you could go for it... link?

Well the language is not english so i'm not sure how a link would help but here it is:http://www.instar-informatika.hr/graficka-xfx-radeon-rx-480-core-1288m-8gb-d5-3xdp-hdmi-akcija/XFX-RX-480P8LFB6/product/

The price is aproxx. 315 USD and thats the cheapest i can pass in my country for an rx480

I know it will bottleneck hard but i intend to change my mobo and cpu soon but i thought my gpu was the "weakest link" in the chain so i though i would change that first.

1 minute ago, Grgov said:

Well the language is not english so i'm not sure how a link would help but here it is:http://www.instar-informatika.hr/graficka-xfx-radeon-rx-480-core-1288m-8gb-d5-3xdp-hdmi-akcija/XFX-RX-480P8LFB6/product/

The price is aproxx. 315 USD and thats the cheapest i can pass in my country for an rx480

I know it will bottleneck hard but i intend to change my mobo and cpu soon but i thought my gpu was the "weakest link" in the chain so i though i would change that first.

Aight, looks good to me.

20 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

It'll work fine *As long as the PSU has the proper GPU power connections* and you could follow what the other dude said and get the cpu and mobo and possibly a newer PSU first as the CPU will bottleneck you although if you think it's a very good sale you could go for it... link?

Sorry i missed the as long as the psu has the proper gpu connections part.

My PSU has a 6+2 pin connector and the gpu requires one 8-pin connector so is that good or am i screwed?

Sorry to bother you and thanks for the info so far! :) 

Yup that's what an 8 pin is, it'll work fine.

Your system will actually only draw 170 for the 480 and about 100W for the rest, so 270W.

On the other hand your PSU isn't the best. But it will work.

Think about grabbing a used i7-920 or similar for your motherboard, and see if you can overclock it.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I wouldn't personally bother investing any more into upgrading the current core system. Get the RX480 for now and start saving for a new CPU/Motherboard. Hopefully with Zen around the corner and Kaby Lake, prices might go down a bit in a month or two; grab something then.

If you need a GPU to last for a few years, then the RX480 is the best choice; I say go for it and start planning for the core system upgrade since the current system will bottleneck you.

Personal opinion: if you're just looking to extend the life of your current desktop for another 2 years, upgrade to something more modest.  Get something lower end like a GTX 1050 or RX 460, or even consider going the older used route with a gtx 660 or radeon 7850.  Your PSU should be able to handle any of those.  Your cpu will still struggle in some current games, but it'll still be 3x better than your 5750.  Upgrading to an i7 isn't going to help a whole lot on that board imo, although it is a fairly cheap CPU if you can manage.

The general idea of investing in a better GPU before having a PC that can really use it isn't a strategy I really agree with, but people do seem to be in the habbit of doing this or suggesting it.  The reason I'm not a fan of it is because you're practically trapping yourself into buying a new PC within a set amount of time while the RX 480 would still be up to date.  I don't think you should be stretching to make that financial commitment with a piece of hardware you can only partially use. 

31 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Personal opinion: if you're just looking to extend the life of your current desktop for another 2 years, upgrade to something more modest.  Get something lower end like a GTX 1050 or RX 460, or even consider going the older used route with a gtx 660 or radeon 7850.  Your PSU should be able to handle any of those.  Your cpu will still struggle in some current games, but it'll still be 3x better than your 5750.  Upgrading to an i7 isn't going to help a whole lot on that board imo, although it is a fairly cheap CPU if you can manage.

The general idea of investing in a better GPU before having a PC that can really use it isn't a strategy I really agree with, but people do seem to be in the habbit of doing this or suggesting it.  The reason I'm not a fan of it is because you're practically trapping yourself into buying a new PC within a set amount of time while the RX 480 would still be up to date.  I don't think you should be stretching to make that financial commitment with a piece of hardware you can only partially use. 

I agree. Go for a cheaper GPU, and do a more wholesome computer upgrade.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I wouldnt buy an rx 480 into this cpu , ur cpu will struggle in the latest AAA titles , dont bother buying a new cpu tho , go for used cuz cpus tend to last quite a big time so u should be set with sth like an I5 4670 or so , this cpu is just briliiant .

pair it with a used mobo ( look for ones that are still in the warranty )  , Also a used gpu would be a wise choice in your current situation (if u want to cram the entire overhaul into a single sum of money )  .

u could go for sth cheaper than the 4670 and still be beyond the bottleneck region , ill try to figure out an example combo for you but u have to tell your max budget 

Regarding ur current setup ,

• The Psu will be fine  ( the newer the parts the lower the tdp )
  • Pci E 2.0 wont impact the perf  of Pce 3.0 cards , only a couple of fps 
  • The rx 480 will fit in your case 

Good luck 

from the info you've supplied i think this is your PC? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gvTfxY

we'll work with a budget of $240 USD, seeing as thats how much a XFX RX480 costs

Many people have criticised your CPU, but I don't see it that way. Your CPU performs almost as well as an i3-6100. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-760-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/m717vs3511 Upgrading to a i7-870 only yield an extra ~5% performance so that would seem like a waste of money. 

Unless you want to upgrade your MBD / CPU / RAM, which would be quite expensive, I feel like we can ignore CPU upgrade from the list (unless you have a larger budget, say $400, where you could spend $240 upgrading your system and the rest on GPU:

i3 6100 

H110 MBD

2x8GB DDR4 2133mhz RAM

total: $240

Conclusion:

I would recommend upgrading your entire system (MBD/CPU/RAM) to the ones mentioned above for $240. Then, if you have spare budget upgrading the GPU to a RX 460 / GTX1050 / GTX1050 ti   (for $100 - $140) http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-HD-5750-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/m7753vs3649

Sorry if this is confusing, im kind of writing my thoughts down as i go...

hope this helps...

7 hours ago, PigWithAMustache said:

Get a new cpu and mobo first then the 480

nope that I5 is still decent and dosent need upgrading before GPU

get the RX480 if you can get a good deal, there will be a little bit of bottlenecking posiably but not much. the I5 you have is still decent for 1080p gaming but maxing out games will proably stress it 100% in newer titles. i would get the GPU now and if you can later pick up a first gen I7. start by overclocking your CPU before getting a new one though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 hours ago, BenoitWW said:

from the info you've supplied i think this is your PC? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gvTfxY

we'll work with a budget of $240 USD, seeing as thats how much a XFX RX480 costs

Many people have criticised your CPU, but I don't see it that way. Your CPU performs almost as well as an i3-6100. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-760-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/m717vs3511 Upgrading to a i7-870 only yield an extra ~5% performance so that would seem like a waste of money. 

Unless you want to upgrade your MBD / CPU / RAM, which would be quite expensive, I feel like we can ignore CPU upgrade from the list (unless you have a larger budget, say $400, where you could spend $240 upgrading your system and the rest on GPU:

i3 6100 

H110 MBD

2x8GB DDR4 2133mhz RAM

total: $240

Conclusion:

I would recommend upgrading your entire system (MBD/CPU/RAM) to the ones mentioned above for $240. Then, if you have spare budget upgrading the GPU to a RX 460 / GTX1050 / GTX1050 ti   (for $100 - $140) http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-HD-5750-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/m7753vs3649

Sorry if this is confusing, im kind of writing my thoughts down as i go...

hope this helps...

Thanks for the tips, however none of them matter in the country i live in  the components you mentioned would costs something in the range of 400-500$ depending how good an offer i find. I know i could order them online but even if i found a component with free shipping my country has retarded custom laws and i would probably have to pay something like 40$ extra for so i wouldnt save much.

10 hours ago, Biggerboot said:

Ok so if i get a gtx 1050 Ti do you think i should be ok for games like World of Tanks, WarThunder and Dota at 1920x1080 because i mainly play those 3?

I mean  the main reasons i wanted to get the rx 480 is because its on a discount and i thought that gpu will last 2-3 years on 1080p. 

12 hours ago, Grgov said:

Ok so if i get a gtx 1050 Ti do you think i should be ok for games like World of Tanks, WarThunder and Dota at 1920x1080 because i mainly play those 3?

I mean  the main reasons i wanted to get the rx 480 is because its on a discount and i thought that gpu will last 2-3 years on 1080p. 

I can definitely say you'll see a huge improvement over your current GPU, and playable framerates on those games.  Again, it's your CPU that is the deciding factor, not the graphics card.  That's why I'm recommending you spend a little less on a graphics card for the purpose of extending your PC's life without breaking bank.  If the 1050 or 1050 ti is significantly cheaper than the RX where you are then get that, plus you'll have a bit more breathing room for the PSU.

17 hours ago, BenoitWW said:

For quad core optimized games that aren't AAA (not very many of those), he'll have almost similar performance.  However, the games he mentioned that he plays specifically are, at best, dual core optimized.  So his i5 is going to fall behind a low end skylake cpu, except in maybe dota 2.  Those comparison sites don't really give you the whole picture.

I do agree the i7 would be a waste.  First gen i7s just weren't that good, even at launch.