First Build Questions

OswaldJr

Hey, so this is my first time building a PC and I'm not really sure what would be good. Me and a few friends put a build together, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mgc6qk , and I would like to know if this build is decent or what would be need to be changed to keep it around the same price but better. My main concern is the motherboard says the memory type is DDR4-2133, and the RAM is DDR4-3200, so I assume there would be compatibility problems, and if there are, what motherboard to use instead. Leave anything else you notice needs to be fixed too :D

Thanks in advance

Get a Z170 board so you can overclock with the K chip, or drop to a non-k processor if you want to keep that board.

The RAM would clock down to a lower speed that'll work on the motherboard.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

4 minutes ago, OswaldJr said:

Hey, so this is my first time building a PC and I'm not really sure what would be good. Me and a few friends put a build together, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mgc6qk , and I would like to know if this build is decent or what would be need to be changed to keep it around the same price but better. My main concern is the motherboard says the memory type is DDR4-2133, and the RAM is DDR4-3200, so I assume there would be compatibility problems, and if there are, what motherboard to use instead. Leave anything else you notice needs to be fixed too :D

Thanks in advance

The ram will just go to a lower clock, and I'm pretty sure RAM clock speeds don't affect performance much.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

2 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

The ram will just go to a lower clock, and I'm pretty sure RAM clock speeds don't affect performance much.

Well I think buying that ram then would be a waste so my question now is "Should I upgrade the motherboard or downgrade the ram?" also how would these options affect performance I think performance-wise I would be better off upgrading the motherboard right?

Just now, OswaldJr said:

Well I think buying that ram then would be a waste so my question now is "Should I upgrade the motherboard or downgrade the ram?" also how would these options affect performance I think performance-wise I would be better off upgrading the motherboard right?

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you're better off downgrading RAM if you're not overclocking (K CPU's can be overclocked, and that motherboard doesn't allow it)

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

4 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you're better off downgrading RAM if you're not overclocking (K CPU's can be overclocked, and that motherboard doesn't allow it)

Oh, so if I were to want to overclock I would have to upgrade the board, and since I would be using this for gaming I would probably want to overclock right? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Q9Gj4D/asus-motherboard-z170a This one perhaps?

10 minutes ago, OswaldJr said:

if you upgrade your mother board, it allows you to get more out of your cpu and it will be alot longer until you need to buy a new mother board, but if you downgrade you save money

5 minutes ago, OswaldJr said:

Oh, so if I were to want to overclock I would have to upgrade the board, and since I would be using this for gaming I would probably want to overclock right? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Q9Gj4D/asus-motherboard-z170a This one perhaps?

Its compatible, but I'm not sure if its the one you want/will be the best.

I mean you don't need to overclock for gaming, what games do you plan to play and at what resolution etc.

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

There is no point in getting RAM that fast as your motherboard will cap it at 2133MHz. It will work though.

I would just get a GTX 1080 if you can afford 2 RX 480s.

You could then drop the PSU to 600W if you get 1 GTX 1080.

You can't overclock with that motherboard. You need a Z170 chipset board.

I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

1TB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB M.2 WD BLUE SSD

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD

Maybe you could get 1 gtx 1070, and a better CPU? Cause @Joe_MacDougall said to get a 1080 but it's not worth it with a 6600k IMO

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

Maybe you could get 1 gtx 1070, and a better CPU? Cause @Joe_MacDougall said to get a 1080 but it's not worth it with a 6600k IMO

Good point. Possibly. I mean if you're thinking of multi-gpu money probably isn't a limit.

I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

1TB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB M.2 WD BLUE SSD

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD

2 minutes ago, Joe_MacDougall said:

There is no point in getting RAM that fast as your motherboard will cap it at 2133MHz. It will work though.

I would just get a GTX 1080 if you can afford 2 RX 480s.

You could then drop the PSU to 600W if you get 1 GTX 1080.

You can't overclock with that motherboard. You need a Z170 chipset board.

Just to complete, 1 Great video card is better than 2 Good video cards, some games don't work well with 2 GPUs.

About the RAM, CPU and motherboard. There's not much difference in speeds, so you can get a 2133MHz and you'll be fine. If you aren't planning to overclock, stick with the H170 mobo and go for a i5 6600 non-K, or go for a Z170 mobo that supports overclocking.

3 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I think a 6600K won't bottleneck a 1080, specially at 2,5K and 4K

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QJ6bRG Or downgrade to a 6600k and save some money and if you want get a gtx 1080 over a 1070 with either the 6600k or the 6700k like the others said.

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QJ6bRG Or downgrade to a 6600k and save some money and if you want get a gtx 1080 over a 1070 with either the 6600k or the 6700k like the others said.

Put a 650W PSU, it won't use much power with only 1 GPU

1 minute ago, Murilo_A said:

Put a 650W PSU, it won't use much power with only 1 GPU

Oh yea, didn't even see the PSU.

1 hour ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Oh yea, didn't even see the PSU.

Btw what does it mean if a power supply is fully modular? I assume that's a good thing but just for clarification.

50 minutes ago, OswaldJr said:

Btw what does it mean if a power supply is fully modular? I assume that's a good thing but just for clarification.

Alright so non modular means that all the wires are wired into the PSU, semi modular means only the motherboard power is wired into it and the rest you clip in and fully modular means that all of the wires are able to be copied in and out making cable management easier and custom cables easier.

1 hour ago, OswaldJr said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zMPTZ8 So something like this as far as I can tell? Also is it worth getting an I7 or would I5 work just fine?

An i5 i5 should be fine but if you wanna shell out the extra cash you could get an i7 or GTX 1080

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

An i5 i5 should be fine but if you wanna shell out the extra cash you could get an i7 or GTX 1080

You could also get a cryorig h7 over the 212 but you could make another topic about this new parts list.