First time builder, around 4k USD budget for setup

Mateokunzer

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mateokunzer/saved/kQL999

Above is a PC I've been working on on PC part picker for the past few weeks, I am going to be able to purchase and use this PC some time between February and Summer. I am using this setup for streaming on twitch, some video editing and Gaming, everything from emulating nes to modern triple a games such as the witcher 3 and gtav. I will use the 4k monitor as my main one to game and edit, my left monitor to view my stream settings/other small tasks and my right monitor in portrait mode to view twitch chat and social media. I already have a few things such a logitech mouse and keyboardthat I might upgrade in the future, and I plan to build a custom L desk. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to improve my PC, cost or performance wise (maybe even both).

imded

Double the RAM and change over to X99/2011-3

The 1151 platform runs out of PCIe Lanes unbelievebly fast

2 minutes ago, harry4742 said:

Double the RAM and change over to X99/2011-3

The 1151 platform runs out of PCIe Lanes unbelievebly fast

It can still run two cards in SLI, and I'd advise OP to wait for the 1080 Ti anyway- it was just confirmed.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-confirms-gtx-1080-ti-and-unveils-club-geforce-elite/

He doesn't need 32GB of RAM either. 

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Don't get a 1TB SSD, go for something like a 500GB MX300/850 EVO, where's the 4k monitor? For editing you might want to cut back on the case a little (and use the money from the afformentioned change in SSD) to get a 6800k

The monitor is under coustum and thank you for the advice, didn't expect to get so much this fast lol

imded

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It can still run two cards in SLI, and I'd advise OP to wait for the 1080 Ti anyway- it was just confirmed.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-confirms-gtx-1080-ti-and-unveils-club-geforce-elite/

He doesn't need 32GB of RAM either. 

Video editing, GTA V (very likely Modded) 3 displays (means multible programs open) 16 GB will run out fast

It CAN but it will have to split them down to 2 8x connections if it might even reach that remember 1151 only carries 20 lanes

If you're going to build between feb and say, july, my best recommendation would be to wait until then to make your plans. By then we'll have a readily available new generation of AMD CPUs and GPUs, not to mention other things as well

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, harry4742 said:

Video editing, GTA V (very likely Modded) 3 displays (means multible programs open) 16 GB will run out fast

It CAN but it will have to split them down to 2 8x connections if it might even reach that remember 1151 only carries 20 lanes

That doesn't affect performance at all. Any difference is within the margin of error.

Even GTAV with lots of mods isn't going to run up 32GB of RAM usage. Video editing will benefit from it, but not immensely. He'd be better off upgrading his cooler instead so he can get a higher overclock on his CPU. That will make a far greater difference to video editin gperformance.

I left about $400 for your other peripherals

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4xXtLD
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4xXtLD/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($379.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360 40.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($189.89 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($188.97 @ Jet) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($152.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.41 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($638.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($638.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Corsair Crystal 460X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($139.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Case Fan: Corsair HD120 RGB 3-Pack w/Controller 54.4 CFM  120mm Fans  ($89.99 @ B&H) 
Monitor: LG 27MP67HQ 27.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($179.00 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: LG 27MP67HQ 27.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($179.00 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: LG 27UD68-W 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($462.98 @ Amazon) 
Speakers: Logitech Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers  ($59.90 @ Jet) 
Total: $3678.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-19 14:14 EST-0500

The geek himself.

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

he was using that for his monitor pretty sure

i just added a random monitor, which he can remove. But a 6800k should be plenty for him am I right?

The geek himself.

Thank you all for the advice! I have read all these reply's and when I get home I will mess with my list and post an updated one when I'm done.

imded

3 minutes ago, Mateokunzer said:

Thank you all for the advice! I have read all these reply's and when I get home I will mess with my list and post an updated one when I'm done.

Have fun building!

The geek himself.

I too would recommend a switch to X99 (and waiting until after Ryzen drops, or at least we know the price). A 6700k is better for pure gaming but you can clock any of the Broadwell line over 4 Ghz and the extra cores offer signifigantly better performance when doing numerous tasks at once.

When you are streaming you have your game running, a multi tabbed browser, your capture software, etc. Having a few cores to spend on all of those non game tasks is very nice.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mateokunzer/saved/j6xHxr

Hello, above is the latest version of my PC,  I am loving the help you are all giving me,  although as I am a first time builder and don't know absolutely everything there were some things I was worried about and I am wondering if there is a way I can prevent #2 from happening so I can get the best performance possible out of my rig. 

Screenshot_2016-12-20-07-04-12.jpg

imded

Update: I did a bit of research and realized that the second thing dosent really matter

imded

the firs thing isnt that bad most mainboards now have a feature that allows you to simply load the neu bios version on a usb stick and then they read it from a special port with the touch of a button, your just pulls it directly from the inet

the second thing is to simply watch out which ones are disabled :D

23 hours ago, Paradine Sage said:

When you are streaming you have your game running, a multi tabbed browser, your capture software, etc. Having a few cores to spend on all of those non game tasks is very nice.

4-core i7s are completely fine for this though as most games will only use 4 threads, leaving the other 4 for anything else. This build would be "great" for gaming, yes it would do everything you want and then some to spare, but for your usage a 6700K would be completely fine. One of the Twitch streamers that I watch plays games like GTAV and Watchdogs 2 at High settings on a build with a 4770K, a GTX 980 Ti and 16GB of RAM while streaming and also does video editing just fine. The point I would like to make is that if you are just starting out, and do not have a steady income to support you, you should most likely save up your money rather than spending so much. I would personally suggest something like the included build below, that forgoes some of the items that are non-essential for streaming (ie. RGB lights and 5.1 channel speakers);

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C2YFm8

As a sort of disclaimer that I now put on all posts like this; just because you can buy something doesn't necessarily mean you should. It all boils down to need versus want.