Do I need to return my power supply? Need help badly. (video showing problem)

RoryLogue

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/rory182/saved/2nzk - Here's my PC I built 3 weeks ago.

For the first 2-3 weeks my PC had a problem of turning on.

Every time I wanted to turn it on, I had to switch the power plug from the PC into a different socket and then it would turn on.

Today, my PC is randomly turning off, it can boot up sometimes and go to the start screen or even go further onto chrome, or it will just turn off before windows appears.

Do I need to return my power supply? Its a corsair RM750. I have no idea what's wrong. 

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRUi4Fppf-w

I had a slightly similar issue, except without the socket swapping, I ended up RMA'ing the MOBO but it could be different for you.

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

Do you have another power supply you could try in your system?

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Do you have another power supply you could try in your system?

Nope :(

Nope :(

Take the rig to your local comp store and ask if they can throw in a new psu for you to test it quickly?

Take the rig to your local comp store and ask if they can throw in a new psu for you to test it quickly?

I know thats more common in the US...but there's literally no computer stores who would do this.

I know thats more common in the US...but there's literally no computer stores who would do this.

Where are you?

Ask a friend maybe?

Anyway, it sounds more like the PSU than the mobo, due to the plug thing you mentioned

How does the cable itself look? Do you have another PSU cable to try?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Where are you?

Ask a friend maybe?

Anyway, it sounds more like the PSU than the mobo, due to the plug thing you mentioned

None of my friends are PC gamers, all console gamers (i just recently moved to PC). I'm in england but there's literally zero stores who would do this.

How does the cable itself look? Do you have another PSU cable to try?

Can I try a different cable? E.g. from previous PC? I don't know if that will damage anything or? It says 10A on it.

If it has a high enough guage, it'll be totally fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It'll be fine.

It'll be fine.

That was my current cable, ill try the same cable that powers my monitor for my psu then.

What? Then I don't know the guage amount for your monitor cable then?

What? Then I don't know the guage amount for your monitor cable then?

They're both the same.

Sorry, didn't make that clear.

Okay.

Okay.

Managed to boot to desktop with different cable and then it turned off again making the distinct noise in the video.

Are you putting your PC to sleep or turning it completely off? Some Mobos have trouble going to sleep/hibernating

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

Are you putting your PC to sleep or turning it completely off? Some Mobos have trouble going to sleep/hibernating

completely off

does it only turn off when running at 100% cpu? I had a problem where the pc was sapping too much than the psu could supply. Jump into the bios and look for staggered disk startup. that might solve it.

Quick thought. It sounds to me like something is shorting the Power supply out. ( hence needing to unplug it) This would be why the psu needs time to reset the trip. If you knock the pc then it turns off it sounds like you have a bare cable which is shorting the psu out. 

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

Just turned on again and now everything is working fine but I know it will go off soon...really confused with what to do here :(

completely off

That's weird, have you googled the issue? Is anyone with your PSU/Mobo having similar issues?

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

That's weird, have you googled the issue? Is anyone with your PSU/Mobo having similar issues?

Don't think its my motherboard, has to be PSU. The PSU is quite new from Corsair so haven't found anyone else with the same issue really.