Build $1000 max

grengrupgod

I need help on building a new PC for Christmas. My parents have had a good time this year with their business and have money to get me an even better PC. They said I can get it $1000 max they are spending. First question is, should I get it from the closest micro center at Gowanus Expy or should I order it online? But the thing is I'm scared to build it as I'm afraid I might damage parts. Plus ordering it online this close to Christmas? I don't know what site will deliver reliably in time for it. The thing is Micro Center costs a $100 building fee plus the taxes on the items add up so ordering online would be cheaper. Give advice. My theme should be all black, even all black with a hint of white would be fine. If you can, include a ASUS GTX 1070 Strix RGB i've been stalking it badly. Thank you in advance, whoever answers this.

--Don't need OS

--Don't need monitor (will be playing on TV)

--Don't need any peripherals

--I need wifi for my system

You don't need to have Micro Center build your PC if you buy the parts there. You can just buy the parts and build it yourself. Look around online for good deals on parts, then take the deals to Micro Center and ask if they'll match the price. Micro Center's price matching is at the managers' discretion, so you're not guaranteed to get the price.

I used to be quite active here.

2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

You don't need to have Micro Center build your PC if you buy the parts there. You can just buy the parts and build it yourself. Look around online for good deals on parts, then take the deals to Micro Center and ask if they'll match the price. Micro Center's price matching is at the managers' discretion, so you're not guaranteed to get the price.

Ah okay, no build list? Also thanks for the advice

16 minutes ago, grengrupgod said:

Something like this roughly

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.3 CFM CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($80.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.78 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card  ($389.38 @ Amazon) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($26.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.98 @ B&H) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Total: $1007.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-18 22:17 EST-0500

21 minutes ago, grengrupgod said:

Sorry! I can make a build list. I got caught up in the Micro Center advice :P I have one near my house, so I've dealt with them lots.

@grengrupgod

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($191.91 @ Jet) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($118.48 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($91.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($70.98 @ Directron) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.41 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($399.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($60.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.98 @ B&H) 
Total: $1050.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-18 22:14 EST-0500

Here you go. I'm a bit over budget, sorry! It's all black, and the motherboard is black and white. I added no cooler for the i5, as you don't NEED it, and I couldn't fit it into my budget. Here's some points-

If you buy at Micro Center, you'll pay sales tax. I'd order online to avoid most of it.

If you remove the SSD, you can change the 1070 to the ASUS STRIX. The Gigabyte G1 GAMING is black except for some orange on the fan side, which you won't see during operation.

If you remove the SSD, you can add a cooler.

If you change the case to a cheaper one, you can afford either the different 1070 or a cooler.

I made the motherboard overclockable so you could upgrade to a better, unlocked CPU later. You can change it to make the build cheaper.

Sorry, but I came just a bit over your budget. deXxter's build would be on-budget and performance would be the same, but it'll look uglier. Wait for sales to get better prices (duh.) You could change things all you want, too, don't just buy these things because I said so. These parts are reputable, and that's as far as my experience with them goes.

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, Kobathor said:

Sorry! I can make a build list. I got caught up in the Micro Center advice :P I have one near my house, so I've dealt with them lots.

I will update this post with a list once I'm done.

Okay, thank you. :)

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($251.99 @ SuperBiiz) i7 6700 without iGPU.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150M-PLUS WS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($55.37 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Jet) 
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card  ($389.38 @ Amazon) 
Case: DIYPC J180-W ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) $30 after rebates(how does DIYPC do this?)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1001.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-18 22:22 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($251.99 @ SuperBiiz) i7 6700 without iGPU.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150M-PLUS WS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($55.37 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Jet) 
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: DIYPC J180-W ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) $30 after rebates(how does DIYPC do this?)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1001.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-18 22:22 EST-0500

Nice, Is Xeon good for gaming? Also, should I trade out the SSD so I can get a better motherboard or case?  By the way do I need 8gb or 16gb if I'm just going to be playing games on steam? Thanks I hope you reply back :)

Just now, grengrupgod said:

Nice, Is Xeon good for gaming? Also, should I trade out the SSD so I can get a better motherboard or case?  By the way do I need 8gb or 16gb if I'm just going to be playing games on steam? Thanks I hope you reply back :)

it'll perform the same as an i7 for gaming, it'll be better than an i5 stock and usually overclocked while having less fps drops and stuttering. you don't need the features that come with a better motherboard, that one should be enough. newer AAA games will want more than 8gb, i'm already starting to choke on 8gb when i'm playing deus ex mankind divided so i'd recommend 16gb.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

it'll perform the same as an i7 for gaming, it'll be better than an i5 stock and usually overclocked while having less fps drops and stuttering. you don't need the features that come with a better motherboard, that one should be enough. newer AAA games will want more than 8gb, i'm already starting to choke on 8gb when i'm playing deus ex mankind divided so i'd recommend 16gb.

Ah thank you, you're a legend. I always see you around LTT, do you have the most posts? Or are you like a well-known community member?

Just now, grengrupgod said:

Ah thank you, you're a legend. I always see you around LTT, do you have the most posts? Or are you like a well-known community member?

not the most posts, this guy over here got 32k posts in 1 year. https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/235357-don_svetlio/

was featured in the LTT $1700 build log a few months ago.

11 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

not the most posts, this guy over here got 32k posts in 1 year. https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/235357-don_svetlio/

was featured in the LTT $1700 build log a few months ago.

wait, so I  can get all of these are micro center brooklyn/gowanus expy or do i have to order it online, and if so where can i get it where it would ship in time for christmas?

2 minutes ago, grengrupgod said:

wait, so I  can get all of these are micro center brooklyn/gowanus expy or do i have to order it online, and if so where can i get it where it would ship in time for christmas?

you'll have to check,but i think they won't have all the parts, you can get them at the linked websites instead. should be able to ship it in time for christmas unless they explicitly say otherwise.