ssd 100% usage

BishopGM

so these days windows i guess has f me up....

i had a wd caviar blue 1tb that was at 100% usage without anything really open tried many things nothing solved the problem permantly and after it started getting really slow after a format it was slow as hell so yep this hdd its done

so i went and got a sandisk 240gb pretty fast ssd that after booting and say browsing for 30 mins it goes up to 100% usage without anything running it doesnt impact speed tho but that close to 100% usage reallymakes me uncomfortable 

is there a solution?

10 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Um, are any programs using a large amount of your disk (in task manager)

nope thats why it bugs me

10 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Sounds like you might have some malware...

used malwarebytes didnts find anything

I would check if there is a firmware update for the SSD and check if there are maybe updates to the Sata controller on your MoBo, can be either or, really.

Also might be smart to use this is in admin command prompt: chkdsk /r /f

Press enter, if the drive is in use it will perform the check at boot!

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

Hey there, @BishopGM.

More often than not, those unusual disk usage spikes have been proven to be issues with some of the OS' services or updates. However, one can never be too careful, so I'd strongly recommend that you backup your important data, just to be on the safe side (if you haven't done so already).
After that go ahead and download the SSD manufacturer's diagnostic tool (or a 3rd party one if you want to double-check or if you can't find the tool in question) and test it for errors, just to make sure that the drive is working properly.

@ZothOmmog's suggestion about a firmware update (if available) is a really good idea as well. You should also check for available OS updates. Try resetting or updating your BIOS/UEFI, to see if that changes anything.
Give it a go with a different SATA port and cables as well.

As for the old drive, sorry that you had to go through that with your HDD. If the drive has failed and if it's still under warranty, I'd suggest that you contact the vendor you got it from go to that link to see if you can RMA it: WD Support Portal.

Please keep us updated. Cheers!
Boogieman_WD

WD Representative

http://www.wdc.com