To watercool a gpu, do you need the backplate?

Just now, PCNoobie said:

it depends on what cooler you get.

What. gtx 1080 waterblock, do i needa  blackplate?

1 minute ago, chowderblue said:

What. gtx 1080 waterblock, do i needa  blackplate?

I'm kinda confused about your question. Are you swapping your air cooler to water cooler?

Just now, PCNoobie said:

I'm kinda confused about your question. Are you swapping your air cooler to water cooler?

Yes i am taking off the stock cooler on my gpu and putting a water cooling block on there. do i need a backplate or is that for aesthetics??

Or are you talking about the gpu that pre-installed with water cooler?

Can I know which cooler you are getting?

9 minutes ago, chowderblue said:

^

i think you do need it since some heat can be cooled using the backplate

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Backplates have nothing to do with the water block, unless it's related to the way the block is screwed.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Err no? I'm unaware of any 3rd party GPU water block which 'needs' the back plate. 

You don't need the backplate at all.

The GPU, Vram and VRM cooling is not related to the backplate. Backplates are just for aesthetics on 95% of the cases, sometimes backplates can cool and help with the heat a little bit with the addition of heat transfer pads, however that's just and aid to the cooling, and most of the times it changes the temperatures VERY little. 

What you don't want is a backplate that traps heat, like EVGA did recently with their 10 series GPUs, they fixed the issue by sending thermal pads to the people with those GPUs. 

The bare back side of the PCB is perfectly fine regarding temperatures on all GPUs (excep those rare cases of GPUs that have vram chips on the back). 

The 1080 and Nvidia Titan X (Pascal) do benefit from the backplate slightly, but you don't need it. If you had a Titan X I'd suggest picking it up, but honestly with the 1080 the difference should be fairly minor.

12 minutes ago, ForsakenLive said:

You don't need the backplate at all.

The GPU, Vram and VRM cooling is not related to the backplate. Backplates are just for aesthetics on 95% of the cases, sometimes backplates can cool and help with the heat a little bit with the addition of heat transfer pads, however that's just and aid to the cooling, and most of the times it changes the temperatures VERY little. 

What you don't want is a backplate that traps heat, like EVGA did recently with their 10 series GPUs, they fixed the issue by sending thermal pads to the people with those GPUs. 

The bare back side of the PCB is perfectly fine regarding temperatures on all GPUs (excep those rare cases of GPUs that have vram chips on the back). 

The backplate didn't trap the heat, or at least that wasn't the main issue, since even the regular 1070 SCs didn't have backplates. They only sent those additional bigger thermal pads to apply in the back in order to help dissipate additional heat from the VRM mosfets. The issue was the lack of active cooling on the VRMs themselves (i.e.: there was nothing that dissipated the heat from the VRMs to the heatsink base) which was down to poor design. 

The backplate original function is to add rigidity to the PCB, that's why heavier cards usually come with them installed. Looks are secondary.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

No, if it was required it would come with the block.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

22 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

No, if it was required it would come with the block.

lol that is not the case at all, it could fully be required and not come with the water block.

Back-plates originally were only cosmetic add-on's. I have read that some GPU cards that come with water-blocks come with back plates and it seams to me that at least one (EVGA?) claims it's done to stiffen the card. 

With that said, if my cards were configured so that the card(s) were hanging off the slot(s), I would probably install a back-plate. However, if the card(s) were sitting in the slot(s) like mine do now, I wouldn't waste the money (unless I was going for looks). 

Looking down into the Cooler Master XB-EVO case (Not configured for looks!)

IMG_4995.JPG

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

23 minutes ago, Eddie Current said:

~snip~

Pretty much this, although on some cards with parts mounted on both sides of the PCB, or where there's excess heat produced, it does act as a giant heat spreader too. On the Titan X Pascal for example, I'd strongly suggest leaving the rear heat spreader/backplate on the card even if it's well supported because it does help with stability at high load, especially if you're overclocked.