1080p Gaming Rig

Kithkannin

Hello everyone and happy holidays to you all. My boyfriend decided that he would surprise me for xmas by taking a build I was tinkering with on pcpartpicker and buying the entire thing as a gift for me. So without further ado here are the parts minus a Wifi adaptor I will be buying myself and an SSD that I already have. Please let me know what you think. This build is for playing games at high settings with good frame rates at 1080p.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($191.91 @ Jet)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($49.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 470 8GB ROG STRIX GAMING Video Card  ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $645.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-18 01:38 EST-0500

Will be adding pictures as parts come in and I assemble the build.

20161223_182257.jpg

The RX470 is too weak for the i5 processor. Also, I would wait untill AMD zen comes out. It will end intel's monopoly :D

12 hours ago, Kithkannin said:

For anyone wondering here is the wifi card I am picking up (want something that will give me best possible performance via wifi as wired is not a possibility)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F42V83C/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This will yield much better results and save you $300 (assuming you need a new router)

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Higher-Bandwidth-Internet-Network/dp/B017R12KF2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1482043496&sr=8-4&keywords=100+ft+ethernet+cable+flat

12 hours ago, ShadySocks said:

The RX470 is too weak for the i5 processor. Also, I would wait untill AMD zen comes out. It will end intel's monopoly :D

All of this has been bought already and most of it will be here tomorrow afternoon. Lol. He surprised me with a list of tracking numbers on a paper with no other information (he likes to put me in difficult spots with information) Lol

Ethernet is not an option at all. So it has to be wifi. It is just a bit spotty in my room so I am getting a booster. Moved back in with parents to finish school faster. They wont let me run cables to network my room.

He made an unbalanced build (CPU heavy), and if he had waited one more month, he could have saved on the processor..

Ethernet is not an option at all. So it has to be wifi. It is just a bit spotty in my room so I am getting a booster. Moved back in with parents to finish school faster. They wont let me run cables to network my room.

Ethernet is better tho :P I don't think you need such an expensive wifi card. Also, unless they have a high end router you probably won't benefit from that wifi card.

Hello everyone and happy holidays to you all. My boyfriend decided that he would surprise me for xmas by taking a build I was tinkering with on pcpartpicker and buying the entire thing as a gift for me. So without further ado here are the parts minus a Wifi adaptor I will be buying myself and an SSD that I already have. Please let me know what you think. This build is for playing games at high settings with good frame rates at 1080p.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($191.91 @ Jet)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($49.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 470 8GB ROG STRIX GAMING Video Card  ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $645.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-18 01:38 EST-0500

Will be adding pictures as parts come in and I assemble the build.

Here is all of the parts so far. Waiting on processor, HDD, and fan splitter to arrive. Trying hard to resist building now while waiting for the other parts. Will update this post again when processor arrives then further posts will be in comments section.

PC PARTS.jpg

Ethernet is better tho :P I don't think you need such an expensive wifi card. Also, unless they have a high end router you probably won't benefit from that wifi card.

Agreed Ethernet is the best, but sometimes you got to do what you got to do. Also when I move out again I plan on getting one of those 5 antenna routers from asus to make the best out of this card.

He made an unbalanced build (CPU heavy), and if he had waited one more month, he could have saved on the processor..

Yeah he doesn't know about pcs he just saw that it was the one I was working on and decided to buy all of the parts for. I will be saving up for a 1070 most likely over time to replace the 470 with. For now though this setup I expect should run almost any game I throw at it with at least high settings at 1080 with high frame rates which is good enough as I'm just leaving behind consoles.

Updates with build. Sadly I5-6500 came DOA so had to get shipped back this morning and now awaiting new one. Found out that the power supply cables that come with the 430w are very stiff and do not want to help with cable management so will just wait for the replacement I5 to come in.

While building I came to discover that the Graphics card lies right against the second PCI slot that was to originally be used for a wifi card (wifi is unfortunately the only option for the mean time.) so after some research I came upon this WiFi Dongle. I would love to hear your opinions on its capability if you have any information on it. The plan is to use it for any online games I play and I will just download things when I can move it to the router. Again I know its not ideal, but sometimes you don't get a choice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MRVJY1G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

20161218_154732.jpg

20161218_154603.jpg

have you considered powerline ethernet? 

i3570k @4300Asus P8Z77-VKingston Fury 16Gb DDR3Asus 7970 Direct CUII TOP x2Samsung 830 256Gb, Enthoo Primo, EVGA 1000W P2 psu

Corsair K90Logitech G9xSamsung S27A750D 3D monitor, Pioneer A400Monitor Audio BR2 - 600T Enthoo Water Cooling Build blog

Pentium 4 HT 3.2GHz, Radeon X800Pro 256Mb, 2Gb DDR Ram, WinXP - Retro'04 Build log

On 12/22/2016 at 4:39 PM, EldarNi said:

have you considered powerline ethernet? 

That is something I am currently looking into actually.

Alright guys sorry for the delay, but got all the parts and have it assembled. So far I've thrown the Witcher 3 and Warhammer total war at it. Both games ran buttery smooth at high and am considering cranking them up to ultra just to see what happens. Still sorting out a good way to get Internet to the rig so for now the two games and mine craft (little brother loves it) are on it. 

Please forgive the ghetto set up including an ancient Microsoft keyboard. 

20161223_182257.jpg

20161223_170105.jpg

5 minutes ago, Kithkannin said:

Alright guys sorry for the delay, but got all the parts and have it assembled. So far I've thrown the Witcher 3 and Warhammer total war at it. Both games ran buttery smooth at high and am considering cranking them up to ultra just to see what happens. Still sorting out a good way to get Internet to the rig so for now the two games and mine craft (little brother loves it) are on it. 

Please forgive the ghetto set up including an ancient Microsoft keyboard. 

can try an ethernet adaptor or a pci-e wireless card if you can't have an ethernet cable plugged directly from the router. the build itself is pretty good(could have gotten a 4gb rx 480 instead of the 8gb rx 470).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

19 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

can try an ethernet adaptor or a pci-e wireless card if you can't have an ethernet cable plugged directly from the router. the build itself is pretty good(could have gotten a 4gb rx 480 instead of the 8gb rx 470).

Thanks I think down the road I will upgrade it to a 1070. I plan on using a pci-e card after I find a good adapter for it. Discovered that the graphics card cooler lies flush with the second pci-e port so need an extender to run it off of mobo so that it and the gpu have room for air.

1 minute ago, Kithkannin said:

Thanks I think down the road I will upgrade it to a 1070. I plan on using a pci-e card after I find a good adapter for it. Discovered that the graphics card cooler lies flush with the second pci-e port so need an extender to run it off of mobo so that it and the gpu have room for air.

there's a third pci-e slot you can use instead of using the blocked one. the gigabyte gc-w867d-i rev 4.2 is a good choice for a pci-e adaptor.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W