PC can't start up when GPU is plugged.

Toxicstriker

I was playing today, and my PC suddenly shut down. I tried to power it back on, but it didn't work. I fiddled with it for a while, and noticed that when I remove my GPU or unplug the cables from it (8-pin and 4-pin), the PC powers up. When I try to power it up with the GPU nothing happens, fans don't even start spinning. I just hear a click (think its from the PSU). In the past two years I've changed 2 PCU's (Coolermaster v750) that died on me, and even trough 750W should be enough for this setup i decided to get 1000W just to rule out power insufficiency. PC is working fine with the integrated graphics and is booting every time. The thing that is most surprising is that if i remove the cables from the GPU it powers up. Does that mean the GPU is not dead?

Specs

CPU Intel i5 4690k (stock cooler)

GPU Asus r9 290

PSU Coolermaster v1000

Mobo z97-a 

RAM Kingston 16gb 1600MHz

dat overkill psu tho... i was about to point it out as being the probable cause but omg... and i was thinking the k series processor didnt come with stock coolers....

Sounds like you have dead GPU because the fan should at lest spin or it might be it just need a good clean and it over heating.. 

4 minutes ago, Trevor87 said:

Sounds like you have dead GPU because the fan should at lest spin or it might just need a good clean. 

Nothing spins, not even cpu's fan, no lights light up. If i plug my GPU in the PCIE but i leave the 8-pin and the 4-pin not connected, the GPU's fans start up. Only when i connect the cables the PC doesn't start.

5 minutes ago, Howitz said:

dat overkill psu tho... i was about to point it out as being the probable cause but omg... and i was thinking the k series processor didnt come with stock coolers....

Its Skylake K series and up that don't have stock coolers.

2 minutes ago, Toxicstriker said:

Nothing spins, not even cpu's fans, no lights light up. If i plug my GPU in the PCIE but i leave the 8-pin and the 4-pin not connected, the GPU's fans start up. Only when i connect the cables the PC doesn't start.

Does everything work fine using the integrated graphics?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Its Skylake K series and up that don't have stock coolers.

Does everything work fine using the integrated graphics?

Right now im working with the same pc with the integrated graphics. Everything looks fine.

Could it be from GPU overheating? It was relatively hot when PC shut down, trough it wasn't that hot when this happened.

26 minutes ago, Toxicstriker said:

I was playing today, and my PC suddenly shut down. I tried to power it back on, but it didn't work. I fiddled with it for a while, and noticed that when I remove my GPU or unplug the cables from it (8-pin and 4-pin), the PC powers up. When I try to power it up with the GPU nothing happens, fans don't even start spinning. I just hear a click (think its from the PSU). In the past two years I've changed 2 PCU's (Coolermaster v750) that died on me, and even trough 750W should be enough for this setup i decided to get 1000W just to rule out power insufficiency. PC is working fine with the integrated graphics and is booting every time. The thing that is most surprising is that if i remove the cables from the GPU it powers up. Does that mean the GPU is not dead?

Specs

CPU Intel i5 4690k (stock cooler)

GPU Asus r9 290

PSU Coolermaster v1000

Mobo z97-a 

RAM Kingston 16gb 1600MHz

Do you have another 8-pin cable on the PSU you can try? On another plug in the PSU if modular.

3 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

Do you have another 8-pin cable on the PSU you can try? On another plug in the PSU if modular.

Tried with another cable witch has both 8pin and 6pin, tried with two different cables one of them plugged with only 8pin and the other with the 6pin. I tried all 5 slots of the PSU. Nothing worked.

PS In my original post i have typed 8+4 pins, its actually 8+6, but it shouldn't matter

4 minutes ago, Toxicstriker said:

Tried with another cable witch has both 8pin and 6pin, tried with two different cables one of them plugged with only 8pin and the other with the 6pin. I tried all 5 slots of the PSU. Nothing worked.

PS In my original post i have typed 8+4 pins, its actually 8+6, but it shouldn't matter

Yeah, I can only think of something shorted out, you have the wrong wire plugged into the wrong spot, or the GPU died / has a failing component. I know my server PSU will not start if there's a short present in the system. I derped up and accidently plugged a CPU 8-pin into the GPU power...

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, I can only think of something shorted out, you have the wrong wire plugged into the wrong spot, or the GPU died / has a failing component. I know my server PSU will not start if there's a short present in the system. I derped up and accidently plugged a CPU 8-pin into the GPU power...

Thing is that the PC has worked for more than half a years like this. Today i was in a game and it suddenly shut down. There hasn't been a problem with this current PSU until today. I haven't moved my PC I haven't touched cables, and all cables are in the corresponding slots.

Tomorrow i will get a different GPU from a friend of mine, and try it out on my PC.

Just now, Toxicstriker said:

Thing is that the PC has worked for more than half a years like this. Today i was in a game and it suddenly shut down. There hasn't been a problem with this current PSU until today. I haven't moved my PC I haven't touched cables, and all cables are in the corresponding slots.

That is pretty strange. It's possible the GPU may have died...I had a GTX 480 that literally cooked the VRAM to death / had to be RMA'd.

I would try another GPU.

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

That is pretty strange. It's possible the GPU may have died...I had a GTX 480 that literally cooked the VRAM to death / had to be RMA'd.

I would try another GPU.

World of Warcraft shouldn't be able to cook any GPU let alone R9 290. I will try with another GPU tomorrow, and I will try my GPU on another PC. Will post the results here when I'm finished.

Would CMOS reset (with the jumpers thingy) or removing the battery do anything? Don't really know how that works and what it helps with.

Yeah, definately sounds like a GPU fault. Sometimes things just fail, you don't have to do anything. The heat from playing a game maybe have made the failure happen. Let us know what happens when you try another GPU.

1 minute ago, Pyrii said:

Yeah, definately sounds like a GPU fault. Sometimes things just fail, you don't have to do anything. The heat from playing a game maybe have made the failure happen. Let us know what happens when you try another GPU.

Btw, does it matter if its high end GPU or any old one would do the troubleshooting?

actually there is a thread i saw where the guy spilled some soup on the back of the gpu and it never booted up again with the gpu on , there is definetly something fried / shorted , report back after u have tested with the other gpu 

the most common stuff that gets fried ( high current or heat ) are caps , vrms , vrams , traces on the pcb

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be having the same problem. My pc will only turn on if the gpu is not connected. If it is nothing starts up the case fans leds nothing.