Which MB should I buy? Help please!

Afabril

I'm planning to build a new pc mainly for gaming with a i7-6700k processor and a gtx 1070 graphics card (probably EVGA or gigabyte) but I know nothing about motherboards or their pros and cons. People recommend me a z170 model but I came here for suggestions about brands and references. Not planning on doing SLI but i do care about OC. take on count I don't have infinite budget, so the MB has to be at a good cost (not that high, not that low). I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Afabril said:

I'm planning to build a new pc mainly for gaming with a i7-6700k processor and a gtx 1070 graphics card (probably EVGA or gigabyte) but I know nothing about motherboards or their pros and cons. People recommend me a z170 model but I came here for suggestions about brands and references. Not planning on doing SLI but i do care about OC. take on count I don't have infinite budget, so the MB has to be at a good cost (not that high, not that low). I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Where do you live?

Can you give us an actual budget to work with?

What features are a must-have?

Which features would you like to have, but are not a necessity?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

10 minutes ago, Afabril said:

snip

Z170 is a good motherboard from what I hear. A lot of people love that motherboard. 

Personally I have an Asus motherboard, but it's for an older i5. 

My father likes MoBo's from MSI. 
ASRock sells low cost motherboards. 

If you care about overclock, go on websites you like, for instance amazon, or newegg, and find motherboards that have the socket you need. Then whichever ones you like, see if they have overclocking. 

If not check some of the websites for the brands I mentioned, and see what has the fearures you like, and make sure it has the right socket. 

5 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

Where do you live?

Can you give us an actual budget to work with?

What features are a must-have?

Which features would you like to have, but are not a necessity?

I live in Colombia.

About 200 usd of budget.

Don't know much about which features I would need. I believe standar things.

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

Z170 is a good motherboard from what I hear. A lot of people love that motherboard. 

Personally I have an Asus motherboard, but it's for an older i5. 

My father likes MoBo's from MSI. 
ASRock sells low cost motherboards. 

If you care about overclock, go on websites you like, for instance amazon, or newegg, and find motherboards that have the socket you need. Then whichever ones you like, see if they have overclocking. 

If not check some of the websites for the brands I mentioned, and see what has the fearures you like, and make sure it has the right socket. 

1. Z170 is not a motherboard, it's just a chipset

2. And a motherboard doesn't just have "overclocking", it doesn't work like that

3 minutes ago, Afabril said:

I live in Colombia.

About 200 usd of budget.

Don't know much about which features I would need. I believe standar things.

Just buy the cheapest Z170 motherboard that aesthetically looks good to you, can't go wrong.

Stay away from gigabyte cards this generation. EVGA coolers are also underperforming.

I've had a EVGA 1070 FTW before all the VRM issues that I managed to exchange and got a MSI gaming X which runs much cooler. 

The most reliable mobos come from MSI and Gigabyte, according to failure rates. 

ASUS makes good motherboards but if you have an issue you're in to a world of pain because their RMA/Support is absolute garbage. 

ASRock is also good, and they don't make value boards only anymore, since they aren't no longer affiliated with ASUS.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

2 minutes ago, brokencross said:

Stay away from gigabyte cards this generation. EVGA coolers are also underperforming.

I've had a EVGA 1070 FTW before all the VRM issues that I managed to exchange and got a MSI gaming X which runs much cooler. 

The most reliable mobos come from MSI and Gigabyte, according to failure rates. 

ASUS makes good motherboards but if you have an issue you're in to a world of pain because their RMA/Support is absolute garbage. 

The VRM issue has been fixed, but EVGA has the best customer support and warranty hands down. 

For motherboards, they rarely ever fail, so don't worry.

4 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

The VRM issue has been fixed, but EVGA has the best customer support and warranty hands down. 

For motherboards, they rarely ever fail, so don't worry.

Yeah, I know. As a matter of fact there wasn't any VRM issue. Just some faulty caps on some cards. Although the lack of active cooling on the mosfets was a major oversight. 

Point is, the cooler on the EVGA cards is inferior to other vendor cards. Just that.

But yeah, EVGA does have the best customer support in the industry. But I would pass on their cards this generation, knowing what I know today. 

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

I have GIGABYTE Z170X GAMING 5 since a year now .

I'm MARIA 23 years old Girl (Female) .

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

If you have the budget and like the look: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132715

Here is a cheaper option that looks nice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130900&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I would personally go with the ASUS because I like the white look better but both are very good imo.

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |